Beds on Diamond Princess - are they hard?

R. Wethereyet

We will be sailing on this ship later this month. I have been reading that quite a few people request "eggcrate" mattress toppers in their cabin to soften the beds because they find them too hard to sleep comfortably.

What is the concensus about this? too hard or just right (I realize this is a very personal choice question, but it would be good to get some feedback). Also, do you request the eggcrate prior to sailing - if so how? Or can you wait until you give the bed a try and ask your steward for one on the second night?

Thanks for your insights on this topic!:)

We just got back from the Diamond on Saturday. It's a great ship. We found the beds to be harder than we would like. Not so awful that we couldn't sleep at all -- just not very comfortable. We were usually exhausted enough from the day's activities to fall asleep anyway. Next time I will request the egg crate mattress. I believe it's best to do it ahead of time, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will answer as well. Also, I thought the pillows were too flat and unfluffy. Since returning, I've read that you can request feather pillows from your room steward. Enjoy your cruise!

--Junglejane

Just back for the Diamond 3/24/08 Mexican Riviera sailing. Stateroom was Aloha-514. Beds were comfortable but make sure your matteress are the same height, (had two different matress sizes pushed together to form a queen). Still not enough to ruin the cruise experience though.

FYI: I will be on the Diamond the following weekend and have sent the fax to Princess to request for the eggcrate mattress topper in advance just in case they ran out. I do not like hard bed. :) :)

I'm afraid the mattresses are hard. At least they have been on my 5 recent voyages. I can't speak for all of the ships, as apparently some have new matresses (?).

Feel underneath the bed coverings and if you aren't sure, ask for the "Eggcrate" pad ASAP. They always run out within a few days, if not sooner. Once matress pad is on, I was always happy.

Hard matresses, or not, I love the Princess ships otherwise. Have a great cruise!

The pull out sofa is very hard and if your tall it's a bit short you need to kinda bend your legs to stay on and it's not as wide as a twin more like a single. The sofa it's self though is very comfortable to sleep on. The main bed is also comfortable bit hard if i recall but a egg crate helps.

Archived