best place to SLEEP in Galveston

Okay. Going on first cruise Sat. June 30th on the Ecstacy from Galveston.

I'm not familiar with Galveston at all. We'd like a nice place to sleep Friday night, but nothing fancy. We'll be getting there around 10:00 or 11:00 PM and checking out around 10:00 AM.

I don't need a hotel that offers any kind of parking arrangement because we will park with Carnival. (I know not to use the other parking service.)

Any recommendations???

Janet

Lots of options in Galveston....

I like staying at "The Commodore on the Beach"....it's an older hotel, but it has been kept up well and all the rooms face the beach. Prices are high in the summer though, on most places in Galveston. You can stay on the mainland, within 20 - 30 minutes of the port much cheaper.

Give us a report on your trip when you return. Our first cruise will be in September, but we're already planning the 2nd.....probably on the Ecstacy.

We've also stayed at Commodore on the Beach and agree with bdann. (Note that they've now gone non-smoking so if anyone in your party smokes....)

We left our car there (twice) with no problems just in case you want to change your mind about the parking. We took a cab both ways and it was less than $10.00 each way.

... I don't need a hotel that offers any kind of parking arrangement because we will park with Carnival. (I know not to use the other parking service.)... Janet

Carnival does not have parking for their cruising guests. All cruise parking is owned and operated by private parking lot operators or Port of Galveston.

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

http://www.lighthouseparking.org/

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

I hope this information will be satisfactory.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

The Commodore is a great place, it is older but I have always loved it. It is a great location if you want to see any of the things happening along the seawall and beach. As the above poster stated, hotels don't come cheap in Galveston during the summer. I have seen good reviews on the Econolodge also. Things that are not directly located on the seawall or downtown (historic area) will be a little cheaper. You could always stay on the mainland in the area of Texas City, about 10-15 minutes back over the causeway if you are not interested in Galveston. But I must say, it is a great island with a lot to offer, it would be a shame not to take a stroll down the seawall in the evening or shop for a little while in all of the neat places on the Strand :) Yummy restaurants too!

Thank you so much for all the great info. And for clarifying that parking info. The Port of Galveston parking is what I should have been referring to, but for some reason I thought it was actually Carnival's parking. Glad you mentioned that, or I would have freaked out when we arrived!

I just may check in to staying at the Commodore and leaving our truck there. I didn't realized the cab fees would be so reasonable. I've never even ridden in a cab! LOL!

And I will be sure to write my first ever Cruise Critic Review when we return!

:-)

Janet

I think we have decided to visit Galveston some other time, as we won't be able to allow enough time before or after the cruise to do the city justice.

Any recommendations for Texas City or La Marque? Just need a nice place to sleep that's not too far from the port . . . . .

:cool: Janet

I think we have decided to visit Galveston some other time, as we won't be able to allow enough time before or after the cruise to do the city justice.

Any recommendations for Texas City or La Marque? Just need a nice place to sleep that's not too far from the port . . . . .

:cool: Janet

Go to this link for hotels on the mainland www.clearlakehotels.com

....I think that this will also link to the Texas City area too

You might try the Econolodge. It's not right on Seawall Blvd, so it might be less than many, and it's pretty new. Also, they have free cruise parking in a secured lot. And my DH's favorite part - they had make-your-own Belgian waffles as part of the breakfast buffet.

Have a look at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Clear Lake/NASA it is just off the I 45 (Exit 29 if I remember correctly) enough to be really quite an it is a 30 min drive to the port of Galveston from there. Back on the I 45 South and head South until you get to the first exist saying cruiseport. Off the off ramp take a left and then it is about 4 miles to the cruiseport. It is clean and they offer you a decent breakfast.

The Port Authority parking is on your way to the dock. Tip take your luggage to the port first and then drop your car. That will save you dragging your luggage and if you don't have luggage chances are you might not have to wait for the next shuttle. Passengers with luggage are often told the shuttle is full and they have to wait for the next one.

Okay. Going on first cruise Sat. June 30th on the Ecstacy from Galveston.

I'm not familiar with Galveston at all. We'd like a nice place to sleep Friday night, but nothing fancy. We'll be getting there around 10:00 or 11:00 PM and checking out around 10:00 AM.

I don't need a hotel that offers any kind of parking arrangement because we will park with Carnival. (I know not to use the other parking service.)

Any recommendations???

Janet

Gaidos is a very reasonable price hotel....the lowest on the island....see the reviews, everyone from our roll call stayed there when we sailed out on April 1, 2007.

I ended up making reservations with the Best Western Mainland in Texas City. We will be driving our own truck to the port and parking with Lighthouse. I spoke with the mgr. at BW, and she gave me a price I couldn't pass up! Very nice lady!

Also, if you make your reservations with lighthouse parking online, it's only $35 for a 5 day cruise.

:D Janet

I ended up making reservations with the Best Western Mainland in Texas City. We will be driving our own truck to the port and parking with Lighthouse. I spoke with the mgr. at BW, and she gave me a price I couldn't pass up! Very nice lady!

Also, if you make your reservations with lighthouse parking online, it's only $35 for a 5 day cruise.

:D Janet

well i hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Archived