Boats with Balcony Cabins, Pool, Hot Tub in Europe

Oregonskier

Would like to do a river boat cruise in Europe. I have not found any ships with balcony cabins. Do they have them and how would I search for that? Also seems like they don't have a pool or hot tub. Do any river boats have them in Europe?

Also I am a single traveler, any advice there for river boats?

Some river boats have small pools but they will not be like the cruise ship pools. River boats are a lot smaller, shorter in height 2-3 decks .

Most have "French balconies" not really a balcony but a railing that you can open a sliding door to have the view.

http://www.amadeuswaterways.com/

http://www.avalonwaterways.com

http://www.jerryvandyke.com

Viking and others.

I've done two river cruises with Grand Circle, and both times had a balcony cabin. It's pretty small, about 3 feet wide, and maybe ten feet long. Big enough for two chairs. Best part was being able to let in fresh air. The windows in the other cabins do not open. It was fun to sit out and watch the world go by.

Also, the River Melody has a hot tub. I don't think any of the ships have pools.

As for going as a single, both cruises had a number of single passengers. With the small number of passengers (GCT ships have about 120-140) and open restaurant seating, it's easy to get acquainted.

• 1 month later...

Balkonies on European river boats are not really practical since the overall width of the ship is deternined by the lock sizes. Therefor the standard width on all European river ships is the same - if I am not mistaken 40 feet. That means if you have a balkony it will take space away from your cabin. Older boats feature sometimes balkonies and consequently have smaller cabins. To combine bigger cabins with a balkony let to the "invention" of the French Balkony with floor to ceiling glass sliding doors and a railing from preventing you going overboard.

Would like to do a river boat cruise in Europe. I have not found any ships with balcony cabins. Do they have them and how would I search for that? Also seems like they don't have a pool or hot tub. Do any river boats have them in Europe?

Also I am a single traveler, any advice there for river boats?

Thanks for you replies and help. I am off to the South Pacific in a day, but am so interested in a riverboat for next June. I will probably book later this summer. I like the river boat that carries bikes. None seem to have pools or hot tubs on deck. French balconies sound like the answer.

Oregonskier

We have done one river cruise and one barge trip. The river cruise kept us very busy (most tours were included). We did not have much lounge around time. I think the European river cruises are meant so you can see the ports you dock at each day - not the cruise ships of the caribbean.

The barge trip had bikes on board - used when we cruised the rivers. You could take a bike and meet the barge somewhere down the river. I do think the French Country Waterways may have hot tubs on some of their ships.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The Viking "Primadonna" has nice little balconies fitted with benches. On the upper deck only. The problem is you will have to hunt for the Primadonna. She cruises the Danube, and is primarlily destined for the German market. However when we were on her there were around 6 Anglophones and the Tour Director had his Hungarian Assistant (who spoke good English) deal with us. By the way, we speak good German and were quite ready to "work" in German - it was they who made the effort, not us. Ask Viking directly.

Primadonna is a twin hulled ship and really very lovely.

Thanks again for this message. You gave me the amadeus site and I just booked a 16 night riverboat cruise with them for June 2008. It seems like real nice boats and they carry bikes to use for free.

Many of us used the Amalegro's bikes in Mohacs, Hungary and also Belgrade, Serbia on our Black Sea Discovery cruise last October. Bikes were in good condition - a fun outing.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I expect to cruise with Amadeus beginning December 30, departing from Budapest with stops in Vienna, Melk, Linz, Passau, Regensburg and Nuremberg, finishing up in Prague. If all goes well with our Internet access, I'll try to post our impressions during and after the journey. We also are Oregonians (Yamhill County, the wine country) who enjoy bicycling, though I'm dubious that we'll find the on-board bikes tempting at this time of year. In Budapest, we're booked into the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus, which gets mostly very favorable ratings, but since this is our first trip to Eastern Europe, I can't offer a review of my own. Once I have some first-hand information to share, I'll be happy to answer any questions from folks who plan to travel via Amadeus Waterways.

• 2 weeks later...
Would love to hear how the cruise went and about Hotel in Budepest.

Oregonskier

Oregonskier - The hot tub on the Amadagio and the Amalegro is on the top deck just behind the bridge. You will be going outside at the reception desk and once going up stairs you will find the hot tub in front of you. We enjoyed it on our Black Sea Discovery cruise on the Amalegro last October. For us it seems the colder the weather the more enjoyable the tubbing - I had frost on my eyebrows today in our tub here in N.Wisconsin.

You can read about my impressions of Budapest (we were at the Sofitel) and the trip at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645975

To view photos and clips, click this link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

WIT

We've been cruising aboard the Amadagio since 12/30, and it's been a delight so far. The Internet system in our cabin is very slow and not too reliable, so my ability to post a travel narrative is probably going to be minimal. I may have to wait until we're back home to provide much detail. At this point, though, I can give an unqualified recommendation as far as activities, service, accommodations and food. It's been very, very cold - but that's certainly what we anticipated! If I can make further forum entries during our trip, I'll do so.

Carolfay,

I'm looking forward to reading your trip report when it becomes available. We will be on the same itinerary on the Amalegro next Sept. Would you consider beginning a new thread with a title something like - "Amadeus Waterways Blue Danube Discovery trip report" in case people skip over the balcony/hot tub link? I think it would be very helpful to newbies and easier to find.

Many thanks to all of the people who provide such wonderful helpful information on this board.

Have a super time and thanks very much.

Jean

Just a brief note until I can put a complete report together. We've completed our journey with Amadeus and are finishing up our tour in Prague. Our impressions of the cruise are very favorable, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this itinerary or the Amadagio staff. We were well taken care of and were fully occupied! Our stops along the Danube were all well worth the time.

We did the Amadagio cruise Budapest to Amsterdam last Sept. It was fantastic! Stayed at the Marriott in Budapest. It is right on the river and we could look across and see the Amadagio docked. All guest rooms are recently refurbished and the staff was very friendly.

Jean, I think your suggestion is a good one, so I'll give my Amadagio review a new title when I get my notes together. In the meantime, I'd be happy to answer any questions readers might have about our Amadeus cruise. We had four excellent days in Prague after the cruise ended, two with the tour group and two on our own. Prague is indeed a fascinating city. In answer to Oregonskier's question about our hotel in Budapest, we were booked into the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus and found it very comfortable and accommodating. Our room was spacious and in keeping with the luxe standard I'd expect in a big hotel of this class. The breakfast buffet was included with our Amadeus tour, and it's lavish, with a head-spinning number of choices.

Jean, I think your suggestion is a good one, so I'll give my Amadagio review a new title when I get my notes together. In the meantime, I'd be happy to answer any questions readers might have about our Amadeus cruise. We had four excellent days in Prague after the cruise ended, two with the tour group and two on our own. Prague is indeed a fascinating city. In answer to Oregonskier's question about our hotel in Budapest, we were booked into the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus and found it very comfortable and accommodating. Our room was spacious and in keeping with the luxe standard I'd expect in a big hotel of this class. The breakfast buffet was included with our Amadeus tour, and it's lavish, with a head-spinning number of choices.

Archived