Upset with United

viper88

Here is a timeline of what happened so far...

January. I bought tickets for my family of 5. Great price out of PIT to DFW with a plane change in ORD.

Late March. Received an email let me know there had been changes to my trip. I went into my reservation and noticed 2 of the flights had changed type of aircraft. The first leg of the trip went from a 737 to a CRJ and the last flight went from a CRJ to a 737. On both legs I went in and changed my seat assignment. The leg from PIT to ORD, now on a CRJ, I moved the family into 1 row of 4 seats and 1 in row ahead of us.

Yesterday, I received another email letting me of a small time change in our trip. I went in and wanted to see how full the flights were. I could not beleive my eyes when I saw our seat had been moved on the first leg, PIT to ORD. They moved my 8 year old daughter 3 rows behind us, by herself. So, now we have 1 seat in row 14, 3 in row 15 and 1 in row 18.

When I called United, they said there is nothing they can do because the flight is full. The only reason they gave for moving her seat was the aircraft change. When I told them I had moved my seats, they said "I am sorry. The plane is full and there is nothing they could do." The only hope is the person in row 15 will move to row 18 when we are on the airplane.

They would not let me talk to someone higher than a "floor supervisor". I can't beleive they would move someone's seat without them knowing. I asked them, what happens when they move my 2 year old seat without my knowledge? They said that wouldn't happen, but it already did with my 8 year old. They said they were sorry there is nothing they can do, but they did offer my 8 year old a $50 credit voucher for a future flight. I am pretty sure, I won't be taking any flights on united anytime soon.

Is there anything else I can do? They would not let us change flights without the change fee and fare difference.

Unfortunatly this happens with all airlines. When you check in, explain what has happened and if they can they will move seats...if not, I've never seen anyone say no to moving to keep a family together. It will all work out.

To be fair to United, were your 5 tickets all on the same itinerary? Also sometimes elite elite frequent flyers can pull rank and get their choice seat assignments, even if someone is already in that seat. Also usually buried in the fine print is a clause that says "seat assignments are not guaranteed."

United also did not know that the single traveler in your group was an 8-year old. All they probably knew is that it was a female traveling within your group.

Keep checking the seat maps as seat assignments do change over time as people change itineraries & such. You didn't say when your flight is, but keep checknig as I'm sure seats will open back up and you can re-arrange your family seating block.

If all else fails, do what the previous poster said and inquire at the airport with the gate agent (not the check-in agent) as they sometimes know who's flying solo and would be able to switch up a seat at the gate area prior to boarding. If that fails, you can always ask those around your daugher's seat if they wouldn't mind switching - most times you won't get an argument if someone is flying solo.

Is there anything else I can do? They would not let us change flights without the change fee and fare difference.

Don't worry about the problem. All airlines hold back approximately 30% of the seats on every plane (which explains one reason why it looks like seatmaps are full but the airline still sells seats on the plane) for what they call "airport control". It is for reasons EXACTLY like yours that they do this.

So the advice:

1) Check in online. Note: do NOT check in 24 hours before your FIRST flight, check in 24 hours before the departure time of the LAST flight in your intinerary (ie on the way to your destination, check in the time the flight leaves ORD; on the way home, 24 hours before the flight leaves for PIT). This gives you access to the 30% gate-held seats.

2) If this fails to get you seats together, ask at the check-in counter and/or at the gate. They will do their best to get your family together. Remember: "you draw more flies with honey than vinegar"....

3) If this fails, ask the flight attendants on the plane.

Don't be too upset about this - it's a common airline practice when one flight changes to dump all of your seat assignments. Please don't dump United for this upsetting experience, because you may wind up with the same experience on another airline. Kudos to them for giving you the $50 cert - I've complained for things I think are worse and got bupkis!

Enjoy your cruise!

-bb123

Unfortunatly this happens with all airlines.
Actually, it only happens with airlines that have policies of pre-allocating seats, rather than allocating them all at the time of check-in. Situations like this underline the serious disadvantages of allocating seats to everyone at the time of booking.

I believe that when an airline makes flight changes that affect your itinerary you have the option of accepting those changes ... or cancelling with no penalties assessed.

When AA made changes to our itinerary last year and I called about something unrelated ... the agent pulled up our reservation, verified the new times were okay with us, and very promptly re-ticketed our reservation. I'm guessing the re-ticketing indicated we'd accepted the changes and would be assessed penalties if we made changes.

I accepted their changes. The times were nearly the same, just aircraft changed. When I changed my seats, I thought everything was fine.

I just cant believe they would change our seats. We are all under one resrvation number. I have talked to reservations and customer relantions and they are all following their scripts, but not allowing me to talk to someone who can make changes happen. Someone changed our seats in the first place, I want to know who that is and change it back.

Now I know that isnt going to happen, but I would feel better about flying next month.

I will remember what everyone has said when we deal with the ticket counter in PIT.

(They're) not allowing me to talk to someone who can make changes happen.

I'm not sure that you understand - it's not possible for them to change. The seats are likely all gone that res agents can assign - including supervisors. If they are under airport control, then the only people who can assign seats are at the airport.

Someone changed our seats in the first place, I want to know who that is and change it back.

It wasn't someone - it was the computer. When the flight changes, it dumps all the seat reservations... it's an unfortunate thing, especially given that the airline didn't do a particularly good job informing you of the change.

Enjoy the cruise!

Billybob--you are right about seats being under airport control. However, the person I talked to last night was able to "open" seats and get our family sitting together. Brian was the reservation agent that got things done last night and he got it done in about 10 minutes. He was not a supevisor or a manager, but the person that answered my call.

He did tell me about the computer assigning seats after a flight number change. I can't believe a company would let a computer have this kind of control and no human can make changes, until you check-in at the airport.

Anyways, I am now sitting with my daughter a few row in front of my wife with the other 2 kids. I am glad I don't need to worry about this for the next few weeks.

Thank you all for your help and insight into this problem.

Glad it worked out for you. In the future, United does let you pick seats when you do online check in 24 hours in advance, so that is a good route to have access to more seats. I change all the time at that point.

Billybob--you are right about seats being under airport control. However, the person I talked to last night was able to "open" seats and get our family sitting together. Brian was the reservation agent that got things done last night and he got it done in about 10 minutes. He was not a supevisor or a manager, but the person that answered my call.

He did tell me about the computer assigning seats after a flight number change. I can't believe a company would let a computer have this kind of control and no human can make changes, until you check-in at the airport.

Anyways, I am now sitting with my daughter a few row in front of my wife with the other 2 kids. I am glad I don't need to worry about this for the next few weeks.

Thank you all for your help and insight into this problem.

Just be sure to check all your flight info including seat assignments daily until your flight. These things can change overnight leaving you scurrrying to select seats etc all over again. Great news on getting the seats changed with Brian last night :)

United should have known the child was eight. I used to be a TA and the age of all minors should be noted in the PNR (Passenger name record). You did the right thing by being persistent. An eight year old should never be separated from their parents, imo. Mine would deafen the passenger next to him, by talking his ear off :)

As for the computer having control. It happens. It saves manpower and people are expensive. I know it stinks. I'm not saying I agree with it, just that it happens. When they get close to the flight date, typically all unassigned Elite seats are opened up. It can mean getting a better seat, but many times this is deemed under the airport control.

viper

I fly in and out of Akron Canton airport alot and often am called up by the gate agent and asked to move my seat so a family can sit together. Sometimes I even get a $25 voucher for moving. So don't worry someone will move or the gate agents will help you be seated together. Besides I would rather move than entertain someone else's child! lol

I know people will move, but I would rather not go through that whole process once on board and possible delay the flight. I am happy everything worked out ahead of time.

Now, I wish I could have found the cheap airfare out of CAK, 15 minutes away, rather than PIT, 2 hours away. But to save over 50% on airfare, I will gladly drive 2 hours at $3/gallon to save $$$.

Viper 88 - glad you got your problem solved. It is scary thinking that an 8 year old would have to sit by herself and the rest of the family a few rows away. I'm glad it worked out and that you were persistant.

Ann

P.S. Have a great cruise.

I've seen a family make quite a seen on southwest when they boarded late and the only seats left were middle seats. The mother refused to sit down until some other passengers moved their seats so she could sit with her kids. It made the plane 10 minutes late.

On United you can usually get your seats switched when you check in. The planes are never totally checked in at that point so they should be able to find seats somewhere.

Unfortunatly this happens with all airlines. When you check in, explain what has happened and if they can they will move seats...if not, I've never seen anyone say no to moving to keep a family together. It will all work out.

Exactly what I was going to say.

viper

I fly in and out of Akron Canton airport alot and often am called up by the gate agent and asked to move my seat so a family can sit together. Sometimes I even get a $25 voucher for moving. So don't worry someone will move or the gate agents will help you be seated together. Besides I would rather move than entertain someone else's child! lol

I would hold out for an upgrade to a balcony seat. :)

• 1 month later...

We flew home yesterday on United and spent 1.5 hours on the tarmac in ORD.

We did get the correct seats and my family was not split apart like United tried to do.

We did have a great time on vacation.

Archived