best sunscreen?

carlywilson

I am going on the CB in early June. My son is EXTREMELY fair skinned, his face burned after being out in the sun for like 15 minutes this weekend. What would be the best sunscreen and spf for the early summer caribbean climate? I am planning on buying him a rashguard for snorkeling, hopefully that will help some. Thanks!

Carly

For our kids we have used Coppertone 50 SPF Broad Spectrum Protection which can be found in most drug stores. It would help if he wore a cap, also in sporting good stores they have special shirts that also offers extra protection from the sun.

SOMEONE ON THIS SITE GAVE ME SOME GOOD ADVISE SENCE i HAVE TWO KIDS AND WILL BE PUTTING SUN SCREEN ON THEM ALL THE TIME AND WILL NOT ALWAYS HAVE SOME WERE TO WASH MY HANDS OFF THEY HAVE SPRAY ON SUN SREEN. iT WAS ABOUT THE SAME PRICE. I BOUGHT SOME FOR OUR CRUISE COMING UP.:D I PAID AROUND $8.00 AT CVS BUT I BET LOTS OF PLACES HAVE IT!

We use Bullfrog SPF 45 - it has both UVA/UVB protection. it's sweatproof, waterproof and unscented. We have used it in Tahiti, Australia, China and Hawai'i and never gotten a sunburn with its use. it's not the cheapest product on the market, but we are very confident with it and so it's worth the extra $$.

Charlie

I highly recommend Neutragena sunblock in SPF 70. It's waterproof and sweatproof. It has a "clean" scent. I'm not sure if there's an unscented version or not. I'm very pale and burn easily. On a recent trip to Rio de Janeiro, my skin survived the beach, as well as several days in sleeveless shirts with absolutely zero burns thanks to this sunscreen.

Here's a quick related question -- what about biodegradable sunscreen? There are some snorkeling excursions where you're not allowed to wear standard sunscreen because of the impact on the coral life... So do any of you have recommendations for good, strong biodegradable sunscreen for people who burn very easily? Thanks!

Here's a quick related question -- what about biodegradable sunscreen? There are some snorkeling excursions where you're not allowed to wear standard sunscreen because of the impact on the coral life... So do any of you have recommendations for good, strong biodegradable sunscreen for people who burn very easily? Thanks!

I've seen some biodegradable (or natural) sunscreens in our local Health/Organic Market. I think it's called UV Natural, but don't quote me on the name.

I live in rural WV, so if we have it...everyone has to have it. LOL ;)

As long as the SPF is high enough, it won't matter at all which BRAND you choose! For kids, look for waterproof--but re-apply often! It will wipe off when you towel yourself dry after swimming. Don't forget sunglasses to protect their eyes! The further south you go, the stronger the sun's rays will be!

I've seen some biodegradable (or natural) sunscreens in our local Health/Organic Market. I think it's called UV Natural, but don't quote me on the name.

I live in rural WV, so if we have it...everyone has to have it. LOL ;)

Hey, careywv, I live in Charleston. Lewisburg is a lovely town...are you flying out of Charleston for your cruise?

Regarding the sunscreen, I'll check Drug Emporium, they have a section called Healthy Life Market which carries all kinds of organic products. I don't know if Drug Emporium is a national chain or not, but there are several around here.

Actually, we are just driving since it's not that far to Norfolk. It's only about a 4 hour drive from here.

There's no way I could get my DH on a boat and a plane for one vacation. That would be too much for him. LOL

We don't have a Drug Emporium here...shocker. We do have CVS and the ever popular Wal-Mart. For all natural sunscreen, I'll travel to our natural health food store called Edith's. It's right in town.

While I use Ombrelle...it is really important to check the active ingredients in your sunscreen..lots claim to be UVA/B blocking but there is no regulation in the market. You must look for one that states it contains either Avobenzone or Titanium Dioxide. Talk to a pharmacist for the best recommendation. The Ombrelle I mentioned comes in waterproof varieties with differing SPF's (I've seen as high as 60). Don't forget to get a lip balm that is also a sunscreen.

:o

SOMEONE ON THIS SITE GAVE ME SOME GOOD ADVISE SENCE i HAVE TWO KIDS AND WILL BE PUTTING SUN SCREEN ON THEM ALL THE TIME AND WILL NOT ALWAYS HAVE SOME WERE TO WASH MY HANDS OFF THEY HAVE SPRAY ON SUN SREEN. iT WAS ABOUT THE SAME PRICE. I BOUGHT SOME FOR OUR CRUISE COMING UP.:D I PAID AROUND $8.00 AT CVS BUT I BET LOTS OF PLACES HAVE IT!

One word of warning with spray-on sunscreens: if you have acryllic nails, DON'T use it! I found out the hard way. The sprays contain acetone which is what's used to soak off the acryllic on your nails. Fortunately, it only damaged the very top layer so it was easily buffed at the salon later that day (thanks to our Butler, Lani, for getting me into the spa so quickly!!!).

Happy Sailing! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a plastic surgeon, so we are all about sun protection! (less sun less wrinkles :D ) You should get atleast an SPF 15 and apply it often. Look for ZINC in the ingredients, that blocks sun the best!

I'm not sure of your children's ages, but we also have a little blondie with porcelain skin. We bought her a coppertone SPF 50 sunsuit/swimsuit. It is great - it leaves a lot less area to apply sunscreen. We use coppertone SPF 50 spray sunscreen and a solid SPF 50 stick for her face - they work great!

He might not like to wear a hat, but if you can find a cool one, maybe he will. My sister in law is a strawberry blonde and burns easy. Even at the ocean she wears a large hat, t shirt and shorts over her bathing suit.

Thanks for all the sunscreen tips! My son will definitely wear a hat, as well as a rash guard, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen applied heavily. He blistered burned a few years ago, it was quite painful, and he is up for whatever he can do to never have that occur again.

Thanks again

Carly

Archived