Rhapsody for Summer of 2008

Nitra

Ship Name: Rhapsody Of The Seas

Departure Port: Seattle, Washington

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska; Prince Rupert, British Columbia; Inside Passage (Cruising); Seattle, Washington

2008 Date(s): : May 30 , Jun 06 , Jun 13 , Jun 20 , Jun 27

Jul 04 , Jul 11 , Jul 18 , Jul 25 , Aug 01 , Aug 08 , Aug 15 , Aug 22 , Aug 29 , Sep 05

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite

$699.00 $899.00 $1,399.00 $1,549.00

I am going to be booking this cruise today :) Can you tell me what you love about it?

Hard to explain, she has a feel to her I have to find on another ship. She might not have the same feel when she leaves Texas but the some of the first cruises I did on her were not from Texas. First was Galveston, then I followed her to Tampa, then to New Orleans, and always had the same feel. I just had to go on her again.

We're booked on the May 30,2008 Alaska cruise right now(aft cabin!!)....(may change though,but wanted to get something booked) and we really loved Alaska..........

The Rhapsody is doing the old Vision itinerary since she is will be in Mexico year round then..

We just booked her!! I am so excited. I called last night to see if 8088 was available and it was. I grabbed DH's credit card in a hurry.

Nitra, I can't imagine a better combination than Alaska and the Rhapsody.

The itinerary is slightly different from that of the Vision in 2006. Juneau and Skagway are the same. It's cruising the Tracy Arm Fjord instead of stopping at Icy Strait Point and there's a stop in Prince Rupert instead of Victoria.

Anyway, I am so excited. (Have you all figured that out by now?) I'm not having to say to say good-bye to my favorite ship in May after all.

Is this where the Sawyer Glacier is? The cruise says it's Sawyer Glacier, but then I didn't see anything in the itinerary about it?

Yes it is, but you won't be going to the glacier. It will stop short if past runs there hold up. Just too narrow in there for a cruise ship. You will get a glimpse of it from afar. HOWEVER the ride down the fjord is one of the best around. Lot of waterfalls, wildlife, ect. You will have to take a small boat tour out of Juneau to see Sawyer Glacier.

The itinerary is slightly different from that of the Vision in 2006. Juneau and Skagway are the same. It's cruising the Tracy Arm Fjord instead of stopping at Icy Strait Point and there's a stop in Prince Rupert instead of Victoria.

I just meant she wass taking over the Vision Fri-Fri outta Seatlle cruise.......which date did you book??

Yes it is, but you won't be going to the glacier. It will stop short if past runs there hold up. Just too narrow in there for a cruise ship. You will get a glimpse of it from afar. HOWEVER the ride down the fjord is one of the best around. Lot of waterfalls, wildlife, ect. You will have to take a small boat tour out of Juneau to see Sawyer Glacier.

Does this mean we don't have the chance of seeing any calving from the ship? :(

I just meant she wass taking over the Vision Fri-Fri outta Seatlle cruise.......which date did you book??

You are, of course, absolutely correct. I think I was commenting like I did just because I am glad that I will be seeing a couple of new places. The cruise through the Fjord sounds lovely. The RCI write-up about that day does mention the Sawyer Glacier. I'd have inserted it here, but for some reason, I can't access their website right now.

We are booked for 9/5 - late in the season. The times I've been there before were in late May/early June. I kinda like the idea of cruising Alaska when it is cool.

Steve & Karen, I love the Vision class ships. I'll be on a Voyager class one for the first time next January and I think it will be fun for a change. The promenade looks fun and we will have to give Portofino's a try. However, I think I'll be glad to get back on the Rhapsody.

• 2 weeks later...

We took our first cruise on the Rhapsody and have been in love ever since. We did Alaska cruise in 2003 with Princess. All the time on the cruise we wished we were on the Rhapsody. I will be on the Rhapsody next summer. The Princess Star went up the Tracy Arm Fjord and it is beautiful. We were right up by the glacier and did see calving when we were there in July.

Maybe its time I did Alaska is all I gotta say. I was on Rhapsody less than 2 weeks ago and found her very easy to get around on, very convenient. Staff very friendly, friendly ship in general and good shows. Enjoyed Rhapsody as everyone says its a nice, pretty ship.

What a surprise when the iteneraries were posted to see our fair Rhapsody sailing the route we wanted to take! It will be nice to be in a familiar place while sailing on this adventure. It is a comfy ship.

Parrothead8, we are sailing with you. Somebody already started a post on the Meet & Mingle boards. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=540185

It starts with the Captain. Rhapsody has had the good fortune of having pasenger friendly Captains. That has translated to a crew that knows how to smile, knows how to provide service (in a professional manner) and a ship that is kept up!

The size and layout also help. Her size is perfect...not a floating island, and not small (heck, I remember crusiing on 14,000 tons ships..that was small). Her layout makes traversing any portion of the ship quick and easy. Her atrium sets the standard for how an atrium can be an integral part of the ship's ambiance.

We love Rhapsody of the Seas.

From what we hear from crew on the ship, that are no longer there, most of the crew has been replaced. They are moving the best to other ships and putting an Asian crew on board, makes sense logistally I guess. I will be on her in just over a week so we will see...

No matter what happens she will always hold some fond memories for me..

From what we hear from crew on the ship, that are no longer there, most of the crew has been replaced. They are moving the best to other ships and putting an Asian crew on board, makes sense logistally I guess. I will be on her in just over a week so we will see...

We were on RH in January and some of the new crew members were cut out of the same fine materials as the ones who departed. :) The feel, the smiles, and all around good nature were all in tact. Like others here Alaska hasn't had my attention but since we can "go home" to Alaska now it might be on the planning chart. For anyone reading this who is doing the canal or Hawaii you have choosen a great ship to do it on. Enjoy! :)

We noticed a huge difference from our cruise only six months ago to last week. There is a strong Asian presence on the crew. Still the same open friendly smiles you are used on Rhapsody. Just offered a little more quietly than a brash loud Texan (pointing at myself ;) here) might be accustomed to.

Skippy "Bingo Boy" announced during last day's Jackpot Bingo that he is retiring from his 11 year RCI career and headed home to Austin. He's going to try to find something to do on dry land. He said all he knows for certain is that he will never call Bingo again.

But there were several new staffers that were getting on with us. So I am guessing that most of them will stay on through the Asian run.

Wish I was getting back on with you, Nitra. Once again, we had a terrific time.

Archived