Mercury Arrives SF Drydock

avalon1025

Hiya Lois

Well, I'm sure you will make it out to The City for another cruise at some point.

Several ships have been tying up at Pier 27 lately - it's used as an "overflow" pier when another ship is at Pier 35.

Plans for the new cruise terminal are back on hold (yet again!).

Hi Jeanne, I have been trying to look but the bridgecam from the

Celebrity site is way off in the timing. It still looks like nighttime

from the picture. Where did you find that one?

So, I tried to do a search on the net for San Francisco Cams...lots

of them came up but I cannot find Mercury.

They have all sorts of websites down by the Pier and the Golden

Gate too but nothing with the ship on it (that I could see).

Just took a trip over to San Francisco and there sits my Beloved Mercury, high and dry, in a floating dry dock. She looked a little lonely to me (maybe if I could sneak on board for a Martini she wouldn't seem so alone.:rolleyes: )

Dave

Just took a trip over to San Francisco and there sits my Beloved Mercury, high and dry, in a floating dry dock. She looked a little lonely to me (maybe if I could sneak on board for a Martini she wouldn't seem so alone.:rolleyes: )

Dave

Dave.....not sure which is worse...seeing her up close and not

being able to board? or just thinking about the cruise and how

much fun I had?

Have a drink for me would you?;)

Tell Juro he needs to make you 2..one for each of us......

Lonely huh? The crew is on there though not sure they

are drinking from the Martini Bar...from the crew bar yes,

our bar? I don't think so.

Dave.....not sure which is worse...seeing her up close and not

being able to board? or just thinking about the cruise and how

much fun I had?

Have a drink for me would you?;)

Tell Juro he needs to make you 2..one for each of us......

Lonely huh? The crew is on there though not sure they

are drinking from the Martini Bar...from the crew bar yes,

our bar? I don't think so.

LOIS, MY FRIEND!!!

You've heard the term "So Near, Yet So Far"?

Now I know what it means.

Your'e gonna call me a traitor but I sail on the Oosterdam in 3 weeks. The Mercury Martini Bar, however, has NOT seen the last of me.

Take care,

Dave

Hi Dave, I would not do that honest:D

I hope you have a great cruise...3 weeks huh? Lets see, I will

be at work in 3 weeks:eek:

Yes...So Near......Yet So Far away.........oooyyy......

Maybe I will sail her again in Oct 2008:confused: long ways off!

Hi Lois. I found and copied the picture from the Cruiseclues.com website and the Cruise Cams, then the Kroozcams.com link and finally the Celebrity Cruises and Mercury link. Druke I Michael said "It appears to be from the drydock, which is out by Hunter's Point" so it maybe it is a current picture. I would sure like to see some pics of the Mercury while she's in drydock wouldn't you?????:) When the Star Princess was in drydock, for repair awhile back from the fire at sea damage, someone was right in the drydock area and frequently posting Star pictures so we were able to keep up with her repair progress.

Talk to you later.

I keep doing web searches for Pictures of the Merc Dry dock and the only thing that comes up is my stupid cruise blog about my last Mercury cruise and my upcoming Mercury cruise in June.

I was looking for a slide show like that had when the Century was in dry dock. I know the redo is not as extensive as what they did on Century but I am hoping that they will post some pictures of the transformation.

I just got off of her the day she sailed into dry dock. It was a wonderful cruise. I am very anxious to see the changes that are going to me made and how they affect the look of the cruise. Do not doubt for a second that the crew isn't doing anything, as that's what I thought, but they are going to have to work their tales off working 8 hours or more each day as they only have 6 days to get the entire ship ready for the next set of cruises. I heard from my waiter, that they are taking out all the carpeting in the Manhattan Restuarant and replacing it, along with reapulstering the chairs, then changing out all the beds, taking them out and replacing them wiht new ones, and then doing the same wiht the bathrooms at least the sink, as some of the construction started the last day of the cruise, during disembarkation. I also heard that they were redoing the entire pool deck and during the cruise some areas of the Resort Deck, or Deck 11 were blocked off due to the painting and the ripping of and replacing of the floors on the deck. This was towards the start of the cruise and by the end of the cruise was finished. The light fixtures are also all being replaced I believe, and there are going to be a few more improvements to the ship, but this is all my waiter knew at the time I had asked him. What a wonderful waiter he was too.. and so was my assistant waiter.. I miss them so much!!!! Anyhow, when we were disembarking, the crew members were all starting to get off the ship and enjoy San Diego, before they were suppossed to sail off, and the original time was at 2:00 but I guess that got bumped back to around 5:00.. I had never seen crew members outside the ship in normal clothes before, I knew that they got off the ship but at the times when I was around town or entering and leaving the ship I never saw any crew members, and I was jsut amazed at how they were in jeans and hoodies, and had the same stuff we do just we hardly ever get to see them in it. I thought it was really nice to see them outside of work and yet they still had their same friendly smiles and personalities. When we got off their was a line of workers with tools and ladders waiting to get on the ship so they could get started on all the work because it has to get done in time for their next cruise, but I am glad that the crew members get a well deserved break. I will have to cruise the Mercury again and see what the changes are like.

Archived