Luggage question

Hi, we're sailing on Sunday on the Freedom. We have one of those tiny inside cabins (deck 6 to be exact). My question is with luggage. I know there is not a lot of storage in these cabins, so I am worried that we are bringing too much and won't have anywhere to store our luggage. Is there somewhere in the room to store the luggage. Right now Hubby and I each have a very full garmet bag and one very, very, very large rolling upright. I honestly could do with a small upright as well. But I am worried that there isn't room to store the luggage or all our stuff. I feel like we've overpacked. Just wondering what the closet/storage situation is like, and how much others pack and bring.

THANKS!!!

Stop worrying about where to store the luggage! Typically it goes under the bed because they are constructed that way. Anything that won't fit there, you can give to the room steward and he will take it to storage and return it to you on the last night. There should also be room in your closet for smaller, carry-on type pieces. Enjoy your cruise!

Most people store their luggage under the bed/s. Most suitcases will fit, but if yours won't, your cabin steward can safely store it for you. He/she will return it to you in time to pack to go home.

Have a wonderful time!!

Wow, I didn't know they could fit under the bed. That is great. I've been stressing out trying to cram everything in and thinking we've packed too much. knowing there is room for more shoes just makes my day~ :D

I've been in cabins where my suitcase didn't fit under the bed. But even in the tiniest, I've always found an odd corner where I could stand the luggage up and use it as a nightstand or an end table.

But it does sound like you might be going overboard with the packing. If you're flying, most airlines restrict you to 50 lbs. per bag and then start charging for the extra weight. That monster rolling upright sounds like it might be too heavy. And if it gets lost, you're screwed. You might want to consider two smaller bags and pack some of both of your stuff in each, just in case.

If you're driving, never mind. ;)

Ditto on the "under the bed" idea. But here's something else worth considering.

I often find that there isn't enough counter-top space in my cabin, so I just stack my luggage up in an out-of-the-way place and use it as a table top. Very handy.

Of course, this won't work if you're in one of the interior cabins aboard the Sovereign-class ships (Sovereign, Majesty, Monarch), becasue at 119 square feet, they don't have even a square inch of extra floor space. But most other cabin sizes (130 square feet and larger) will have a place. Even in the very small cabins you can still stack the luggage in the closet.

The only problem that I could see is if your luggage is the pull on type that is thick. In that case it might not fit BUT it can go into the closet. We always put our luggage under the bed but I do have one pull on that I put in the closet. It works great. You'll be fine.

Also, those TINY inside cabins are also just fine. You'll have enough room and besides you aren't in the room except to sleep (pretty much). Think of all the money you saved that can be spent elsewhere!

Have a great time.;)

I've been in cabins where my suitcase didn't fit under the bed. But even in the tiniest, I've always found an odd corner where I could stand the luggage up and use it as a nightstand or an end table.

But it does sound like you might be going overboard with the packing. If you're flying, most airlines restrict you to 50 lbs. per bag and then start charging for the extra weight. That monster rolling upright sounds like it might be too heavy. And if it gets lost, you're screwed. You might want to consider two smaller bags and pack some of both of your stuff in each, just in case.

I was going to say the same thing. I take a 29" suitcase and a carry on and have more than enough clothing for a week.

definitely aggree with the splitting your luggage up. American A lost 3/4 of our bags on the way home (thank god it was not before the cruise). You never know what will happen. One of the bags that got lost had all of my SO's shoes in it...lol...imagine trying to cruise without any shoes.!!!

we were on the majesty (tiny 119 inside cabin), and had plenty of space for luggage...put one under bed and used the other as table top. The smaller ones went into closet, but used as drawers because majesty had very little drawer space. Still loved the Majesty and will cruise on it again

What in the world are you taking? Your whole closet from home :confused:

I think you will be bringing more than half of the clothes back home clean, never worn. Unless you are packing for Alaska and need jackets and several pair of long pants, you should be able to pack plenty in one garment bag and two medium suitcases for a week long cruise.

I would suggest you go back through all the stuff you've packed, remove a few things (or more than a few things), try to only pack 5 pair of shoes per person (including the ones you wear to board). You don't need a full change of clothes for every single day and you can mix and match for evening wear, the ships have laundry/dry cleaning service if you need something washed.

Get rid of all the things mentioned on the packing lists here, you really don't need to take most of the "junk", only what you cannot live with for a week. After our first 2 cruises, we learned what we could live without, now we cut to the bone when we pack, even when we drive to port. It's just so much more pleasant and easier to not have so much to organize and re-pack. It's a vacation, not a fashion show.

If you are travelling with kids, the rules are different, they get dirtier faster.

Don't forget to cross-pack and pack whatever shoes go with whatever outfit in the same bag! Nothing like formal night and all you have are sneakers or flip flops :)

Archived