Excursions as a solo

Thamsey

Sandy, Lois, Ellie, and all other concerned citizens:

I apologize. Apparently I wrongly gave you the impression that I was only kidding around about the "bunny slipper" thing. In preparation for my next cruise I just received a delivery on Monday from www.onlyslippers.com. You are all very smart people, so it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out which pair I got. Can't wait to wear them on a shore excursion!

Paul

Hi...I was thinking the same thing.:D ..except Paul said they

are for excursions...so on the same page are a pair

of THONGE sandals;) .....its either the bunnies or thonges LOL:D

Greetings!

I just got off the Maasdam this morning after a wonderful ten day cruise. I went solo on this trip and would rate it as a 9 out of 10!!

I mainly do my tours with local tour guides that have good reviews on this board. So far with the four cruises that I've taken since finding this board, I only had two negative shore excursions. One of the bad ones was on this cruise.

Now let me say this about the tour, I felt that if I was part of a group or a family, that I would rate it as good. But as a solo cruiser (and the only one on this excursion) that's a different story.

I was in Barbados and went on a turtles tour (swim with the turtles). My tours the past two days were excellent and I had a good time and the tour guides treated me with respect. The same couldn't be said about this tour.

I guess that the crew felt that as a solo person, no or little tip involved. Free drinks were on this tour and the crew members were constantly offering and refilling the two large family group drinks. Not once was I asked if I wanted something. I finally went to the bar area to get a drink. After this, if I wanted something, I had to get it myself.

At the turtle site, I was having problems with the vest, no assistance,even when I asked. I curt response was all I got. Towards the end of the sailing, one of the crew removed the backing that I was sitting along. Another crew member made the comment that I was in the way. Never mind that right across from me a couple was sitting along the same type of backing that I was. I really felt that I wasn't wanted on the tour. This was the one time that I was glad that the tour was over.

Normally when I have a good time, I tip over the cost. In St. Martin,St. Lucia and Road Town, all the tour guides were wonderful and I thank them for a good time a tip. Not on this.

I e-mail the owner of this tour about what happen. Since I just sent the e-mail not too long ago, I expect a reply soon.

I have no problem touring as a solo cruiser and all I want is to be treated the same as the other people on the tour, not an outcast. This won't stop me from touring with other local guides that are suggested.

To close, the tour guide in St. Lucia said it best. He mentioned about another local guide that had a good cruise guest base for years. The guide start cutting back on customer service and his business went downhill. The guide mentioned that this website and others can send or reduce alot of business for them and each guest should be treated as a VIP.

Hi:) ....glad you had a good cruise but so sorry the tour folks

treated you so poorly:(. I, like you overtip when the service

is good. And if not......I won't tip at all.

I hope you receive a reply from the owners that is for sure!

What tour did you do in St. Lucia? I am going to be there on

my cruise in March 2008. I usually go with the cruiseline but am

not opposed to Indenpendent Operators on a recommendation.

Hi:) ....glad you had a good cruise but so sorry the tour folks

treated you so poorly:(. I, like you overtip when the service

is good. And if not......I won't tip at all.

I hope you receive a reply from the owners that is for sure!

What tour did you do in St. Lucia? I am going to be there on

my cruise in March 2008. I usually go with the cruiseline but am

not opposed to Indenpendent Operators on a recommendation.

I toured with Cosol. He was really great!! Be warned, if you are carsick, sit in the middle!! I sat in the front and the roads are very twisted!! You will have a great time with him. The things that I like about him was the tour was great, he has great pride in his island of St. Lucia, and he tell you that this website is a boon for him and he don't forget that it's cruisers that come back and tell everyone about their tours and he tries to give you the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to make some friends before October. My tentative plans include sailing at HMC, snorkeling with Captain Nautica in St. Thomas, staying on the ship in San Juan (I've done most of what I want to do there), and SNUBA in Grand Turk. Of course if I make some friends my plans might change.

Archived