Orville Taylor or Marva Shaw

beaches3

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

Need honest answers. Should I chose Orville or Marva.Please let me know. I need to figure this out pretty quick. Orville's price is much lower but I don't want to be disappointed also traveling with my 7 year old and want to be safe. Also Marva would not be my tour quide but says the person that wou;d be giving us the tour is good also. Advice needed thanks everyone.

Tracey:eek:

• 1 year later...
Hello Fellow Cruisers,

Need honest answers. Should I chose Orville or Marva.Please let me know. I need to figure this out pretty quick. Orville's price is much lower but I don't want to be disappointed also traveling with my 7 year old and want to be safe. Also Marva would not be my tour quide but says the person that wou;d be giving us the tour is good also. Advice needed thanks everyone.

Tracey:eek:

I want to know if with Orville's low price is his service good?:cool:

I have read many reviews about Marva and her company and looked into using her on a recent trip, in the end I was able to go with friends who were in the area (originally from Jamaica). When I sent Marva the email to let her know that I would not be using her ( I never mentioned I was Jamaican), I did not expect a reply. However her response was professional and as warm as the previous email. I think that speaks a lot for her character. I would use Marva's company as I have never seen anything negative about her or her company, everyone seems to be pleased with their experience.

We used Marva Shaws company last year for a group of 15. We had our own guide, driver and AC bus. They took us to a beach, a shopping area, tour of the town. If was absolutely wonderful. Our guide was with us the whole time. She gave us hints on how to shop, keep the vendors (bad and good) away from us. I would recommend her company.

how do you get in touch with Marva? I emailed her a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back from her.....

what are you planning for Jamaica?:confused:

I got an email from Marva just before Gustav paid a visit. She said she'd get back to me after the storm, but no word yet. Hope all is OK.

• 1 month later...

We toured with Marva Shaw in Ocho Rios about 3 weeks ago and it was wonderful. Dunns River Falls, river tubing and then lunch. She will also take you to the shopping areas if you would like. It was a very enjoyable day and well worth the money. Her son also works with her and they are both very polite and helpful. Her web site is at: www.knowjamaica.com and I highly recommend them.

We toured with Marva Shaw in Ocho Rios about 3 weeks ago and it was wonderful. Dunns River Falls, river tubing and then lunch. She will also take you to the shopping areas if you would like. It was a very enjoyable day and well worth the money. Her son also works with her and they are both very polite and helpful. Her web site is at: www.knowjamaica.com and I highly recommend them.

We are about to use Marva's services. She seems to be very professional in term of communications.

One question though... How big are groups usually?

We are family of three.

I don' see big difference in price

Rates Orville Taylor

Family of 4 persons(including 2 children) will pay $80 dollars

Ocho Rios Tour Destinations:

You Decide:

Dunn River Falls - Entrance Fee $15

Fern Gully - Free

Shopping, Beach

Tubing - $20

Transportation

Adult

For 4 persons and more $20 each

under 4 persons 25 each

Child

12.00 per child 5 years and over

10.00 per child 4 years and yonger

knowjamaica

$60 pp

Dunn's riverfall, River Tubing, Beach all included.

We used Marva last year and she was great and we are using her again in a couple weeks. She actually took care of booking our zipline in Montego Bay. I am taking a gouup of friends with me this year and she has been very accomodating. She is very good about getting back with emails and even called me to confirm this years excursion.

We used Marva last year and she was great and we are using her again in a couple weeks. She actually took care of booking our zipline in Montego Bay. I am taking a gouup of friends with me this year and she has been very accomodating. She is very good about getting back with emails and even called me to confirm this years excursion.

Not with everyone. Her record on replying to e-mails is very patchy if you read back through other threads. I have still to get a single reply to any of mine from weeks ago dispite prompt replies from everyone else.

Not with everyone. Her record on replying to e-mails is very patchy if you read back through other threads. I have still to get a single reply to any of mine from weeks ago dispite prompt replies from everyone else.

You know .. this could be a problem with emails. I didn't get one of her replys, and I know she sent it.

Btw she is reading these forums.. I've seen her posts in archives. :)

You know .. this could be a problem with emails. I didn't get one of her replys, and I know she sent it.

Btw she is reading these forums.. I've seen her posts in archives. :)

Well if it is it's on her side and she should be looking at the problem because it does not look good. I know it's not on my side as everyone else has replied.

Well if it is it's on her side and she should be looking at the problem because it does not look good. I know it's not on my side as everyone else has replied.

Did you check "Spam" folder? Sometimes replies go there by mistake.

Hi, I emailed Marva last night after reading such wonderful things about her and she emailed me back this afternoon. My question to all is, how did everyone enjoy the falls, tubing and Reggae beach? Is it worth the trip? She quotes 60 pp. Does this include transport back to the ship?

Hi, I emailed Marva last night after reading such wonderful things about her and she emailed me back this afternoon. My question to all is, how did everyone enjoy the falls, tubing and Reggae beach? Is it worth the trip? She quotes 60 pp. Does this include transport back to the ship?

We are doing the same excursion.. :)

As I understand we'll be returned to the same place.

I don' see big difference in price

Rates Orville Taylor

Family of 4 persons(including 2 children) will pay $80 dollars

Ocho Rios Tour Destinations:

You Decide:

Dunn River Falls - Entrance Fee $15

Fern Gully - Free

Shopping, Beach

Tubing - $20

Transportation

Adult

For 4 persons and more $20 each

under 4 persons 25 each

Child

12.00 per child 5 years and over

10.00 per child 4 years and yonger

knowjamaica

$60 pp

Dunn's riverfall, River Tubing, Beach all included.

Thanks for the info...Question and I probably know the answer, but on top of that $60 per person, we still need to tip at the end. What is a nice tip if they did a good job.:confused: We are going in Dec. and thinking about doing this, sounds like a fun day...:)

I am not sure about tips on top of paid excursion. Tips are usually for people who work for company.. in this case company is owned by the same people.

Of course if you feel you want to tip you are always welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info...Question and I probably know the answer, but on top of that $60 per person, we still need to tip at the end. What is a nice tip if they did a good job.:confused: We are going in Dec. and thinking about doing this, sounds like a fun day...:)

When are you going in December, how many are traveling with you and are you planning on booking with Marva.

I have been talking with Marva and we will be having her. If I want to add people I can. She said we have to be to her asap after we dock. Has to be within an hour so we can get to Dunn's Falls before the rush.

Orville's rate has drop, its about $15pp for more than 4 persons OR you can get a great deal on large groups. We paid $100 for 10 persons on our last tour with him.

Dunn's RF and Tubing are additional 15 and 20 dollars.

I have been talking with Marva and we will be having her. If I want to add people I can. She said we have to be to her asap after we dock. Has to be within an hour so we can get to Dunn's Falls before the rush.

Have you spoke with Marva this week? I ask because I sent her email almost a week ago and still have not heard back. I've heard so many good things about her, but am getting discouraged by not getting a reply.

:(

Archived