ANOTHER Black Eye For Carnival!

Polish Falcon

This was posted all over the board earlier this week (most of them pulled I believe)... kids play pranks, you could tell they were kids from what PAX were saying... I would think that terrorists would have come up with a better plan than this... It was a VERY isolated incident and has not happened before... I say, go to the muster drill and learn the procedures then you can decipher for yourself what is a valid announcement...

LOL Drom, I was just thinking the same thing... Carnival seems to be doing more overbooking these days! Which I guess is a good thing that they are selling so fast, but time to build more ships faster!!!!!

This was posted all over the board earlier this week

I would think that terrorists would have come up with a better plan than this...

I say, go to the muster drill

Yeah, reminds me of the 66 1/2 Johnny Rocket's threads earlier this year on the "other" board.

You think? I dunno....making an announcement to abandon ship in the wee hours of the morning seems like I good plan to me?? I think I'd be more worried about something along the lines of the USS Cole or aquiring a piece of "Naval" (no....not belly button ;)) hardware like an Exocit(sp) (French - we know where "their" loyaties lie) or possibly a miniature sub-surface vessel.

Muster Drill?? What the heck is a Muster Drill?? :D

To tell you the truth, I'm getting tired of reading all the jokes you all are making about this prank. I have three young kids cruising with me later this month and if this happened on my cruise, I would have had a heart attack.

Halos,I was thinking the same exact thing. A teenage girl was given alcohol AND sexually assaulted.....by Royal Carribean crewmembers!!!....not other passengers.

That sounds much more serious than the hoax to me. In fact, of all those problems reported on that link, Carnival seemed to come out o.k. compared to some of the other lines and Carnival books a helluva lot more cruiuses too.

Apparently, Polish Falcon has personal issues with Carnival.

ckpan, if you go to the muster drill, you will understand that the captain would never come on and say "everyone needs to abandon ship"... Kids play pranks, but if you use your best judgement, and understand the procedures in place, you can generally figure them out... First thing that would have clued me in would have been the lack of foreign accent, LOL... are there ANY English speaking (teenage sounding at that) captains these days???? LOL..

To tell you the truth, I'm getting tired of reading all the jokes you all are making about this prank. I have three young kids cruising with me later this month and if this happened on my cruise, I would have had a heart attack.

Please. It was a "prank"...nothing more...nothing less. Haven't a clue where you're located in relation to NYC and frankly I don't care but for some of us that were there, witnessed the events first hand, or had friends or loved ones that did survive the events of 9/11 it was a reality that may or may not only be dealt with in a humorous manner. While I know "we" in the DC area try to go about our daily lives it's hard to forget and sometimes a little humor helps. Maybe it's the same for others?

If you are concerned about an emergency while at sea with the little ones, maybe you should leave them with a trusted relative.

Ted, I have never looked at that site... but this story has been floating around all week... many of them turned ugly because there was so much speculation. And then it just became ridiculous because at one point, there had to be 10 threads on the board about it... more threads on that than there were about the person who had the heart attack and had to be air lifted out... priorities, priorities...

The perpetrators were not caught and it would be libel (when written, slander when spoken) to point a finger at any one person as being responsible. It would have been frightening for sure, but when the horn doesn't blow too, then you have to think something isn't quite right. Thus a hoax that caused a lot of distress to the passengers and crew.

Dear JerseyJ24 - Why would you say this?

I am hurt.

These teenagers gained access to a secure communication device, perhaps from the Bridge, and made a hoax announcement.

What if they were trained terrorists?

Imagine the damage they could have done if they gained access to other secured equipment. Engine controls, radar, steering gear, fuel tanks, ballast tanks, power systems, etc. etc. the list is endless.

This was an extremly serious breakdown of security and could have been a seaborne 9/11......I would be writing this regardless of cruise line name!

Thanks,

Ted

No, not funny... prank yes. I'm not sure why this would give Carnival a bad rep... because we all didn't freak out about a prank... because we all go to the muster drill (well, except Liv ;) ) and know the procedures for an emergency situation? I think it actually proves that people that sail Carnival are smart... as they know that an English speaking kid that says "abandon ship" is a prank, and that had there been a real emergency, the procedures in place would have been announced. Sure, it was a bad prank... the kids should be punished... but to devote days and days and days and freaking people out about it and mentioning terrorism is not the way to go about reporting this... it was a prank, a very isolated one at that... rumor has it, it was made from the dining room (just rumor) but if that is the case, I don't see a huge security threat arising from this...

Please. It was a "prank"...nothing more...nothing less. Haven't a clue where you're located in relation to NYC and frankly I don't care but for some of us that were there, witnessed the events first hand, or had friends or loved ones that did survive the events of 9/11 it was a reality that may or may not only be dealt with in a humorous manner. While I know "we" in the DC area try to go about our daily lives it's hard to forget and sometimes a little humor helps. Maybe it's the same for others?

If you are concerned about an emergency while at sea with the little ones, maybe you should leave them with a trusted relative.

And, I suppose you think that yelling FIRE in a movie theater is a prank also? Believe me, the people on the cruise did not think it was a little prank. The crew were afraid people were going to jump overboard. It was reported in all the papers.

And, I suppose you think that yelling FIRE in a movie theater is a prank also? Believe me, the people on the cruise did not think it was a little prank. The crew were afraid people were going to jump overboard. It was reported in all the papers.

It was not reported in any of our papers, and the posts the other day were referencing how this was only in one or two papers and how it must be a conspiracy to "cover it up"... I think the problem is that people read too much and don't pay attention to facts... there were several people here actually ON the ship... they told the account as it happened...

I generally go by the fire alarm in the movie theatre, or the sight/smell of smoke... Or corroborated evidence that there is indeed Fire.

Archived