Anyone ever traveled by train?

SunshneNC

Has anyone ever traveled by train? Does it get uncomfortable after a couple of hours?

I travelled twice, round trip from Newark, NJ to California. Once, when I was 9 years old, during the era of the luxury long distance trains, and once in 1984 on AMTRAK. Both times were in coach. One can't compare the old long distance trains run by the railroads with AMTRAK of today. That would be like comparing the great transatlantic liners with the cruise ships of today. That having been said, I would probably get a sleeper at this point in my life, but since cost is an issue for you, it would add a significant cost to your trip. One advantage of the sleeper is that your meals are included. I think the biggest problem with AMTRAK is the delays. I also travelled roundtrip from Newark to Jacksonville, Florida, in a sleeper. Southbound was for all intents and purposes on time, give or take 15 minutes. Northbound, however, we had a five hour delay due to signal problems on CSX in South Carolina. So, if you're going to do it, I'd allow ample time. I think, however, that riding along, watching the countryside go by is one of the most enjoyable things to be experienced, and there's no seatbelt sign confining you to your seat. I would go ahead and try it, paying attention to the advice in this thread . Your kids will have a good time.

Concerning this comment 21 hours........too long for me........and this is the reason that no one travels by train any more. That is what I thought until we took our first train trip. Oh my gosh. It was packed and so was the other two. If you want something besides coach, check early. They do sell out.

You have access to a shower even if you have a roommete. A roommete is two seats that face each other and then a top bunk turns into a bed. So you have bunk beds. The seats are close to each other but it is okay. If you have any other questions, ask away.

From North Carolina I would rent a van and drive.

The coach seats on Amtrack are much more comfortable than on the plane and there would be a bathroom in the coach. However, it can get noisy if you are trying to sleep with kids running up and down the aisles.

The coach seat does not include food and there was not much to buy in the way of food.

There is an observation car that was fun to sit in and watch the world go by and watch a movie.

We took the train from Florida to California to go on a cruise. We purchased a compartment it is the size of a small closet with 2 seats that face each other. At night the 2 seats make into a bed and the top bunk comes out of the wall. It did include dinner reservations and the food was very good. The bathroom was down the hall and the showers were downstairs.

You can get a bedroom which has the toliet and shower facility right in the room. These are much more expensive.

Because Amtrack does not own the tracks, the cargo trains have the right a way and Amtrack has to sit on a side rail until they have clearance to continue.

Our train ran about 8 hours late and ran out of food. If you go a day or two early you will be okay.

I've taken two overnight trips on Amtrak over the years, and several shorter trips. I've never done the sleeping car thing. Coach on a train is definitely more comfy than coach on a plane, and it's nice to walk around, eat, etc.

I might advise against it in this case. Travelling with kids who might get cranky could be bad, serious delays make things worse. About half of my train trips have been significantly delayed. I love Amtrak, but it's something to consider.

It's been years since we did a train trip. The longest was from West Palm to upstste NY. We looked at it as an adventure and enjoyed it. The seats recline some as has already been said. No problem sleeping in the seats but a berth would be nice.

Food on board was good (better than a lot of airline meals I've had) but a bit pricey. Delays are an important consideration.

Would I do it again? Yes, depending on where I was going and if there were critical time constraints or not.

On another note, you live in a beautiful part of the country. Our daughters live in Gibsonville and Snow Camp. Someday we hope to live in that area too but jobs dictate staying put for now.

Hello Pyrate!!

We also live in Gibsonville and used to live in Snow Camp! What a small world!

Thank you everyone for such a quick reply. I still haven't made a decision but will continue to look into it because I do think it would be an interesting experience. We are capable of driving, flying or going by rail but after seeing how cheap it was I thought it would be a great tidea. Thank you again!

I was looking at railway rates tonight and noticed that my family and I can travel to Miami for half the price of an airline ticket. The three of us was a total of $297 roundtrip leaving from Raleigh,NC and going to Miami, FL. I looked up the distance from Amtrak station in Miami to the Port of Miami and looks like it's only a few miles to the port.

The only thing I see that might would be a problem is the travel time to get there is almost 21 hours! I know that's a long time but look how cheap it is!

What would you do?? Has anyone ever traveled by train? Does it get uncomfortable after a couple of hours?

Yes, I tried it once. Never again. If it is scheduled to take 21 hours, I start out three days in advance, and pray I arrived before the ship left. The trains do not run on time. I took a train that was scheduled for eleven hours. It took thirteen, and that was really good (of course I had driven the same route in less than six hours). The train going the other way was at least six hours late. The return train that I was supposed to take was at least six hours late. I called Amtract and told them if I am six hours late, I will not make it to work the next day. They refunded my money and I took a plane home.

My seat mate on the train loved trains. However, he referred to the train I was on as the Coast StarLATE (not the Coast Starlight). My parents love the train. After my experience they told me the truth. They are retired, so they don't have to worry about the train being late, but yes, it is usually running late.

I'll drive before I'll take a long distance train. However, I usually just fly now. It may be more expensive, but at least I know I'll arrive on the day I should.

So, when you decide to take the train, factor in the two extra days, plus the two extra days worth of hotel stays, plus the two extra days of meals. Or you can try going one day early and watch your hair turn gray as you worry about making it to Miami before the ship leaves.

As Gingee said, the trains are getting more crowded. We up here in New England are finding that Amtrak is expanding its service. The new Downeaster-from Boston to Maine- is very popular and plans expansion.

Another comment about food- the dinners are expensive, but the lunches in the snack bar are reasonable & are available for lunch and dinner. We usually have a big (& very good) hot breakfast on Amtrak and then a lunch and dinner sandwich- for a one-night trip.

From North Carolina I would rent a van and drive.

The coach seats on Amtrack are much more comfortable than on the plane and there would be a bathroom in the coach. However, it can get noisy if you are trying to sleep with kids running up and down the aisles.

The coach seat does not include food and there was not much to buy in the way of food.

There is an observation car that was fun to sit in and watch the world go by and watch a movie.

We took the train from Florida to California to go on a cruise. We purchased a compartment it is the size of a small closet with 2 seats that face each other. At night the 2 seats make into a bed and the top bunk comes out of the wall. It did include dinner reservations and the food was very good. The bathroom was down the hall and the showers were downstairs.

You can get a bedroom which has the toliet and shower facility right in the room. These are much more expensive.

Because Amtrack does not own the tracks, the cargo trains have the right a way and Amtrack has to sit on a side rail until they have clearance to continue.

Our train ran about 8 hours late and ran out of food. If you go a day or two early you will be okay.

SunShneNC,

DW and I have traveled by train to various places several times in just the past few years, including trips from D.C. to Seattle and back, and from L.A. to D.C., not to mention many day-time trips in the Northeast corridor. We enjoy train travel, but by no means do we do it to save time (except maybe D.C. to Philly or New York). Trains do often run late, but they are also more comfortable than aircraft or automobiles.

Everything cusyl says is correct, but to expand a bit:

It looks to me that the only train that goes from Raleigh to Miami is the Silver Star (Train #91). It is scheduled to depart Raleigh at 9:13 p.m. and arrive in Miami at 6:05 p.m. Even if it is on time, that is almost certainly too late to embark a cruise ship that day, so you will have to plan on staying in a hotel. The situation is similar returning. The Silver Star is scheduled to depart Miami at 8:50 a.m., which is probably too early to count on catching after debarking a cruise ship, so you probably would have to plan a hotel that night as well.

There are two levels of sleeping accommodation as cusyl says. If you go to www.amtrak.com, and click the button on top that says "traveling with Amtrak" you can get to a lot of good general information, including diagrams of the sleeping compartments. The trains to/from Florida are Viewliners; Superliners are used in the West (presumably the double-deckers can't fit under older, lower bridges in the East). The cost of the sleeping accommodations includes the cost of food in the restauarant (except I think for soft drinks, beer, etc. -- much like a cruise in that regard). If you don't have sleeper accommodations, you can purchase the food in the dining car, or simpler items from the snack bar in the lounge car.

Given the need for hotel reservations even if you don't book sleepers, the train trip and hotels will probably cost more than flying. If you really dislike flying, you could drive, or take the train, but as others have said, if you choose the train, I would consider the train travel part of the vacaction instead of just transportation. DW and I are thinking of possbily taking the Silver Star to/from D.C. next spring if we take a spring cruise.

Added on edit -- I forgot to include: Amtrak has a deal with Carnival and Holland America Line at least to give a 25% discount on train travel (but probably not the cost of the sleeper) for train travel in conjunction with a cruise. If you do decide to go by train, you may want to call Amtrak to see if they have such a deal for your cruise line.

Hope this helps, and whichever way you go, enjoy the cruise!

Dave

SunShneNC,

DW and I have traveled by train to various places several times in just the past few years, including trips from D.C. to Seattle and back, and from L.A. to D.C., not to mention many day-time trips in the Northeast corridor. We enjoy train travel, but by no means do we do it to save time (except maybe D.C. to Philly or New York). Trains do often run late, but they are also more comfortable than aircraft or automobiles.

Everything cusyl says is correct, but to expand a bit:

It looks to me that the only train that goes from Raleigh to Miami is the Silver Star (Train #91). It is scheduled to depart Raleigh at 9:13 p.m. and arrive in Miami at 6:05 p.m. Even if it is on time, that is almost certainly too late to embark a cruise ship that day, so you will have to plan on staying in a hotel. The situation is similar returning. The Silver Star is scheduled to depart Miami at 8:50 a.m., which is probably too early to count on catching after debarking a cruise ship, so you probably would have to plan a hotel that night as well.

There are two levels of sleeping accommodation as cusyl says. If you go to www.amtrak.com, and click the button on top that says "traveling with Amtrak" you can get to a lot of good general information, including diagrams of the sleeping compartments. The trains to/from Florida are Viewliners; Superliners are used in the West (presumably the double-deckers can't fit under older, lower bridges in the East). The cost of the sleeping accommodations includes the cost of food in the restauarant (except I think for soft drinks, beer, etc. -- much like a cruise in that regard). If you don't have sleeper accommodations, you can purchase the food in the dining car, or simpler items from the snack bar in the lounge car.

Given the need for hotel reservations even if you don't book sleepers, the train trip and hotels will probably cost more than flying. If you really dislike flying, you could drive, or take the train, but as others have said, if you choose the train, I would consider the train travel part of the vacaction instead of just transportation. DW and I are thinking of possbily taking the Silver Star to/from D.C. next spring if we take a spring cruise.

Added on edit -- I forgot to include: Amtrak has a deal with Carnival and Holland America Line at least to give a 25% discount on train travel (but probably not the cost of the sleeper) for train travel in conjunction with a cruise. If you do decide to go by train, you may want to call Amtrak to see if they have such a deal for your cruise line.

Hope this helps, and whichever way you go, enjoy the cruise!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Our cruise is a Monday to Friday cruise so the train schedule is almost perfect for what I am looking for. My plans were to arrive in Miami on Sunday and leave on Friday. The only thing now is that I will have to stay in Miami on Friday night since the next train to leave Miami is on Saturday morning. The food aspect I look at it like this....we have to eat regardless of where we eat. I look at priceline for all my hotel needs. Sometimes I can get a four star hotel for $40. It almost looks like I am a tightwad :) but I guess I just like to save on certain things so I can SPLURGE on others.

Thank you so much for the information about the Cruise/Train discount. I will have to check into that one!

I was looking at railway rates tonight and noticed that my family and I can travel to Miami for half the price of an airline ticket. The three of us was a total of $297 roundtrip leaving from Raleigh,NC and going to Miami, FL. I looked up the distance from Amtrak station in Miami to the Port of Miami and looks like it's only a few miles to the port.

The only thing I see that might would be a problem is the travel time to get there is almost 21 hours! I know that's a long time but look how cheap it is!

What would you do?? Has anyone ever traveled by train? Does it get uncomfortable after a couple of hours?

haven't done it, but we are doing a group cruise in sept and one couple will be traveling from Albuquerque to Los Angeles by train: $100 round trip verses $200 or more on the plane plus she is uncomfortable flying. They leave here at 6:30 at night and get into LA about 8pm the next morning. NMnita

The kids will love going on the train. Let them bring some books, video games or something, but they will find it an adventure. Best of all, they can move around more than on a plane or car or bus. Since most people fly down a day ahead and book a hotel, simply plan to arrive the day before the cruise so when the train is late, you will still have time.

My mom, sister and I travelled by train from Chicago to New York. It was almost 24 hours, and it was like being on a bus (as far as the comfort level and room in your seat). The refreshment car shuts down for certain hours, so you're screwed if you get thirsty at certain times. The food makes airline food look gourmet. The bathrooms are like airline bathrooms. It cost just about as much as flying, but my mom thought it'd be a neat "experience". NOT. It was horrible. The only thing I can compare it to was a 16 hour bus ride I took once. I sure as HECK would not bring any kids on it, they will be bored out of their MINDS and, not matter how well bahaved normally, will be climbing the walls. I was 22 at the time and on the edge of losing it. NEVER AGAIN, for us, not even in a sleeper. :rolleyes:

JMHO.

haven't done it, but we are doing a group cruise in sept and one couple will be traveling from Albuquerque to Los Angeles by train: $100 round trip verses $200 or more on the plane plus she is uncomfortable flying. They leave here at 6:30 at night and get into LA about 8pm the next morning. NMnita

The SouthWest Chief is really a nice route. Once it gets out west, it normally run on time, I have arrived in LA 30-45 mins early quite often, since there is a lot of padding in the schedule. I have done it about 5 times over the years.

You might also want to keep checking this link for weekly special. At times you can find even lower fares. http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/WeeklySpecials

I agree the train isnt for everyone, but I love it personally, it allows life to slow down.

The SouthWest Chief is really a nice route. Once it gets out west, it normally run on time, I have arrived in LA 30-45 mins early quite often, since there is a lot of padding in the schedule. I have done it about 5 times over the years.

You might also want to keep checking this link for weekly special. At times you can find even lower fares. http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/WeeklySpecials

I agree the train isnt for everyone, but I love it personally, it allows life to slow down.

I love Amtrak for shorter hauls (under 10 or 12 hours). By the time I figure in the time it takes to get to an airport, go through security, fly, pick up luggage, and get to my destination city by cab, Amtrak's downtown-to-downtown service is often nearly as quick. Plus, I don't have to surrender my water bottle, calculate the number of cosmetics I can carry, or take off my shoes to please a rude TSA checker! I live in DC and take the train every time I travel to Philly, NY, Boston, or Providence. In most cases, I use the Acela and sit in the quiet car, where I can avoid cell-phone talkers and vidiots.

The southern routes are another matter. There is no Acela service and there may be no quiet car. Your night's sleep may be interrupted by loud talkers or gamers unless you take a sleeper.

Lateness is always an issue on Amtrak, but who hasn't been delayed by an airline, or had luggage lost, or been stuck in highway traffic? However, you should not plan on arriving just a few hours before your cruise leaves--any more than you would if flying.

In terms of physical comfort, the Amtrak seats are wider than airline seats and have far more legroom. Plus you can walk around, which is impossible in a car and difficult on a plane.

About food and drink: Bring it. It's expensive on the train and not great. I usually bring lovely meals in a small cooler: chicken, salads, fruit, cheese, cookies, lots of wine! Bring real napkins and nice-quality plastic plates and cups or stemware--make meals an occasion.

If you decide to take the train, let us know how it goes.

A poster mentioned the Southwest Chief. That is our favorite route- those who have taken the train know that there are some great stopovers like Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon.

Amtrak offers stopovers on many of their routes, so people can get off, stay a night or more, and rejoin the train another day. Some do this on the East coast where you can stop over in a place like Charleston and have an added vacation! Lots of perks with train travel these days.

I frequently take the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago. I always have a sleeper because I have an Amtrak frequent miles card. Enough points to get a sleeper. I have not read all the posts so I don't know if someone has given this information, but even if you have booked coach check when you first get on the train for an available sleeper and if one is available you can get quite a discount.

I love Amtrak. I have gone round trip on the Pacific coast route, the Southwest Chief, the Sunset Limited. It is a great way to travel.

As far as sleepers go - dont bother for a 21 hour trip. Coach seats are better than 1st Class airline seats, I usually get a good nights sleep in them, and you will probably spend your daylight hours in the Observation Lounge.

And the Attendants do a good job of seating people by destination, to minimize disruption in the cars at night

I love Amtrak for shorter hauls (under 10 or 12 hours). By the time I figure in the time it takes to get to an airport, go through security, fly, pick up luggage, and get to my destination city by cab, Amtrak's downtown-to-downtown service is often nearly as quick. Plus, I don't have to surrender my water bottle, calculate the number of cosmetics I can carry, or take off my shoes to please a rude TSA checker! I live in DC and take the train every time I travel to Philly, NY, Boston, or Providence. In most cases, I use the Acela and sit in the quiet car, where I can avoid cell-phone talkers and vidiots.

The southern routes are another matter. There is no Acela service and there may be no quiet car. Your night's sleep may be interrupted by loud talkers or gamers unless you take a sleeper.

Lateness is always an issue on Amtrak, but who hasn't been delayed by an airline, or had luggage lost, or been stuck in highway traffic? However, you should not plan on arriving just a few hours before your cruise leaves--any more than you would if flying.

In terms of physical comfort, the Amtrak seats are wider than airline seats and have far more legroom. Plus you can walk around, which is impossible in a car and difficult on a plane.

About food and drink: Bring it. It's expensive on the train and not great. I usually bring lovely meals in a small cooler: chicken, salads, fruit, cheese, cookies, lots of wine! Bring real napkins and nice-quality plastic plates and cups or stemware--make meals an occasion.

If you decide to take the train, let us know how it goes.

You have said everything that I have been saying to myself. Food, traffic, and late arrivals can all happen whether it's by train, plane or car!

I don't believe these are available on any Eastern trains. The OP is going from Raleigh to Miami. That train will be the Silver Star, which has a dining car and a lounge, as well as sleeping accomodations, but no observation lounge. As a previous poster pointed out, our lower bridges and tunnels preclude use of some newer rolling stock.

Archived