Hotels - Bangkok

spindrift

We will be in Bangkok the last part of Feb., '08 and 1st of Mar. Can you recommend a great hotel for about a 3-night post cruise that is in a great location with great views. What about the Shangri La? Thanks.

Is 3 nights enough to see a great deal? Can't stay much longer as we would have been gone approx. a month.

We will be in Bangkok the last part of Feb., '08 and 1st of Mar. Can you recommend a great hotel for about a 3-night post cruise that is in a great location with great views. What about the Shangri La? Thanks.

Is 3 nights enough to see a great deal? Can't stay much longer as we would have been gone approx. a month.

Peninsula-One of the top hotels in the world, right on the river, just opened a new deluxe spa if you are into spas. I have stayed there several times. I LOVE that hotel.

If you are staying for 3 nights, you may be able to get a great deal. I booked the package for two nights with Bentley pickup at the airport, formal high tea, skytrain pass, breakfast and water taxi for about $500.00 in September 2006-grand deluxe room with river view-floor to ceiling windows. Price depends on the season, as there is DEFINITELY a high season and low season.

Look at AsiaRooms, AsiaHotels, and the Peninsula website. The Pen

website has been running some pretty good specials to introduce their new spa. Enjoy!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in the Four Seasons while we were in Bangkok and really enjoyed the property. It isn't far away from the Shangra La, but we weren't on the river. We are right across from the old polo fields.

As for there being time to see lots in Bangkok, it depends upon whether or are on a tour or just driving around via taxi or what-have-you. We saw tons of stuff during our three days there, including the palace, the Golden Buddha, a cruise on the river, drove up to Nong Nooch and over to Puket. If you are going through Princess, check out her tours (they are offered at the hotel). While you could probably do it cheaper on your own, we enjoyed someone else taking care of all the details.

Charlie

I also stayed at the Shearton Royal Orchid and loved it. The buffet breakfast (It was included for us, so I don't know how much it was) was really wonderful. we walked to see both the Pennusila and the Shangri La both looked beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok has no shortage of luxury hotels - my personal favourites are the Four Seasons, the Sukhothai, the Peninsula and the Conrad. The Four Seasons is very close to the city's main shopping district and just 10 minutes' walk from the four-faced Buddha. The Sukhothai is more of a resort hotel and has lovely grounds. The Peninsula is on the other side of the river, but has a shuttle boat service. The Conrad is very sleek and modern and has a beautiful pool area. Whatever your decision, you simply can't go wrong with any of the city's 5-star hotels.

Bangkok is notorious for its bad traffic, so it's a good idea to make use of its skytrain (BTS) which will take you to the major sights within the city. A 3-day tourist pass is 280 baht (around US$8). Although taxi rides are cheap you would not wish to be stuck in the traffic for hours.

You might also want to check out the Chao Phrya Tourist Boat with stops at 10 piers, taking you to many of the city's top attractions, like the Grand Palace, Chinatown and the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. A day pass is only 100 baht (around US$3) and allows unlimited rides, kind of like a hop-on hop-off bus.

Here are some websites on Bangkok:-

http://www.sawadee.com/

http://www.bts.co.th/en/index.asp

http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/chao-phraya-river-tourist-boat.html

• 4 weeks later...

All river side hotels are nice that includes The Oriental, Sheraton Orchid and Shangrila, but they are away from the city shopping area. If you only there for 3 nights, I highly recommand the Siam Square area over river side. The SQ location is much better, yes, it does not have river but if you stay high enough, you will get a great city view.

For 5 stars hotel, try Hyatt, InterContinental Bangkok and Peninsula. For 4 stars, try Siam Novotel and Holiday Inn, or 3 stars try Arnoma and Pathumwan pricess. All great hotels and great location. You can book the room from this website

http://directrooms.com/thailand/hotels/bangkok-hotels/siam-square-price1.htm

For river side hotels try this link

http://directrooms.com/thailand/hotels/bangkok-hotels/riverside-price1.htm

We stayed at the Shangri la two nights before our cruise. Had a room right on the water and got an amazing deal on it through Priceline. Also, if you get their Golden Circle card, they threw in a free enormous buffet breakfast. You could eat it inside or out, but we chose out by the water.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the hotels that have been mentioned here. Bangkok has some amazing properties and we loved the city. So much to see and do. We used a private tour guide to get us around which saved us time in trying to figure out everything ourselves. Enjoy your trip.

Cathy

Boy, these are Who's Who of the best hotels in Bangkok! I have been there many times and never paid more than 800 B for a night in a hotel. These hotels may be the last parts of Bangkok that I will get to visit (if ever)! :p

Nancy,

When we stayed in Bankok two nights before our cruise, we used Ratt. Her web page is http://www.ratservice.com and she customised our entire tour to include what we were interested in. Then the day we went to the ship, her husband took us by limo from Shangri-la to the cruise terminal. Her rates were great.

Cathy

Has anyone stayed here?? We are booked for a 4 night stay before our October cruise. It looks good on paper but have not heard anyone mention it. Would love to have some first hand info.

Thanks

Ann

We spent 5 days in Bangkok after a Beijing to Bangkok cruise two years ago, and we stayed at the Peninsula. I felt like I was in a dream. The accomodations were superb. We had a corner room over looking the river and the view was spectacular. The food in the restaurants was excellent, with breaakfast being included. They provide a wonderful free shuttle boat across and down the river. Plus there are lots of neat shops right across the river and over two short blocks. The service at the Peninsula is fabulous! They are so warm and friendly too. While we were there, we attended a dinner show at the Oriental Hotel. We took the Peninsula shuttle across to the Oriental, then took the Oriental's shuttle to the pavillion where the dinner was held. First class Thai food and a very well-done dance performance. The Oriental is also a fabulous property and so is the Shangri-la.

There is so much to see around Bangkok. We booked our day trips around Bangkok through Pleasant Holidays as part of a hotel/tour package. We had our own car and driver and guide, so we saw exactly what we wanted. One day we took a trip out of town to see the floating market which was great. We saw the big palace in Bangkok, the reclining Buddha, the Golden Buddha, and then went out to Ayutthaya and took a boat cruise back down the river to Bangkok.

It was a trip of a lifetime. I know you will enjoy it.

I have not been able to open the tour guide site either. I've tried a number of times in the last couple of days and no luck. I'll keep trying. Maybe they aren't in business anymore.

Has anyone stayed here?? We are booked for a 4 night stay before our October cruise. It looks good on paper but have not heard anyone mention it. Would love to have some first hand info.

Thanks

Ann

Marriott Riverside: We stayed here a few years back - we have been to Bangkok many times and usually stay in the Sukhumvit Road area [The Landmark] and this time we wanted to be somewhere else. It is a lovely hotel right on the river and you jump on their complimentary 'junk' to get transferred into the centre of town - you are dropped right by Taksin Bridge which is where the SkyTrain stop is - takes about 15 mins to get there and amazing to see the life on the river. The Taksin Bridge stop is right next door to the ShangriLa [where we stayed last visit] and is where all the other hotels boats drop off too - so you can spend your day jumping on one boat after another and visiting all the 5* hotels [Pen/ Oriental / ShangriLa etc] and seeing what they are like!!!

As an aside - the only hotel I have been very disappointed in is the Dusit Thani - would not go there again!

That's odd that I can't get the web site to work right now either. I know it worked when I posted it, so I have written an email to see what the situation is. Ratt does a wonderful job and for a great price. I'll get back to this after I hear from her.

Cathy

Thanks so much for the info on the Marriott Riverside. It sounded nice from Marriott's site but always good to hear from someone that has been there.

We are getting real excited and only three months till we leave. Have to get busy................It seemed so far away and now time is going quickly!

Ann

For those that were interested in the Bangkok private tours or transportation to the ship, I have been in contact with Ratt. She wasn't aware her web site had a problem since she is still able to get in, but is finding others talking of the problem as well, so she's thinking of changing companies for the web site.

She's definitely still doing the private tours and you can reach her at rat_bkk@yahoo.com. We used her for an entire day and saw so much more than we would on our own since she knows the back roads and how to get around. Then we used her husband the next day for the transportation to the ship since there were four of us with lots of luggage and her car is smaller.

Her rates are very good and I hope all have as wonderful of an experience with her as we did. We did the local Wat's and things on our own the first day and had her to do the things like the floating market, etc. Good luck and enjoy Bangkok! I love this city.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Baiyoke Sky Hotel, the tallest building in Bangkok. We stayed there for two weeks and loved it. I would consider it a 4-5 star hotel.

Our room was enormous and the rate included a fabulous breakfast buffet that had all types of food, from Western to Indian to Chinese to Thai. It was huge! The cost was something ridiculously cheap like $60/night.

We loved it and would definitely go back. It's right in the Pratunam district, great for buying clothing.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Baiyoke Sky Hotel, the tallest building in Bangkok. We stayed there for two weeks and loved it. I would consider it a 4-5 star hotel.

Our room was enormous and the rate included a fabulous breakfast buffet that had all types of food, from Western to Indian to Chinese to Thai. It was huge! The cost was something ridiculously cheap like $60/night.

We loved it and would definitely go back. It's right in the Pratunam district, great for buying clothing.

do u think 60$ is cheap,its may be for Americans :),but its still costly for asians and I am sure u could have got a better room for that price

Archived