Love in Any Language.......????

sail7seas

As long as we have been cruising w/ HAL, we have always heard (and loved) that song. Anyone know the origin of it? Is it an original compostion for HAL? Does anyone remember sailing HAL and it was NOT sung?

The song was written by Sandi Patti. I don't know how long HAL has been using it.

Sandi Patti

Love In Any Language

Je T'aime(french), Te Amo(spanish), Ya Tyibya Lyubluy(russian phonetic),

Ani Ohevet Othaka (hebrew), I Love you, the sounds are all as different

as the lands from which they came, and though our words are all unique,

Our hearts are still the same

Chorus:

Love in any Language, straight from the Heart, Pulls us all Together

never apart,

and once we learn to speak it all the world will hear,

Love in any Language Fluently spoken here.

We teach the young our differences, yet look how we're the same

we love to laugh to dream our dreams, we know the sting of pain

from Lenningrad to Lexington, The farmer loves His Land,

and Daddies all get misty eyed to give their daughter's hand

Oh, Maybe when we realize how much there is to share

we'll find too much in common to pretend it isn't there

(chorus)

though the rhetoric of government may keep us worlds apart,

there's no misinterpreting the language of the Heart

(chorus x3)

Love in any language Fluently spoken here,Love in any language Fluently

spoken here

My second Holland America cruise was on Rotterdam V, during the summer of 1971. "Love in Any Language" was definitely NOT sung on that voyage. This was the time when the Dutch/European crew were in the process of being replaced by the Indonesians. Both ethnic groups were aboard, with most, if not all, of the cabin and dining room stewards European. While leaving a port one afternoon, I was standing with some other passengers on an observation area forward of the Upper Promenade Deck, with a great view over the bow and all the activities that occur there during sailing or docking. Some of the off-duty crew of both nationalities were there also and a very heated and loud argument began between the two groups. I turned around and looked up at the Bridge and saw Captain Lagaay also looking at the scene. Very soon, an officer appeared and ushered the entire group below decks. Later, our dining room steward confirmed that tensions were running high due to many of the crew loosing their positions.

It was a memorable event for only my second cruise!(Incidentally, whatever tensions there may have been, we passengers did not notice anything, other than this one event. Service was of the highest caliber!)

My Church's music director has corrected me. While Sandi Patti popularized the song, "Love In Any Language" was actually composed by John Mays and John Mohr and has a copyright of 1985.

As for how long HAL has used it ... I have no idea. It's been a while. I don't remember them not using it, but then I'm not sure I went to the disembarkation talk on my first cruise in 1994. I THINK they used it in 1995 ... though, I'm not certain about that.

After hearing it on several HAL cruises and enjouing it on our videos, our church's children's choir sang it, one Sunday. I thought it was a HAL song until then! I told our choir director and she asked for a copy of the song on our video, which I gave to her. I look forward to hearing it on every cruise.

Might have been a bit later than 1991. I didn't return to HAL until 1992, and I clearly remember Auld Lang Syne at the end of the disembarkation lecture at least once.

All the passengers clasped hands and sang.

Not a dry eye in the house.

Whenever they started using it, I hope they never discontinue singing that song at the end of the disembarkation talk. We need to be constantly reminded of how much alike we are in our hopes, dreams and aspirations.

The media and the governments of all nations spend way too much time in pointing out our differences, most of which are rooted in money, territorial issues or ideologies/dogma.

Getting off my soap box now :)

As a fan of Sandi's, the original recording for "Love In Any Language" can be found on her "Morning Like This" album released in 1986.

I, too was moved when the crew sang this song on the final cruise day. I cried. How appropriate!

I think I remember hearing it at the debarcaition talk on the Westerdam Inagural cruise out of NY ( March 25th, 1990) because I can recall being in

that lounge and we hadn't been on HAL in a number of years and felt we shoud go to the talk to see if anything changed. Haven't been to one since

and still manage to get off the ship with no problem (darn it).

What year do you think it was, Ruth?
Couldn't begin to guess correctly. I know I'm not remembering as far back as my first HAL cruise in '78, and the next one wasn't until '92.

Since Auld Lang Syne is such a special song to me I have a couple of clear memories that the end of cruises on the ss Rotterdam ('92 and '93 maybe?) had that song.

Archived