Between Cruises

BAR-TENDER

I'd like to go on one of those New England Fall cruises. Anybody been on one? Anybody interested in going on one? Anybody want to talk about going on one? They sound really good to me.

I had a friend or rather a customer in the bar a year or so ago who was going on a doowop cruise, with a bunch of doowop groups from the 60's and it went out of east coast up to Canada. I thought that would be fun.Also one that leaves the west coast down to the panama canal and up to Fla. wow would that be fun. Are there any cruises that do the east coast on a regular basis?

Of the big cruiselines Carnival, HA, and RCCL all do East Coast cruises, probably others as well. Carnival has some nice round trip New York cruises.

My husband and I did the Panama Canal a few years ago, starting in New Orleans and ending in Los Angeles. That was really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - this sounds like a fun thread - yes, it's sometimes depressing to be inbetween cruises - wish I could have 3 or 4 already booked at the same time - but unfortunately, vacation time from work needs to be considered plus we also like to go on land trips. Right now we are booked for a Nov 11, 2007 Caribbean Cruise on the Explorer but am now thinking of the cruise after - where? when? -- Carol

I so miss the sea, have no cruise booked in the near future but drift away in my dreams every so often. My husbnad and I work and never seem to get the same days off to do any short trips even. We went ot Minneapolis for Easter to visit the two sons and family but that was one day. I love to travel especilly cruise. We haven"t been to the Atlantic Ocean yet just the Pacific, you must let me know how your cruise is to the carribean...yvonne

Hi Ivonne: where in the Pacific? we did a San Francisco to Alaska once during the month of June and it was so rough - I got very sick - once we docked in Canada, it was fine. We also do some mini escapes on the Monarch of the Seas - 4 day sailings from LA to Ensenada - at least once a yr for that mini trip, but last yr we went twice - to offset our TransAtlantic that was 13 days last Nov.

We are looking forward to our Caribbean cruise the end of this year because we will be with friends who are first time cruisers! I am excited for them. We started cruising the Caribbean in 1988 and have gone about 10 times - last time was 2004 on the Brilliance, which is my favorite ship.

Yes, I dream of cruising all the time- and mostly, I like to recall my past sailings and the nice people we have met all these yrs .... Carol

Yes, I have been looking at the brochures from Viking that are being sent to me.... China sounded interesting - and Europe, too -- except we have been on two TransAtlantic crossings two yrs in a row from Europe to MIami so maybe an Asian trip needs to be done - altho' we go to the Philippines (we are Filipinos born in the USA) every yr we have not done a tour in China - Japan and Hong Kong, yes - but not China - so I have been reading and keeping my brochures form Viking - I am sure other River Cruise Co.'s are just as interesting.

We are trying to fulfill our Diamond Plus status on RCCL and just a couple more cruises to go for that so lots of things to consider and work towards. Carol

In 05 we did a 15 day cruise to Hawaii[our first] and last year we went to the Mexican Riviera for 11 days. I too love to talk about past cruises but most people don't care. I would love to go back to Hawaii, that is most likely next year. It was an amazing cruise there wasn't 30 seconds I didn't love, even one day of rough seas I just took a dramamine and I was fine. Don't do alot of water things even though I live on Lake Superior I never go out on the lake any more huge temp. difference between the lake and the south Pacific:cool:

We have not sailed to Hawaii yet. We try to go there every yr but we fly in and stay in Waikiki, except two yrs ago we stayed at the Makaha area and drove every day to Waikiki - It would be interesting to take a cruise, maybe someday but for now I think I will go to Maui and the Big Island as a land trip once more and then consider a cruise. We like being on the islands morning,noon, & night. It would be convenient to leave from San Diego and do a round trip from there to Hawaii and back. We live east of San Francisco so it'll be an 8 or 9 hr drive to San Diego but that's ok, we like making stops along the way. I am glad you loved your cruise Yvonne - Hawaii is beautiful - I love the food, the flowers, the music, the people, and islands - I hate the traffic! ha! ha! Since we are Filipinos we blend in - we go to local places and eat at local hangouts - it's great! We love being there during the months of Nov, Jan, Feb - being on the beach and enjoying the warm weather - & NOT being in the winter weather of the east bay!

I get sea sick too so everyday during all my time at sea, I take Bonine - I used to take DRamamine but I switched and found Bonine more effective for me. It's an automatic thing - I take one before I fly and one daily during our cruise.

I, too, enjoy talking about my cruises but at work, only a couple have gone and those who haven't don't like hearing about it - I know you know what I mean - like we are from a different planet but I guess it's cuz THEY haven't been on a cruise and feel left out - so I just don't say anything, unless they ask- but for those who cruise a lot, too, we compare and talk about the islands we have visited and the different ships.

That's why I enjoy these boards so much - everyone knows what we are talking about re: cruises, ships, destinations, etc.

Carol

I loved the sea days so much on the Hawaiian cruise I didn"t care if we ever came to an island. I love sea days. When you get to the Islands, you wake to a different island every morning it is so wonderful to come back to the ship everynight for a sail away party every evening. I loved it all. We sailed out of San Fran last Nov. for the Mexican Riviera, what a beautiful city, Duluth is built on a hill also and they call us the San Francisco of the north. We sure enjoyed looking up the hills there and we have a huge lake at the foot of our hills also so it was alot like being home only smaller and warmer. I had a heart attack the week before our Hawaiian cruise but I felt great after they put another stent in so I went against Dr. orders but it was so good for me I rested more than if I was home and the room attendent unpacked my luggage and steamed my clothes for me it was wonderful They are sure helpful and kind on those ships well, Have a nice day , talk soon , Yvonne

HI Yvonne: I am glad you were able to enjoy and rest during your cruise after your heart attack.... and also continuing to take it easy now. Yes, a cruise can be as relaxing as you want or need, or as hectic as you want. I like to take naps - I also watch TV, as I don't have much time here at home for television. I read - and just plain slow down and enjoy everything - the atmosphere of the ship and sea.

What cruise line were you on for your Hawaiian cruise?

It used to take us 45 min. to get from our where we live to the City - now with all the traffic and road construction going on, we allow 1-1/2 hrs!! during appts or drives to the airport to catch a flight, we leave our house 3 hrs before the time we need to be in SF - it's hectic out there!

Carol

Good morning, we were on Princess for both cruises, I really like the staff and the fact it is an older crowd usually both cruisses ther were very few kids and party animals, I see enough of them at the bar I work, nice to get away from that crowd and enjoy a more mature passenger. The last cruise they made mention it was 60% Californians most from the Bay area, I suppose because it is so close to home and they don't have to fly anywhere.. Have a great day.... Yvonne

Hi Yvonne:

You are right, most Californians would rather cruise from the coast to avoid a plane ride- it's gorgeous sailing under the Golden Gate. We sailed under the GG when we went to Alaska once - we also sailed with friends on the sail boat - it was fun but it got alittle rough as the boat would do a roller coaster type ride and those of us on one side would be looking at the heads of the others on the opposite side.

Our Alaska trip was on a Princess ship - it was our one and only Princess and it was nice - no rough & energetic kids - older crowd - in fact, DH and I were in our middle 40's at that time (I am 57 now) and the other passengers thought we were newlyweds cuz we were about one out of 3 couples who were not in the late 70's /80's crowd. Of course I don't think they are old either but when you are mid 40's and they are 30-40 yrs older, then they are in the "older" category.

I like the laundry room on Princess - altho' RCCL has laundry service that is affordable and they do a very good job too - we just don't send out unmentionables!

I have never been to MInn. so I have no concept of what it's like - someday we can travel all 50 states - for now, I can say I have done some trips along the west coast and east coast - LA, SC, only Savannah on GA and Miami just as a stopover during a cruise.

Have a nice weekend - the weather is chilly here but comfortable - better than super hot. I have a party to go to tomorrow - a simple one, my friend's mom's 80th birthday -a surprise - Dottie looks great! she looks like she is in her late 60's -

Carol

this thread is great.....this is the first time in several years that we haven't had a cruise booked....looking at Antarctica for 2008/2009 and those prices are just now coming out! sure does feel odd not coming to cruise critic first thing when i get home every night....but now i can check on this thread!

Beverly

this thread is great.....this is the first time in several years that we haven't had a cruise booked....looking at Antarctica for 2008/2009 and those prices are just now coming out! sure does feel odd not coming to cruise critic first thing when i get home every night....but now i can check on this thread!

Beverly

Hi Beverly:

I see where you have been on the Sovereign and Explorer! all the RCCL ships are favorites of mine! Welcome to this thread! Yes, when I don't have a cruise in the planning - I feel lost too - luckily we are booked on the Explorer for this Nov but after that, nothing, unless we can come up with one while on board and take advantage of the on board credits.

Carol

ok...so i am helping my husband get ready for his upcoming adventure trip to Venezuela...and I can't stand it, I am going to have to book a trip soon! thinking maybe over thanksgiving...ideally i would go over christmas but somehow my boss gets those days off and no one else can! but i don't know where i want to go! maybe i will look at some websites tonight!

Beverly

ok...so i am helping my husband get ready for his upcoming adventure trip to Venezuela...and I can't stand it, I am going to have to book a trip soon! thinking maybe over thanksgiving...ideally i would go over christmas but somehow my boss gets those days off and no one else can! but i don't know where i want to go! maybe i will look at some websites tonight!

Beverly

You didn't want to go ? or is a guy thing? My hubby goes to the PHilippines once a yr to visit his 90 yr old dad and normally I go - we are Filipinos, I was born in CA -- but this yr I just didn't feel like going - it was an adventure for him too, going without me!! cuz he was bored!! hee hee!

Carol

it's more of a guy thing, and just not an area I am interested in visiting.....after the jungle he will spend a few days at the beach, and, although I love cruising, I am just not a beach person!

thinking about something over Thanksgiving...wish there was a port near us that did something other than western caribbean....oh well, may just have to settle for that this year!

Beverly

Hi all welcome aboard all yee new commers, sorry I have been so busy at work I just crash and burn when I get home at night [my bad] I want to do the Hawaii cruise again and the Mexican Riviera also was great, My husband doesn't want to go to the Atlantic for some reason?????? I think I would like the Carrribean. I just want to cruise Yvonne

Hi everyone. I can't stand not to have a cruise booked. Even a small one. I do however want to do Panama and Alaska sometime. Im in Texas so its harder to get to a coast. I planned a longer trip for this September and hoping it doesnt go up in smoke, I didnt get insurance. My Dad who is suddenly having heart issues and Im the only driver, so might not be able to be away so long.

I cant even stand to go on a cruise unless I have one planned next after that, so I guess Im addicted to getting away. Im such a dreamer.

Can I join in, even though I do have deposits on future cruises? Id like to do more adventuresome cruises than Im doing. someday...dreaming.

Hi all welcome aboard all yee new commers, sorry I have been so busy at work I just crash and burn when I get home at night [my bad] I want to do the Hawaii cruise again and the Mexican Riviera also was great, My husband doesn't want to go to the Atlantic for some reason?????? I think I would like the Carrribean. I just want to cruise Yvonne

Hi, bar tender, I lived in Hawaii for about 10 years during my wanderlust years, so that's probably why it's not as high on my list but Id sure go back in a heart beat.

Archived