Anyone ever traveled by train?

SunshneNC

I was looking at railway rates tonight and noticed that my family and I can travel to Miami for half the price of an airline ticket. The three of us was a total of $297 roundtrip leaving from Raleigh,NC and going to Miami, FL. I looked up the distance from Amtrak station in Miami to the Port of Miami and looks like it's only a few miles to the port.

The only thing I see that might would be a problem is the travel time to get there is almost 21 hours! I know that's a long time but look how cheap it is!

What would you do?? Has anyone ever traveled by train? Does it get uncomfortable after a couple of hours?

When you compare prices, don't forget to account for the meals the three of you would eat in 21 hours. And is thre price for seats or a compartment with beds? I wouldn't want to sit up for 21 hours.

I live in Maryland and we were thinking about taking the train to Miami as well. It is a lot cheaper. DH doesn't fly, we normally drive but it's just the two of us this year and he don't want to make that drive alone, I don't drive.

I've never traveled by train in the U.S., but I've traveled a lot by train in Europe, and I LOVE it. I wish the U.S. had a better rail system.

21 hours is a lonnnnnng time, though, compared to, what, a two-hour flight?

I've traveled by train.... We (mom, 3 y.o. daughter and I) opted for a private cabin. We had a double sleeper with private bathroom and tv... 3 meals included. The train staff even turn your beds for you! It's more expensive than coach. However, 21 hours is a long time to sit. they also have deluxe suites, which sleep 4 etc. They also have a larger sitting area with big comfy sofas and tables where you can walk to from your seat and stretch your legs as the coach seats are small. i would compare the cabin prices against the plane fare. :)

Good luck!

I was looking at railway rates tonight and noticed that my family and I can travel to Miami for half the price of an airline ticket. The three of us was a total of $297 roundtrip leaving from Raleigh,NC and going to Miami, FL. I looked up the distance from Amtrak station in Miami to the Port of Miami and looks like it's only a few miles to the port.

The only thing I see that might would be a problem is the travel time to get there is almost 21 hours! I know that's a long time but look how cheap it is!

What would you do?? Has anyone ever traveled by train? Does it get uncomfortable after a couple of hours?

.......21 hours........too long for me........and this is the reason that no one travels by train any more.

........are you planning to book a sleeping car......which is more expensive........or are your cheaper costs based on sitting in a chair for 21 hours......;)

The only thing I see that might would be a problem is the travel time to get there is almost 21 hours! I know that's a long time but look how cheap it is! What would you do?? Has anyone ever traveled by train? Does it get uncomfortable after a couple of hours?

Seems too long for me.... It would be a nice alternative in my mind, but I would base it on wanting to do it .... rather than saving a few bucks.

You might also consider a 21 hrs trip on a train would required at least 3 meals vs a 1-2 hr flight that may need at most 1 meal. Plus.... those train meals probably can get pricey.....

I'll admit, I'm a numbers oriented guy, and this seems to be a numbers oriented exercise. I believe you're saving around $300 for 3 people for essentially 2 full extra days of travel. That's $50/pp/day. I'd gladly pay the extra $50/day not to take the train, even if I did nothing more than read the newspaper with all that extra time. If you have to take a day or 2 of vacation to take the train, this isn't even close.

Now, maybe there is something special about that route such that the train becomes an extension of the trip, in which case it might make sense. I know that I prefer the trains in Europe because the countryside is so interesting, but even then, 21 hours is a long time.

I took Amtrak from Atlanta to Boston twenty years ago and that was a 23 hour trip. I just took coach, no bed and that was fine as the seats recline, and I would have enjoyed the trip a lot more except at the time my daughter was only 3 years old. she was fine until we hit the NY area, after that the train stopped around every 10 minutes as alot of people used it to get to work in that area. she then wanted OFF.

The food was not good, it tasted pretty much like TV dinners and it was pricy. I would pack some snacks if I were you. They would taste better.

Another thought for you, would be to get off at a stop midway and spend the night, I would do that before I would pay extra for a bed, at least 20 years ago, all you had was a little curtain thing and a seat that converted to a bed,so at least I would stay in my clothing, and to me, I felt I may as well just stay in the coach class, as that was not that much better, especially as the cost of the trip would DOUBLE for that. Now if I would get a little room and a shower or something like that, then it may would have been worth it.

I've taken Amtrak overnight a few times.

I think your kids will love the experience.

The seats recline enough to make the night fairly comfortable.

Remember, on a train you're not stuck in your seat the entire time like on a plane.

I havn't done the route you will, but all Amtrak routes I have been on there is an observation/lounge car, the restaurant car, and a "club" car with a bar and snacks. You can be up and walking around all you want.

I have never felt the need to get off ASAP, like I always do on a flight.

The food in the restaurant cars nowdays is quite good.

Train travel is very relaxing. Enjoy the scenery or read all day or nap... or sit and chat with your new friends.

As someone who used to live in Raleigh, now lives in NJ, and takes the Northeast Corridor trains all the time -- I just wanted to let you know that the Amtrak routes are not scenic. I'm not sure if that was one of your considerations in making this decision, but it's certainly not at all like European rail -- Amtrak stations tend to be a little on the grungy side, and the track runs through the more run-down parts of the towns you go through.

21 hours really is a long time... Are you and your family good with being confined in such a small space for so long? I will say that Amtrak coach seats are pretty comfortable (much like cushy airplane seats), but I would still recommend looking into the fare for a sleeper cabin, if you're set on using the train.

Gosh, two Amtrak threads this week!

DH and I take the train to all of our cruises. We've sailed from Seattle, New York, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and New Orleans. We love it, but we realize train travel is not everyone's cup of tea,

I would never (I hope) travel long distance on a train without having a bedroom. The economy bedroom is fine for us, though, as I just need to be able to lie down to sleep. I haven't sat up all night on a train since the California Zephyr from Chicago to Denver in 1974 and it wasn't comfortable then!

For a family I would either get two economy rooms or the Family Bedroom, if available (depending on the price). Remember, with a bedroom, all meals are included. The food isn't bad and you sure won't go hungry.

We ride because we like it but as I said, it's not for everyone.

DH and I did the train from Charleston, SC to Miami for a cruise a couple of years ago. We had gotten a great deal too...$169 R/T for 2. We did enjoy the train, as you can get up and walk around, sit in the club car, or just relax.

We did bring a blanket for sleeping at night along with small pillows. The chairs did recline, so sleeping wasn't bad.

We packed a small cooler with food/sodas in it for the trip. (Check to make sure you can still do this). We did have bagels/coffee from the snack bar for breakfast.

Just make sure that you give yourselves enough time to get down there. Trains do have a tendency of running HOURS late!!!!! We got into Miami around 9am, so it worked out great for us.

I think it's a matter of how you view the train ride. If you are looking at it as a simple matter of transportation to get from point A to point B, then 21 hours won't cut it - plus possible delays.

However, if you look at it as an additional part of a vacation, I think it makes for a great trip. I took Amtrak from Boston to Rochester, NY about 3 years ago because I wanted to travel by train again.

My seat was similar to that of a business class airplane seat with plenty of leg room. I'm 6' tall and I could not reach the seat in front of me with my feet while fully stretched out! Walking around while travelling was terrific and the trains are all non-smoking (smokers would get off the train at each station, puff away, and then reboard).

I only partially agree with the poster that wrote about the stations and areas that the tracks ran through. This condition I found is only true within the cities. Once outside, WOW!!! In my case, travel took us through the Berkshires. It was beautiful - and I'm not much of a nature guy.

The only caveat is timelyness. I had a 5 hour delay which was spent in Albany. The NYC part of the train we were to join up with was delayed 5 hours because the engine was delayed while coming up from further south. Many of the passengers mentioned that this was often a problem (at least at that time).

We live in VA,so it was about the same amount of time for us. It was not bad,but it did get uncomfortable after awhile. The seats do recline though. The people that we met along the were very interesting. We did have to stop a couple of times for various reasons. I was scared that we were gonna miss the boat.:eek: We made it in good time though.

If your kids are older and your bodies can handle being in just seats, I'd say DO IT.

If your kids are younger, if you guys have problems sleeping with others snoring around you, or if anyone would get really sore, either don't do it, or book a sleeping room.

I'm not 100% about the East Coast trains, but I know with the West Coast trains, if you have a sleeper, you're considered First Class, and the meals are included. I found the meals to be quite delicious, and my info is only 3 years old from my 24 hour trip down and 26 hours back. :)

Once you add a sleeper room, especially if it's for more than 2 people, the cost starts rising dramatically. Once again, though, meals are included, and I know that on the west coast trains, First Class has access to more lounge areas than coach or business seats.

I REALLY enjoy train travel, and it's only vacation time constraints and DS's personality that have kept us from doing it. OK fine, money, too. :)

Perhaps you guys could take a short trip, just to see how you like actually being on the rails?

OH, and yes, Amtrak is notoriously late, usually b/c they share the rails with freight trains which tend to break down, and due to lengthy stays at stations. I was delayed, 20 minutes after we left the station, in the switchyard south of Seattle (very UNlovely view, let me tell you!), for a reason that I ONLY found out about b/c there were newly married flight attendants in the first class lounge, who called an uppity-up guy with Amtrak that they knew, to find out what was up! Then as we got moving they waved at him as we passed the switch. :p

But yeah, except for SHORT trips where you are getting on at the FIRST station (so at least you're onboard rather than waiting at a station), expect delays.

If your kids are older and your bodies can handle being in just seats, I'd say DO IT.

If your kids are younger, if you guys have problems sleeping with others snoring around you, or if anyone would get really sore, either don't do it, or book a sleeping room.

I'm not 100% about the East Coast trains, but I know with the West Coast trains, if you have a sleeper, you're considered First Class, and the meals are included. I found the meals to be quite delicious, and my info is only 3 years old from my 24 hour trip down and 26 hours back. :)

Once you add a sleeper room, especially if it's for more than 2 people, the cost starts rising dramatically. Once again, though, meals are included, and I know that on the west coast trains, First Class has access to more lounge areas than coach or business seats.

I REALLY enjoy train travel, and it's only vacation time constraints and DS's personality that have kept us from doing it. OK fine, money, too. :)

Perhaps you guys could take a short trip, just to see how you like actually being on the rails?

OH, and yes, Amtrak is notoriously late, usually b/c they share the rails with freight trains which tend to break down, and due to lengthy stays at stations. I was delayed, 20 minutes after we left the station, in the switchyard south of Seattle (very UNlovely view, let me tell you!), for a reason that I ONLY found out about b/c there were newly married flight attendants in the first class lounge, who called an uppity-up guy with Amtrak that they knew, to find out what was up! Then as we got moving they waved at him as we passed the switch. :p

But yeah, except for SHORT trips where you are getting on at the FIRST station (so at least you're onboard rather than waiting at a station), expect delays.

One thing I have always wondered if you get a sleeper do you get shower facilities? If not I would just as soon sleep in my clothing and have a regualr seat-but it would be worth it-if I could freshen up.

One thing I have always wondered if you get a sleeper do you get shower facilities? If not I would just as soon sleep in my clothing and have a regualr seat-but it would be worth it-if I could freshen up.

Yes, there are shower facilities, If you are in a Bedroom (used to be called Deluxe bedroom) you do have a shower in your room. With a Family bedroom/economy bedroom there is a shower in the hall. (I don't get a sleeper for the shower-I get it for the bed.)

I did a Rail/Sail trip about 2 years ago,it was arranged by local Travel agency as a group booking. from Florida to California

I booked a sleeper (travel solo) which was just as well as you will read.

Group went by bus from west side of FL to Orlando to get train, no comfort stops on the way, it was a 3 hour drive! Got to train, grungy station, nowhere to get any thing to eat, and we were told that food on the train would not be available until 6p.m

Found my sleeper,so small and narrow that although I am normal size (14) I had to sit on the bed to undresss or dress.as there was not enough floor space to stand and do that. Toilet was down the corridor, and the shower was downstairs via a circular staircase, hard to manage with the train rocking. Fortunately I had packed body wipes, but using them was quite a circus act in the small compartment.

Food not bad, but bit like eating in a diner. the scenery was grungy . Nothing in the so called snack bar. Trip took three days, all we saw were peoples' untidy littered back yards . We were on time until New Orleans from then on we lost time over and over again, as we were shunted into sidings to let freight trains pass (they have priority)

Last day, we were running 8 hours behind schedule. We were able to buy breakfast but there was no other food on the train. We arrived at San Diego at 9p.m. Got to our hotel , no food there either, kitchen closed.

We've taken the train across country several times and to Florida several times. We enjoy it. It is not for everyone; it is an experience for those with patience and flexibility.

Train travel is slow- sometimes very slow- but then you get to see alot of the country- some beautiful, some not so lovely!

You need to be physically flexible to sleep in the coach seats- the seats do recline, pillows are given out, & lights are dimmed at 10 p.m. There are bathrooms in each car, and an attendant on duty at all times. The food is ok-the breakfasts are good. Most people bring some food with them.

There was a day when flying was very efficient- but now I think train travel offers a pleasant alternative. JMO.

It's been years since we did a train trip. The longest was from West Palm to upstste NY. We looked at it as an adventure and enjoyed it. The seats recline some as has already been said. No problem sleeping in the seats but a berth would be nice.

Food on board was good (better than a lot of airline meals I've had) but a bit pricey. Delays are an important consideration.

Would I do it again? Yes, depending on where I was going and if there were critical time constraints or not.

On another note, you live in a beautiful part of the country. Our daughters live in Gibsonville and Snow Camp. Someday we hope to live in that area too but jobs dictate staying put for now.

This will be our third time in three years taking the train to a cruise. This year we will drive forty minutes to a train station (Bloomington, Illinois) and get a family bedroom (no bath but when you have rooms, you have access to a cleaner bathroom and shower that the rest of the coach people can't get to) for the three of us. We will take the train to Longview, Texas (16 hours) and then Amtrak has their own bus that will take us into Galveston (5 hours - not looking forward to that part). Last year we took the train from Chicago (three hours from us) to Seattle. It was two days. It was great. It was just the two of us (special anniversary) and we had a roommete. They brought us snacks, had a wine and cheese tasting event, brought us champaign, was waited on hand a foot. The year before we took our two daughters and went coach (left Peoria, Illinois airport to Indy). Got on the train and went to New York. That was a long train ride but we had fun.

I hate to fly and this is just more enjoyable.

Archived