If you had to choose ...

I have done both numerous times and I would pick the Eastern. I do prefer the Southern ports by far but I enjoy my days at sea more than anything and the Eastern always offers more days at sea. (The Southern can often only have one day at sea.) For me it's a matter of priority and relaxing days at sea are #1 in my book.

would you pick southern or eastern Caribbean?

I have both booked at the moment and may have to cancel one (which is KILLIN' me!)

Thoughts?

I would recommend the Southern. As some other posters already mentioned, the southern swings by St Thomas and St Maarten too, so you get your cake and can eat it too..!! If your going on Serenade, its an awsome ship and itinerary. You will not be let down. E-mail me for more info if youd like....

Keith

It depends on which port you will leave from! I have no desire to fly to San Juan to catch a ship. I'd much rather leave from the actual States. We did the Panama cruise, which left from Miami--

We left San Juan on the AOS to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St Thomas. Very different ports and very interesting. Would recommend it in a heart beat. There was 2 days at sea, very relaxing.

I have only done Eastern, but given the choice of one or the other I would choose Southern. As a previous poster said, the Southern itinerary has some of the same ports as the Eastern PLUS IMHO it's cool to see the ABC islands, or at least 2 of them (Curacao and Aruba) as they have desert-like climates with pretty beaches.

You can't go wrong with either choice though!

For me it would depend on the time of year you're cruising. I suffer in intense heat and humidity, so I'd never do a southern itinerary between April and October. We did do the southern years ago in early May, and it ws so hot on deck at 11:00 at night that it was unbearable. Both are grand trips, though.

We did the southern 2 years ago and LOVED it. We flew into San Juan the day before and just relaxed around the hotel. For us coming from Washington State we took a red eye and arrived into San Juan in the afternoon, so it was a long trip. The next day we arrived at port and were let on the ship at around 2pm, we tried Princess that year and they did not sail until 10pm so once we got situated on the ship we got off and went into Old San Juan. Our ports of call were St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, Barbados and St.Lucia. The beaches were beautiful and we thought everyone was very nice.

Last year we did a eight day Eastern on the Radiance and I would say if you do decide to do the Eastern, an eight day is the way to go. The problem with the 7 day is you have more sea days (than we like).

Southern without a doubt. Islands are very scenic. St Lucia is gorgeous.

Cruising out of San Juan is no problem, and you have the great advantage of warm weather from Day 1 if you're cruising in the winter months.

Wish I were back on Serenade.....

Since we just did AOS Dec '06 (Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten, St Thomas ... love love loved it ! ! !), and I have scammed my MSO into his second, my third cruise ...

We are going to swap our Dec '06 from AOS to Serenade (Deck Eight, Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom #8596 - my first hump Cabin :p )

Cancel the cruise in Mar '07 and possibly pick one of the islands we have visited that we loved the most and visit for a week.

Not sure I'll be able to stand being on the same beach for 5 days ...

and OMG, No Sea Days ! ! LOL ! !

Now all I need is an update on what to expect on SOS and Antiqua, St Lucia and Barbados :rolleyes:

Archived