Anyone ever traveled by train?

SunshneNC

The SouthWest Chief is really a nice route. Once it gets out west, it normally run on time, I have arrived in LA 30-45 mins early quite often, since there is a lot of padding in the schedule. I have done it about 5 times over the years.

You might also want to keep checking this link for weekly special. At times you can find even lower fares. http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/WeeklySpecials

I agree the train isnt for everyone, but I love it personally, it allows life to slow down.

My clients are really excited about doing the train thing: thanks for the input. NMnita

It's not the destination, it's the journey..... which is why I love TransAtlantic voyages..... and long trips by train.

That is the problem, even a short trip is a long trip by train. :eek:

Before my first train trip (and I have taken several with my son, who is 22 now and has been a train fanatic since he was about 4), my cousin, who had travelled extensively by train, advised me:

If you can't afford a sleeper, wait until you can.

At a certain hour of the night, the lights in coach get turned down, and then - all you smell is feet! as everyone takes their shoes off to settle in for the night.

And if you're really lucky, he said, you get the snoring guy with bison breath right across the aisle from you...

That aside, we really enjoyed travelling by train. It's definitely the journey.

But I don't think I'd enjoy travelling that way AT ALL if I were on a timetable - like trying to make my cruise ship - I'd be stressing if we started running late. Plus I wouldn't want to deal with my cruise luggage on the train (even though you can check baggage) - we travelled fairly light and very casual on our train trips.

Life is an adventure. Resisted the DW for 20 years afraid I would get seasick and now regret all the lost years of not cruising.

I have traveled by train off and on over the years and going some places it is my perfered way to travel. The biggest problems I have is sometimes it seems you have to go out of your way to get were you are going which adds some hours to the travel. I enjoy being able to walk around, see the scenery and when sitting not have someone lower their seat back onto my lap as they do on airlines.

Just remember you are on a vacation and just make it part of the experience.

There is a difference between booking a train as part of a vacation and booking a train as transportation to and from the vacation. Nobody take a plane flight as a vacation, where some people do take a train ride as a vacation.

So, if you are vacation, and it lasts a few hours, or even a full day longer, fine. But if you are traveling to get somewhere, a few hours, or a full day, is an unwelcome addition to the travel time.

It all depends on when you "start" a vacation. Some start when they get on the ship, others start when they leave home, mine start the second I leave work the last workday before it all happens. Getting packed the night before, having to run out and buy something you had forgotten to get, eating leftovers so there will be no food to spoil, even putting the trash out the night before all become fun and is part of my vacation.

But then again I have been accused before of having my mind on vacation 24 hours a day.

Wife and I have taken the auto train a couple of times to disney but never to a cruise this year on our September 29 liberty Of The Seas cruise we will be on the auto train it's not a bad way to go no airline worries and we like that a lot.

Just a suggestion - plan to arrive the day before your cruise leaves.

Ship your luggage to your pre-cruise hotel.

Get at least a compartment, if you can't afford a bedroom compartment.

The train rocks, so take some bonine if you are prone to motion sickness.

It sure beats flying if you are not in a hurry.

I traveled by train from Hartford, CT to Orlando, FL.......yes I am crazy but hate to fly....That was 24 hours, so I am not understanding why your train is so long? It was fine, boring at times, but they had a food cart, dinner cart or overnight rooms (for a fee) we packed snadwiches and that was our supper on the train then in the morning we bought muffins, and lunch a hot dog....we were there before supper! Worked out fine!

Archived