Opinions on QM2 Cabin selection

jerseygirl3

We just booked the QM2 February 26 11 night sailing. We are booked in a B5 balcony cabin. It's a great location; midship, port side, right near an elevator (#4070). My question is this. This is a category of balcony cabins that are a few decks below the lifeboats. Therefore the opening to the balcony is the size of a window. It's sort of cut into the hull of the ship. It does not have the plexiglass railing like the ones in Cat. B1 and B2.

The difference in cost would be approximately $500 pp to bump up to the Cat. B2. Does anybody think that's worth it? We're already paying more than we ordinarily do for a cruise, but we still got a decent price, and we will be on the ship for 11 nights. If we're spending a lot, I wonder if it's worth spending more to get a more desirable balcony?

I'm concerned that the cabin and the balcony itself will seem smaller and darker.

Also, does anybody know if the actual interior cabin space differs between the two different balcony categories (Deluxe vs. Premium)?

[email="caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net"]caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net[/email]

The interior space is identical in all categories of balcony cabins. As for balcony space the "hull balconies" are actually larger than the ones on the upper decks.

As for whether the cabin will seem smaller or whether it is worth the difference, I can't say as I've not been in any of them. But physically the interior cabin space should be absolutely identical.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

think you'll like the b5 just fine (but think you're in b4 with the room #). actually the balcony is a bit larger than b1/2 as you have the extra hull space (entire cabin/balcony space 269 sq ft as opposed to 248). no, you can't see the water unless standing but you gain privacy (b1/2 do not have) and being able to see straight down to water whereas b1/2 look down at promenade deck. your light will be fine. i enjoyed the b5 (5052) and figure that if you want to be "really" outside you'll go on deck anyway. i'd take the b4-6 category again and some friends in b1 said they'd do that instead as well. so enjoy! you'll love the ship and for the price diff i bet the balcony too. mike

Gaupin, Cunard says they are restructuring the categories, so even though what I thought was a B6 when I booked it, by January 3 (when they restructure some of the categories) the balcony cabins on Deck 4 will be considered a B5. I think they do this just to confuse us!

[email="caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net"]caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net[/email]

The hull holes are fine. I dont spend a lot of time in my cabin and find that what is important is enjoying the ship. That said, you will be fine.

30+ Cruises and Counting
Queen Mary 2 - May 2004
Pride of Aloha - August 2004
Caribbean Princess - February 2005

Hi Jerseygirl3,

YOu will be fine with the hull balcony. We were on Deck 6 in a B4 which will be a B3 after the regarding. We did the crossing and no we did not use it much BUT the day we sailed out of Southampton I was lying on the lounge chair on the balcony and taking in the sun (the last we saw until 4-21) As mentioned by DOug the interior space is the same on a hull or plexiglass balcony.
Bon voyage

Archived