Nervous about first cruise - How Safe?

I keep hearing about accidents on cruise ships. Last yr, it was the tipping of the Princess ship where lots of people were hurt, this yr, people are falling off cruise ships (how can you FALL from a cruise ship?) I did hear on Crown Princess last year they failed to do a head count or stop the boat after it tipped over. Do they have good safety guidelines? What about security on the ship? Does it differ between cruise line?

My husband and I are planning on taking our two young daughters (5 and 8) on the Freedom of the Seas. The size of the Freedom absolutely scares the hell out of me, my husband talked me into it. While we don't plan on letting our kids go anywhere alone (besides the kids center), how safe are cruises in general? I know this is like asking the CEO of an airline how safe air travel is, but I'd like some honest answers. We come from a very safe town in CT and expect the same level of safety while on vacation.

Thank you all.

As a single Mom, I never feel safer on a vacation than cruising while taking my children. We camp a lot too, but I get more nervous doing that than a cruise. But I have to admit: I have yet to experience a cruise ship tipping or enormous waves. If that were to happen, I dare say I would freak.

Before we left on our last cruise I educated my children about the dangers of a cruise ship (do not lean over the balcony, etc etc). My 10 year old son is one of those kids who does first, and then thinks. Just minutes after we get on the ship, he puts a chair by the balcony railing, leans over and shouts "Mom, look......if I bend down a little more I can almost touch the next deck".

*Sigh*

I guess my eduction failed miserably with him, and I had to sit him down again to explain what would happen if he fell overboard. With some kids you just have to be a little more explicit than with others (my other 3 kids are just the opposite).

So, my advice: sit them down and teach them about the perils of a ship (without scaring them). Keep an eye on them, and enroll them in the kids program.

Welcome to Cruise Critics and to cruising. You will love it. There is a small possibility that you may even become addicted.....but, I think you will be totally safe and your children will be safer - more safe in fact then they are in school. My advice is not to ever make any decisions based on what you see in the media but especially about cruising. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned flying. More people fall down steps and die each year than all of the flying deaths total! but not so in the "we sell advertising media" ........... It's normal for you (and everyone else) to be nervous about doing something for the first time. If I were going to pick a safe place for my 6 grand children to play it would be on a cruise ship - ANY cruise ship. Freedom of the Seas is in a class all by itself right now but it is as safe as humanly possible....and relatively new. Relax, enjoy, and leave the worrying to those who get paid for it. :)

Regardless of where you are anything can happen but with that said I have been cruising for 21 years and have now cruised 29 times and I find that there is no better vacation. Basically it all comes down to common sense and using it. A cruise ship the size of Freedom is no different than any small city.

You stated that you are keeping your children with you at all times other than the kids center. That is a very good decision. I wish more parents would follow this rule.

As far as folks going overboard, one can not just fall overboard as the railings are waist high on most folks. One has to make themselves fall overboard. My suggestion is to focus on the good things about your cruise and use the same common sense that you would use in your everyday life. Cruise ships are safe and when you take into the account the amount of passengers that step aboard a cruise ship each week around the world, the number of incidents are pretty darn low. My bet is your going to come back addicted to cruising.:) Enjoy the Freedom.

WestportMom - I cruise solo (well, third time coming up) and I feel safer cruising alone than any other vacation. But, that doesn't mean I let my guard down. Personal responsibility is a big factor in anyone's safety. I will be on my 10th cruise and have never experienced any problems. That's not to say they don't happen. But use the common sense you use at home to keep you and yours safe and you'll have a great time.

Please do not worry. I too was a cautious Mum and on a cruise ship I think it is easier to keep track of your kids than on a beach. Similarly, you wouldn't let your kids climb over a hotel balcony and you wouldn't let your kids climb on the ship's railings. The kids club is excellent so no worries there. I think you will have a wonderful time. We have had 6 excellent cruises and were converted to cruising (so was our daughter) after the very first time.

Cruise ships are very safe and ship's security very good IMHO. It is a controlled enviroment as you need documentation to be onboard so you are not exposed some of the lower life as you would be in a regular community. It is like a gated community.

People fall off cruise ships by being too drunk and/or doing stupid thing like sitting on the railing of your balcony. All passenger and luggage are checked for weapons and other nasty stuff.

If I had young children on a cruise ship I would lean towards a non balcony cabin or at least make sure there is no furniture close to the railing that they could climb on.

Yes, the Freedom is very large and I would definately instruct any young children to immediately go to a crew member (point out uniformed one which would look similar to a police officer to a young child) if they get separated from you.

Welcome aboard Cruise Critic. As stated, its natural to be a little nervous about something new. We first started cruising with our kids a couple of years ago and while they are older than yours, my wife and I kept a close eye on them and found that the ship was probably the best and safest place for them for vacation. You will have an option to require parental sign-out from the kids club or you can choose to allow them to come and go on their own (for just some ages - I don't recall what the cutoff is.)

The railings are high and you have to do something stupid to go over. The recent Princess event was true but hyped by the media. Although they didn't publically report it, it sounds like a fair bit of alcohol was mixed with some romantic events on the balcony railing and its possible one slipped and grabbed the other and the rest was in the news. These events are less frequent that airplane incidents. I'd rather cruise than fly or drive as I feel it is safer. I'll bet you come back hooked and you'll have a hard time getting your kids to leave the kids club facilities.

Have a great cruise and let us all know your opinions after you are home. :):)

My brother-in-law is cruising to Alaska this summer. He decided to give up the balcony so he does not have that constant concern of his pre-teen boys goofing around (12 and 10). My girls when they were young like your dghts would never have climbed up by the railing. Do what you need to do for your own peace of mind. A talk definately is in order no matter what the age.

There is a risk in being anywhere for instance in hotels(fire), California (earthquakes), planes (crashing), cars (drunk drivers). For yrs I let fears keep me from going some places. Go and make some wonderful family memories...

the safest place for them is the kids club(seriously),and they will have a great time,and it will give you and your hubby some free time to relax and have fun too:)),so its a win win situation,have a great time:));) :p

the safest place for them is the kids club(seriously),and they will have a great time,and it will give you and your hubby some free time to relax and have fun too:)),so its a win win situation,have a great time:));) :p

Oh Venice! You are going to have such a great time. Enjoy! :)

I keep hearing about accidents on cruise ships. Last yr, it was the tipping of the Princess ship where lots of people were hurt, this yr, people are falling off cruise ships (how can you FALL from a cruise ship?) I did hear on Crown Princess last year they failed to do a head count or stop the boat after it tipped over. Do they have good safety guidelines? What about security on the ship? Does it differ between cruise line?

My husband and I are planning on taking our two young daughters (5 and 8) on the Freedom of the Seas. The size of the Freedom absolutely scares the hell out of me, my husband talked me into it. While we don't plan on letting our kids go anywhere alone (besides the kids center), how safe are cruises in general? I know this is like asking the CEO of an airline how safe air travel is, but I'd like some honest answers. We come from a very safe town in CT and expect the same level of safety while on vacation.

Thank you all.

It's safer than staying at home...

Enjoy your cruise.

LL

Thank you all.

You have received a lot of sage advice already, but I can address the highlighted concern.

I was on the Crown Princess. Yes, it was VERY frightening at the time. It is true that no one took a head count. That didn't bother me, as everyone seemed to be tracking his or her own party. Those of us who were unhurt helped the others reunite with their families or parties.

And it didn't "tip over". It leaned, or listed, approximately 18%. It is close to impossible for a cruise ship to tip OVER.

The ship absolutely DID stop. See how the media misleads and misinforms? Of course we stopped. Then we turned around and went back to Port Canaveral.

Not only did it not turn me away from cruising, I would have gotten on the very next cruise out on the Crown Princess if they had let me! I have cruised since, and have many more cruises planned.

As everyone here has said, you are actually safer on a cruise ship than almost anywhere else. You should exercise your normal, everyday caution and sense, and it seems that you have already planned to do that.

Come back to the board and ask any questions that you have before you cruise, then come back after your cruise and tell us how much you loved it!

When you consider that there are about 12 and a half million people who cruise every year, the number of accidents, illnesses, and incidents of crime are very low. There is always the possibility of an accident in any mode of transportation, but cruising is much safer than riding in an automobile. Even the most serious events, such as the school ship that was caught in a major storm, produced very little in the way of injuries to the passengers. Indeed, a very common complaint is that some ports were changed when the captain changed the itinerary to avoid bad weather.

While our children are grown, I've observed a lot of kids on the cruise ships, and they seem to be having a wonderful time. I think that your children will love it, too.

It would be a good idea to go over with you kids what to do if they get separated from you. The ships are large and sometimes adults wander away from young people.;) While the security is generally unobtrusive, they do keep a watchful eye out. I am sure that any of the crew would quickly call for help if a young person got lost.

You have received a lot of sage advice already, but I can address the highlighted concern.

I was on the Crown Princess. Yes, it was VERY frightening at the time. It is true that no one took a head count. That didn't bother me, as everyone seemed to be tracking his or her own party. Those of us who were unhurt helped the others reunite with their families or parties.

And it didn't "tip over". It leaned, or listed, approximately 18%. It is close to impossible for a cruise ship to tip OVER.

The ship absolutely DID stop. See how the media misleads and misinforms? Of course we stopped. Then we turned around and went back to Port Canaveral.

Not only did it not turn me away from cruising, I would have gotten on the very next cruise out on the Crown Princess if they had let me! I have cruised since, and have many more cruises planned.

As everyone here has said, you are actually safer on a cruise ship than almost anywhere else. You should exercise your normal, everyday caution and sense, and it seems that you have already planned to do that.

Come back to the board and ask any questions that you have before you cruise, then come back after your cruise and tell us how much you loved it!

Thank you so much. It's great to hear from you.

Thank you all.

My daughter went on her first cruise when she was about a year and a half old (ok, my father-in-law took the whole family). She's still around at age 10, no worse for wear. They take good care of the kids in that program.

As for people falling off (or jumping off) cruise ships, what I've heard is that they were substance-impaired (whether it was alcohol or something else I don't know). I was a bit worried about this on my first cruise, but you really have to work to fall off.

I think you face more potential hazards in a port than onboard, but as long as you keep your wits about you there should be no problem even there.

Cruising is no different from any other aspect of life--there are dangers everywhere. On a cruise ship, the possibilities are really no different from anywhere else--flying, driving, walking, etc... And, just like your everyday life, you must take personal responsibility for yourself and family.

Most of the "accidents" are caused by stupidity. Malfunctions of the vessel are practiced and trained for, just like the airlines do. There are no guarantees in life--and cruising is the same. BUT--you will be as safe there as anywhere! Enjoy!

We have been on 20 cruises and one of them was 10 weeks after the tilt on Crown Princess. Never thought about it the entire time except at the theater when the comic said "Welcome to the tiltin Hilton." We fly alot and have no fear of terriorists onboard. I feel bad for people who are living in fear everyday, all day. So much is media driven and blown out of proportion. In Jan. we sailed with four of five grandchildren ages 20, 13, 8 and 2. It was such a great experience that noone will ever forget. #21 coming up 5/27, can't wait. Get out there, folks; happy cruising.

Welcome to Cruise Critics and to cruising. You will love it. There is a small possibility that you may even become addicted.....but, I think you will be totally safe and your children will be safer - more safe in fact then they are in school. My advice is not to ever make any decisions based on what you see in the media but especially about cruising. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned flying. More people fall down steps and die each year than all of the flying deaths total! but not so in the "we sell advertising media" ........... It's normal for you (and everyone else) to be nervous about doing something for the first time. If I were going to pick a safe place for my 6 grand children to play it would be on a cruise ship - ANY cruise ship. Freedom of the Seas is in a class all by itself right now but it is as safe as humanly possible....and relatively new. Relax, enjoy, and leave the worrying to those who get paid for it. :)

Thought it a bit humorous that this reply came from someone with a "Jolly Roger - Skull and Crossbones" picture. :-) BUT i agree completely. Accidents can happen anywhere, the people falling off have to really work at it, due to alcohol or general stupidity.

Our kids were 11 ( twins) on their Cruise, and we just set rules of behavoir for them and never had any issues. They have now been on 7 Cruises, 13 for us, and never an issue.

I agree with everyone who said cruising is just as safe as any place in the world, if not safer. As stated earlier, the cruise line has everyone's information (name, address, credit card #) so someone would have to be really crazy to pull something fishy on board. It's nearly impossible to fall over the railing unless you climb to the edge. I was on the Crown Princess when it listed and even on a ship listing at 18 degrees, nobody managed to fall overboard. As MerionMom said, the ship stopped and turned around to go back to Port Canaveral. Nearly every crew member was dispatched to ask passengers if everyone in their party was accounted for. Princess did a fine job handling the situation. The media is great, isn't it?:rolleyes:

I also would recommend getting an inside or a ocean view cabin just to be extra safe. You never know what kids will do, but lay out the rules before you board.

You're going to have a great time. I admit, the Freedom seems a bit intimidating but I can't wait to sail on her. You're going to be amazed once you board. What's your itinerary?

I tell you my biggest concern while cruising on Freedom was the thought of a fire on board. I feel those huge Centrums would act like chimneys and draw the smoke upward. I think the panic involved in a fire on board would kill hundreds if not thousands.

I think the Star Princess fire was a wakeup call, but is anyone listening? I have this horrible feeling that one day something terrible will happen on board a ship and that particular line's days will be over. The trend towards bigger and bigger ships with more and more passengers packed in together.

I just have visions of a repeat of an MGM Grand type fire but at sea.

Archived