Reasonable Good Places to Eat Land Portion of Trip

Tyrkitty

Since we will be responsible for our own meals on the land portion of our trip, I would love to get some recommendations for good reasonably priced good local restaurants in the following cities. I have searched and have found favorable comments about the Castle and Big Daddy's Barbeque in Fairbanks and West Pub and Grill in Talkeetna. Any suggestions for great pizza, burgers, etc. Thanks for your feedback!

Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Aleyska

The Castle in Fairbanks is out of business. Any of the Thai places here are good as is Big Daddy's. Brewster's does good burgers. My favorite is the Golden Eagle bar in Ester where you can cook your own burger for $4 and the mystery beer is $1.

Not much choice in Denali outside the hotels or Subway. Even Lynx Creek Pizza is now owned by Princess. Rose's in Healy is good if you have your own car. The restuarant at the visitor's center has good sandwiches/lunch.

I would love to get some recommendations for good reasonably priced good local restaurants in the following cities.

Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Aleyska

We had a wonderful meal at Chair 5 in Girdwood/where the Aleyska Prince Resort is located. I had fresh Salmon dusted with Ginger with a Curry Cream sauce. Or was it dusted with Curry with a Ginger...OK, it was so good I googled Chair 5 and its: 'Curry dusted, pan seared and topped with ginger hollandaise' They always have the Halibut version, but the night I was there they had the Salmon version. By the way, as a result, I've only ordered salmon once in Charlotte and it was a mistake!

In Talkeetna we've enjoyed really good meals at Mountain High Pizza Pie (really good pizza and one humungus Calzone! We've also enjoyed a really good dinner at the West Rib Pub Cafe and Pub. Also a MUST...breakfast at the Talkeetna Roadhouse! The triple berry sourdough pancakes are incredible. I had to order two (afterall, when would I be back???) Of course it came soon...last year we went back and I had to get two again...couldn't finish them, now matter how hard I tried!

In Anchorage we LOVE the Beer Battered Halibut at Humpies! So so so good! The Glacier Brewhouse is also good, but I felt Humpies was more like a really good local place to eat!

I wasn't overly impressed with our choices in Fairbanks or Denali, so won't comment.

I wasn't overly impressed with our choices in Fairbanks or Denali, so won't comment.

For a great reasonable priced meal in Fairbanks go to the Cookie Jar. In Talkeetna the mile high and roadhouse are good, but I also enjoy the Lattitude 62 everytime we go.

In Anchorage go to Gwennies or Hogg Bros for a great breakfast. The new hot spot in town now is the City Diner. Brewhouse is always good as is Simon and Seaforts. The best pizza in Anchorage is Moose Tooth but if your in Eagle River come to Pizza Man.

Try to get to the bakery at the shopping center on the Corner of the Seward Highway and the entrance to Girdwood.

Will you have your own transportation??? Makes a big difference on recommendations since some of this list requires it.

the Perch outside of Denali Park is always good, and farther in Cantwell, I always make a Lazy J Stop. Talkeetna- I also recommend the Roadhouse and Latitude, always stops. :) The Mining company runs a downtown shuttle out of Anchorage and has great halibut and fritters. Moose's Tooth, Snow's Cafe. Fairbanks- Turtle Club and the Pumphouse. (although have not recently been to the Pump House) if you have a car - Chatanika Lodge.

Gosh this is making me hungry for great Alaska style food, which we always find nice and fresh, and big portions! My daughter works for Princess on their trains between Anchorage and Fairbanks, and of couse sometimes between Whittier and Denali...she leaves today and is so excited to be on her whey. She is actually driving all the way from Charlotte to Anchorage. You can imagine, as she drives up thru northen Canada and Alaska, this will be one nervous Mom! Ok, back to this topic! She said just last night she can hardly wait to go to Snow City Cafe in Anchorage. Of course their breakfasts are great, but she said they have incredible Tomato Basil Soup! She also mentioned that Phyllis's Cafe & Salmon Bake in Anchorage is really good too.

HappyAlaska planning today!

Thanks for all the recommedations. Keep them coming. I had searched a lot of trip reports to get this information, but thought a special thread could prove interesting. Appreciate the clarification about places for travelors with and without cars. I guess if it is extra special we could take a cab.

My daughter works for Princess on their trains between Anchorage and Fairbanks, and of couse sometimes between Whittier and Denali...she leaves today and is so excited to be on her whey. She is actually driving all the way from Charlotte to Anchorage.

SEPyle,

Oh my, how long will it take DD to get to Anchorage?

My DH and I will be going in 2008 but we'll be flying.

How come she does'nt fly?

My daughter works for Princess on their trains between Anchorage and Fairbanks, and of couse sometimes between Whittier and Denali...she leaves today and is so excited to be on her whey. She is actually driving all the way from Charlotte to Anchorage.

SEPyle,

Well, considering it's about 4400 miles, I'd say 64-70 hours of driving. Looking at a 5-6 day journey at 12 hours/day!

SEPyle,

Well, considering it's about 4400 miles, I'd say 64-70 hours of driving. Looking at a 5-6 day journey at 12 hours/day!

Actually You're absolutely right, they are driving so they will have a care in Anchorage. Last summer they didn't and even though they loved biking along the Coastal trail, it got old biking to the RR depot before 6AM in the morning and biking UP the big hill after a 15 to 16 hour shift on return trips! Also a car is great for discovering the wonders of Alaska during each 3 day off period! Now for the distance.

According to the TripTic we got for her it will take about 95 driving hours and around 4400 miles. They have friends and relatives to visit along the way and will take around 2 1/2 weeks to make the trip. They will be reporting to work on May 7th, so she's off on the ultimate road trip!

BQ and anyone else that woud know DH and I don't care for salmon at all, will we have a problem getting steaks, or other foods?

I will also recommend the Glacier Brewhouse and Simon & Seafort's in Anchorage. Simon & Seafort's has a really nice view of Cook Inlet but is kind of expensive. Anchorage also has a fair number of good Asian restaurants of various styles.

There is no problem getting food other than salmon. After all, if restaurants didn't serve other food, they would lose as customers all of us who catch our own and never order salmon (or halibut) when we go out.

If you don't like salmon, but have never tried fresh, wild king, red, or silver salmon, you might want to give it a try. It is not like Atlantic salmon or farmed salmon at all. Or that stuff they sell in the cans...which is usually pink salmon (and those of us fortunate enough to have the "real" stuff rarely eat pink salmon).

Archived