All Things Mariner Of The Seas

My first cruise ever was on MOS in March 2009. We did Mexico and a word of caution for first timers, the waters are ROUGH. I suggest taking some gravol( motion sickness pills) with you. We had 14 foot swells and it made me sea sick, then when we docked in Cabo, I was sick on the land because it took a while for me to get my sea legs.

I hear caribbean sailings are much smoother, hence the reason I booked a western caribbean for November on LOS.

My first cruise ever was on MOS in March 2009. We did Mexico and a word of caution for first timers, the waters are ROUGH. I suggest taking some gravol( motion sickness pills) with you. We had 14 foot swells and it made me sea sick, then when we docked in Cabo, I was sick on the land because it took a while for me to get my sea legs.

I hear caribbean sailings are much smoother, hence the reason I booked a western caribbean for November on LOS.

I've been to the Mexican Riviera four times (May, October, February and June) and have never had seas over six or seven feet. It is all weather related. If there is bad weather nearby - lookout! If there is nothing but good weather - smooth sailing.

I've been to the Mexican Riviera four times (May, October, February and June) and have never had seas over six or seven feet. It is all weather related. If there is bad weather nearby - lookout! If there is nothing but good weather - smooth sailing.

Same with me did this trip at least 6 times (coast of Mexico Repos. not always a Mexican Riviera) and never had a rough trip. Maybe I'm due though.

We were on Mariner in early July and the seas were quite smooth. Never had any more motion that our experiences in the Caribbean. Sounds like you got hit with some bad weatehr somewhere along the way which created the rough seas. From what I have researched, rough seas are definitely not the norm on that route. Sorry to hear your experience. You should give the MR another try!

We'll be on the Mariner for our first cruise in less than a week.

I have seen all the pics offered on these boards and read almost every word, particularly those pertaining to the Mariner and the MX Riviera so I am very excited.

Can't figure this out though: As you look at bow of the ship, there is a portion of what looks like deck 10 that is almost all glass and protrudes slightly over the port and starboard sides of the ship. Is this the bridge? Is there any passenger access to this area? Looks like the best seat in the house.

Thanks,

jpf

I have seen all the pics offered on these boards and read almost every word, particularly those pertaining to the Mariner and the MX Riviera so I am very excited.

Can't figure this out though: As you look at bow of the ship, there is a portion of what looks like deck 10 that is almost all glass and protrudes slightly over the port and starboard sides of the ship. Is this the bridge? Is there any passenger access to this area? Looks like the best seat in the house.

Thanks,

jpf

jpf, are you on the August 16 sailing? If so, be sure to sign up for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35). Also, check out the roll call for this cruise!

Thanks,

jpf

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

That is indeed the bridge you are referring to. The two end extending over the side are used when the ship is docking.

There is no passenger access to the bridge. However, there is an area on deck eleven that will allow you to look into the bridge area ...

2196368220095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

2835044860095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks,

jpf

Yes, that's the bridge, only accessible by crew & briefly for special tours. However, there are great views to be seen from many places all over the ship.

The lounges and game rooms on 14 provide sweeping views to the sides and overlook the pool area in front. The Windjammer cafe has large windows to the sides, as well as straight off the back of the ship. The fitness center has large windows facing forward, great for zoning out as you use a treadmill.

My 20 year old son is coming on our Mariner cruise and is about 6'7" tall.

Are there going to be any (many?) areas of the ship where he is going to bang his head on some low ceiling or passage way?

jpf

Not to worry. On our recent Mariner cruise, we sailed with a family of college basketball players. There were quite a few of them as they had included family friends that were basketball players on other college teams. What a great group they were! I didn't see one of them with a swollen forehead:p Seriously, the whole family was 6' & over with most of the basketball team members your sons height & taller. I didn't see any area where the ceilings appeared to be low or would present a problem. If anything, ceiling/room height was quite spacious. Even the cabin hallways seemed spacious when I compare them to other ships we have sailed on.

Your son will be fine:)

Have a GREAT cruise!

My 20 year old son is coming on our Mariner cruise and is about 6'7" tall.

Are there going to be any (many?) areas of the ship where he is going to bang his head on some low ceiling or passage way?

jpf

The only place I have ever seen someone very tall have to duck their head a little was on a deck 10 passage way heading towards the aft cabins. I think it was because of a hanging sign like this.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1201893410054903554wCrgoS

We are finally doing the Mexican Riveria next March for Spring Break. It was cheaper for us to fly from San Antonio to California than drive to Galveston to take the Voyager the week of the 14th. Crazy!

we are on this one too!! Join us et. al. on the roll call for this one.

So Cuizer, which month of the 4 you've sailed was the overall weather the best both on the trip down and in Mexico itself? I know that in the winter (yes, California does have winter!) the weather might be cold on the way down and I might have to sit out in it while my daughter swims. I also know there are advantages (whale watching in winter) and disadvantages (rough seas or searing heat) to any time you sail, but just curious what your experience has been.

Happy Sails!

So Cuizer, which month of the 4 you've sailed was the overall weather the best both on the trip down and in Mexico itself? I know that in the winter (yes, California does have winter!) the weather might be cold on the way down and I might have to sit out in it while my daughter swims. I also know there are advantages (whale watching in winter) and disadvantages (rough seas or searing heat) to any time you sail, but just curious what your experience has been.

Happy Sails!

I don't recall any problems on any of the four:

May 2004 - a little fog the first morning. After that great weather. A little rough going home, but the ship was running at full speed against the current.

October 2005 - Hot and humid. Though I really didn't feel it, the ship was pitching so much on the way home that they closed the pool on the last day. The cruise before us had to deal with a hurricane.

February 2008 - only went south (and then through the Panama Canal). We had a tail wind and frankly things could not have been better.

June 2009 - Rained one port day, otherwise fine (not as hot as I expected). The trip home was fine, but then we had two days to get home and the ship was going at a slower speed.

Thanks for the info. I'm reading your review now and am really enjoying it. It is very helpful when people give detailed reports. My husband did the Mexican Riviera as a kid (40 years ago) and didn't like it, so it's my quest to convince him it will be way more fun this time. Your info is helping!

Happy Sails!

Thanks for the info. I'm reading your review now and am really enjoying it. It is very helpful when people give detailed reports. My husband did the Mexican Riviera as a kid (40 years ago) and didn't like it, so it's my quest to convince him it will be way more fun this time. Your info is helping!

Happy Sails!

If you are referring to me, I can post a link to all three reviews (I did not write one for the Carnival Pride in May 2004). One is hard to find because I misspelled my name.

NCL Star - Oct 2005 - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13327

NCL Jade - Feb 2008 - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38933

Mariner OTS - June 2009 - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=55962

Cuizer what would you say was the overall condition of the ship? Did things look nice and well taken care of or tired and threadbare? The cruises we've been on lately have been on brand new ships and I don't think I'd like a worn out looking ship.

Thanks again for all your help!

I thought the ship looked fine, but then I am not that picky. So, here is a link to a photo album with about 530 photos of the Mariner taken in June 2009 ...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573273143cjeyif

I'm so excited to be going on this ship October 4th! I've been on Voyager and Explorer before...how will this ship compare to those for me? I know they are mostly similar...but what are the differences?

This is my first time sailing from the West Coast...I am from Florida and just moved to California a year ago. I am used to leaving from Ft Lauderdale and Miami and doing the Caribbean....not SUPER excited about the itinerary - but I feel like most ports are the same between these and the Caribbean ones and a cruise is a cruise!! Nothing to complain about, right?

I'm so excited to be going on this ship October 4th! I've been on Voyager and Explorer before...how will this ship compare to those for me? I know they are mostly similar...but what are the differences?

This is my first time sailing from the West Coast...I am from Florida and just moved to California a year ago. I am used to leaving from Ft Lauderdale and Miami and doing the Caribbean....not SUPER excited about the itinerary - but I feel like most ports are the same between these and the Caribbean ones and a cruise is a cruise!! Nothing to complain about, right?

The Mariner OTS is the last of the Voyager class ships. It does not have an Adventurer Beach like the Voyager and Explorer do. Instead it has an expanded teen area. Also, in the Royal Promenade it has a wine press while the other Voyager class ships all have a car.

The balconies on the Mariner are outside the structure of the ship. Thus the balconies on the Mariner have a more open air feeling. The balconies on the Voyager and Explorer are inside the structure of the ship.

The Mariner OTS is the last of the Voyager class ships. It does not have an Adventurer Beach like the Voyager and Explorer do. Instead it has an expanded teen area. Also, in the Royal Promenade it has a wine press while the other Voyager class ships all have a car.

The balconies on the Mariner are outside the structure of the ship. Thus the balconies on the Mariner have a more open air feeling. The balconies on the Voyager and Explorer are inside the structure of the ship.

Well we have no kids with us so that's not so important...and we don't have a balcony (unless the prices keep dropping!)

I knew about Vintages being an addition on the Mariner...

The pool looks very different, being full of Britto inspired work. I love that! (very very South Florida)...

I just want more tips/secrets! I haven't been on the VOS or EOS since 2005 so I'm just itching for more to read!

Well we have no kids with us so that's not so important...and we don't have a balcony (unless the prices keep dropping!)

I knew about Vintages being an addition on the Mariner...

The pool looks very different, being full of Britto inspired work. I love that! (very very South Florida)...

I just want more tips/secrets! I haven't been on the VOS or EOS since 2005 so I'm just itching for more to read!

Here is a link to about 530 photographs of the Mariner of the Seas, so you can see it for yourself ...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573273143cjeyif

Glad to finally find this thread!! A newer post was concerned that not much was on here about the Mariner and I agreed so I went looking and found this started 2 years ago!! DH, DD, DS and I are taking the Mariner over Thanksgiving week and are really looking forward to it. We have adjoining Promenade rooms. Roll Call for this cruise is slooooow. Anyone out there cruising then?

Archived