Culinary Captain Abandons QM2

Dolphins

An article in this morning's NY Post reports that Chef Daniel Boulud has jumped ship as culinary advisor to QM2. It states that Boulud decided to leave after passenger complaints that kitchen staffers were too few and untrained, hot food is often served cold and there is often a 40 minute wait between courses.

Fine....he obviously wasn't making much of an impact anyway. Sounds like Cunard was paying him for doing nothing but using his name. Perhaps he should have been more involved...like Michel Roux is with Celebrity.

BTW, I experienced nothing like the article described. Hot food was hot, cold was cold, and we were in and out of the dining room in just over an hour.

Cunard has been around long before Daniel Boulud and will continue to be around long after he's gone.

They should have gotten Emeril....he'd a kicked 'em into shape.

Russ

Sorry to hear Daniel Boulud has jumped as culinary advisor on the QM2. In the 6 nights that I was on board for the maiden westbound crossing. In the Britannia only the first night the service was slow and chaotic ... but the food was outstanding every night. Emeril? Please this is the Queen Mary 2 not the Delta Queen.

cadum

Okay, is it just me who doesn't mind lingering between courses? I often hear people say how fast their service was and they were out of the dining room in just over an hour. I think the sign of good service and a quality meal is time taken between courses.

On our recent RCI cruise, we actually requested that our waiter slow down the service. It felt too much like the courses were being served one right on top of the other.

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

I agree that "in and out of the dining room in one hour" is not the mark of quality service. In fact if you are in and out that quickly I'd venture to say that there's something a bit wrong with the service.

On the other hand, 40 minutes between courses is a bit much - if you eat a five-course dinner that means you should have gotten dessert 3 hours and 20 minutes after coming into the dining room... Way too long.

Anyhow back to the topic - I hate to say it but I will believe absolutely nothing written about ships in that paper unless it is confirmed elsewhere. I have seen things written in that paper about ships and cruising that are so appalingly wrong I can't believe they have the nerve (or the stupidity) to print them. I'm not saying this is one of them, but I take anything written in the New York Post with a grain of salt the size of Gibraltar, at least when it has to do with this topic.

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

My partner and I were in QG on the maiden voyage, and we, together with a number of other QG passengers, agreed "Why would Daniel put his name to this?" Not that the food was that bad, but it just wasn't up to Daniel's standards and reputation. Todd English worked, because he had a set menu of a few items in a small environment. Canyon Ranch Spa items worked because they were a few specific items on a menu. But for Daniel to put his name to all food in Brittania, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill, just seemed ill-advised to me. I wrote his operation after the maiden voyage giving our observations, and the distinction between Todd English/Canyon Ranch "branding" of food versus the generic ship food. Again, not that it was bad, necessarily, but was nothing special among ship food, unlike Todd English. Apparently, he and his group eventually agreed.

As for Emeril, that comment speaks for itself. LOL.

I have to admit, being use to first seating dining (and preferring it due to a medical condition) that our recent experience of dining on the Caronia was the BEST. A single seating with dinner served from 7 to 9 and you come when you want. Well our table of 9 (all strangers to each other) was so enjoyable we were usually there at 7 so we could visit with the rest of our (new) friends. Service was slow but we weren't going anywhere (14 day TransAt with 12 sea days).We usually didn't leave before 9 to 9:30 because of all the talk talk going on at the table, not because of waiting for the food to be served.

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

I have to say - last year on QE2, after they announced that D. Boulud as the menu consultant - the food was the best I had onboard QE2 since 1987.

Boulud is a high end chef - certainly not mass market like QM2 - he is more Queens Grill. Saying that - he composes the meunus for Cunard - he doesn't cook it or serve it. Certainly Cunard gave him a budget to work with & that is how the menus were developed.

As far as the length of dinner time - that is also a sign of the people eating(besides service). On QE2 world cruise a man stood out by the pool loudly proclaiming how much he hated the entire cruise experience - when someone asked him why - "all those knives, forks & spoons at every meal". YIKES.

I am not a fan of Mr Boulud's restaurants - but I'll give him this - the food did improve under his consultation.

Let me re-phase, or better yet "qualify", my statement about being "in and out of the dining room in one hour".

My point is we were not sitting around staring at our watches wondering where in the heck our waiter was....we would simply eat a course, and when we were finished, he would bring another. We certainly didn't feel rushed. Another thing, there were only two of us the table. Obviously, if we were at a table for eight, it would have taken longer simply because of the chatter between folks (assuming we liked them!).

There is nothing worse than sitting around, staring at the ceiling wondering when you'll be served; and on the flipside, it's just as annoying to have a waiter practically force feed you in order to get you out of there. On QM2, I didn't experience either situation. We dined at our pace and the waiter kept up.

Also, I don't agree that Todd English is good because he has a set menu with only a few items. Look at Celebrity. Michel Roux's dishes are served fleetwide and in the main dining room....and, for the most part, are wonderful.

Of course this whole discussion is based on the NY Post being accurate. And, as Doug has pointed out, that may not be the case.

Jeanne: I'm with you...the food of Chef Winkler (the Fonz' Dad?) was great.

BTW, Cadum, I was joking about Emeril..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rotterdam:

I have to say - last year on QE2, after they announced that D. Boulud as the menu consultant - the food was the best I had onboard QE2 since 1987.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I didn't realise that he was the consultant for all of Cunard, I just thought QM2.

So does this mean that last year all of QE2's menus were revamped?

Doug Newman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Doug:

Interesting. I didn't realise that he was the consultant for all of Cunard, I just thought QM2.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seabourn as well. I'm not convinced he has left.

Ernie

A good waiter will soon get the feel of the guests on his table and hopefully adjust his service to suit the needs of the guests.

I for one am quite happy to linger over dinner enjoying good company in pleasant surroundings.

Two hours for dinner would suit me well

Doug - I spoke with the F&B officer onboard QE2 in January 2003 - Daniel Boulud was a consultant at that time & his menus were already featured aboard QE2.

Its funny - as far as dining - I agree a 2 hour dinner is reasonable if one cares for that experience(I do) - and today there ample opportunities to eat a meal outside the main dining room.

Besides service & kitchen glitches that do occur from time to time & certainly can be expected based on todays corporate policy of getting a product out before it is up to certain standards they are selling - one should expect to spend betwen one to two hours for a meal(usually towards the shorter time for lunches)on a cunard ship.

I wonder how many of you order a bottle of wine at dinner????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eroller:

Seabourn as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, come to think of it, I think he might have been with Seabourn first?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm not convinced he has left.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither am I. I would think that we would see something in the trade press about it, though of course if it happened Cunard would not want it to be very publicised.

And anyway we both know some of the apalling BS the New York Post has put out on the topic of cruising (a certain article about water purification on cruise ships comes to mind icon_mad.gif ). I would not be entirely surprised if they had simply made it up!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rotterdam:

Doug - I spoke with the F&B officer onboard QE2 in January 2003 - Daniel Boulud was a consultant at that time & his menus were already featured aboard QE2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I wonder, has anyone else noticed an improvement in QE2's food since Bouloud became a consultant?

Anyone know just when they started using his menus?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>one should expect to spend betwen one to two hours for a meal(usually towards the shorter time for lunches)on a cunard ship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that is just what it should be IMHO. If you want fast food, go to McDonald's!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I wonder how many of you order a bottle of wine at dinner????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy question for me since I'm not old enough to drink icon_smile.gif ...

Doug Newman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MuseCruiser:

I emailed the Daniel folks yesterday and they replied that it was true. A mutual parting of ways of mutual friends.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, who knows about the last part. It may be, it may not be.

It is interesting that the relationship ended so soon after QM2 came into service though. I wonder if this means that all the menus that he designed will have to be replaced?

Doug Newman

I think Dan is getting jealous of all the publicity Todd English is getting. Plus the news loves all this National Equirer stuff. This may hit Entertainment Tonite!

30+ Cruises and Counting

Queen Mary 2 - May 2004

Pride of Aloha - August 2004

Caribbean Princess - February 2005

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LouChamp:

I think Dan is getting jealous of all the publicity Todd English is getting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's true, they haven't got a restaurant on QM2 called Daniel Bouloud.

On the other hand, Todd English hasn't got a restaurant on land called TODD.

But you're right, as far as QM2 was concerned, they obviously gave a lot more publicity to Todd English.

Doug Newman

Archived