Road Report?: KC to Galveston (I-35 to I-45)

We're driving to our cruise in two weeks and thought maybe we could get some advance information about what to expect for road construction delays. I know Kansas' website has a place where I can get the official lists and suspect OK and TX do as well, but listings aren't as good as personal reports. We're driving KC to Wichita 5/18, Wichita to Dallas 5/19, and Dallas to Galveston 5/20 for a 5/20 cruise (then reversing course a week later.)

The last time we drove this for a cruise two years ago we got stuck for 2 hours in a construction back-up in southern OK and we talked to locals later that told us there was a moderately close frontage road that you could bail to and then pick up the interstate at such-and-such interchange. I look for roads to bail to, but sometimes roads local or county and are too small to appear on a state map. So, if you know about a place to expect delays, please also report if you found a faster work-around.

We are taking part of your route from Oklahoma City south. We were in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and I-35 was down to one lane for about five miles before you get to the Texas border. We are leaving on the 18th at 2AM to avoid the Dallas traffic. Look forward to meeting you on the ship.

Daryl

Between the Kansas border and Oklahoma City there is about an 8 mile stretch of I-35 that is narrowed to two lanes near Perry to just past the Stillwater exit.........but traffic flows pretty smooth.......shouldn't slow you down too much.

You shouldn't have any problems on 35 in the DFW area. I'm on the Conquest getting back on the 20th so I can't tell you how the roads will be between DFW and Galveston. One delay near Galveston that I know might affect you is the Galveston causeway. Apparently they've been doing some demo work on the old causeway as well as some other construction around NASA/Clear Lake area on 45. They had been closing the causeway or some lanes of it on Sunday mornings. The last I heard was that most of that work would be completed by this weekend. The work around NASA Road 1 though is on going so we might get a slight delay there.

That's just what I was looking for...keep it coming!

B113- Looking forward to meeting you...

Yeah, purplefrogs, I'm keeping my eye on that one. If some kind of delay, like weather, prevents them from finishing this weekend then they'll push it off for a week or two, since they can't do lane closures on week days. I'm a highway design engineer and so I'm very familiar with and sympathetic to the construction workers, but I still like a smooth vacation like anyone else. Maybe even more now that we travel with a toddler!

My dad is an insurance man for the highway construction companies so he's been trying to get information from his contacts. Unfortunately this isn't a project that his company is covering so the info is harder to come by. I understand about wanting a smooth vacation and travel - we have a 19 month old with us.

We're driving to our cruise in two weeks and thought maybe we could get some advance information about what to expect for road construction delays. I know Kansas' website has a place where I can get the official lists and suspect OK and TX do as well, but listings aren't as good as personal reports. We're driving KC to Wichita 5/18, Wichita to Dallas 5/19, and Dallas to Galveston 5/20 for a 5/20 cruise (then reversing course a week later.) ...

Are you driving to Galveston from Dallas on the Sunday Morning of the cruise? It is at least a 4 hour drive. There is construction in the Conroe, Tx area north of Houston. Also you will have to deal with the Galveston causeway construction. We took a cruise out of Galaveston last Julu. We stayed in Galveston the night before.:rolleyes:

Yes, we're getting up REALLY early to drive from Dallas to Galveston. I'd love to get farther than Dallas, but we travel with toddler so we can only get so far at once. My SIL lives in Dallas, so we will stay there. By getting up before the chickens, we hope to also be up before DD. We'll make much better time if she sleeps through it. We did this itinerary pre-baby and it worked ok, though that time it was b/c we left on a Saturday cruise and we couldn't leave KC until DH got out of school 3:00 on a Friday (can you say, teacher?). Technically, SIL lives in Flower Mound, so the drive is more like 5 hours. But we plan to leave at 6 a.m. or earlier. That's why we're going to Wichita Friday night. We can have two easy days before we have to push DD. Accounting for construction and toddler delays, I think we could be on ship by 1 or 2. That will have to work for us.

When your trip gets closer, have a L010106YA11_prv.gifK at IH-45 Gulf Freeway with the Houston TranStar Cameras:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/c...&rd=IH-45_Gulf

Also, TxDOT's Houston District Real-Time Construction Schedule:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/c...on_report.aspx

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Yes, we're getting up REALLY early to drive from Dallas to Galveston. I'd love to get farther than Dallas, but we travel with toddler so we can only get so far at once. My SIL lives in Dallas, so we will stay there. By getting up before the chickens, we hope to also be up before DD. We'll make much better time if she sleeps through it. We did this itinerary pre-baby and it worked ok, though that time it was b/c we left on a Saturday cruise and we couldn't leave KC until DH got out of school 3:00 on a Friday (can you say, teacher?). Technically, SIL lives in Flower Mound, so the drive is more like 5 hours. But we plan to leave at 6 a.m. or earlier. That's why we're going to Wichita Friday night. We can have two easy days before we have to push DD. Accounting for construction and toddler delays, I think we could be on ship by 1 or 2. That will have to work for us.

I hope you will make ok from Dallas. You will be cutting it close.;)

I am planning to do the same for 5/13 cruise...will leave from Plano area about 5:30 am....all should be fine if causeway is open...if it is not we may leave at midnight and just crash the first sea day. Hope others will keep us informed. Most of those stuck in Causeway delays also had to wait 2-3 hours to get on ship anyway, according to the latest Conquest reviews and it left later than planned on each occasion, like 5:30-6. Of course I want to be there by 1 or 2 myself....

Go to this website and under the travel link, search road conditions. You can search your proposed route. We did this in April when we went to Galveston.

I had also heard that the causeway on I-45 to get to Galveston Island was undergoing renovations but I don't know when or for how long.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. I agree with waiting4acruise, I hope you make it on time.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/

Thanks all!

Tinabrn-

I'd say let me know how it goes, but by the time you're back I hope we're on board!

I may check the construction report from SIL when we get to Flower Mound on Saturday and set the alarm earlier if needed.

Other than the fact that construction delays are longest on weekends, how is normal driving on Sunday morning through Dallas and Houston?

if I can access it I will e mail you from the ship. Dallas is fine on Sunday am...Houston is crowded anytime but usually better on Sunday...IF the causeway is open....fingers,toes etc crossed.

Thanks all!

Other than the fact that construction delays are longest on weekends, how is normal driving on Sunday morning through Dallas and Houston?

I live in Lantana, drive through FM almost everyday. Anyways, unless there is some accident you will have smooth sailing from Flower Mound through Dallas, Ennis, Corsicana and on down south. Of course I would probably leave as early as you possibly can just to be on the safe side. You never know whats going to happen, or if you will need to make an emergency potty break stop, etc.

I just read on the boards that you can get Limo service from Dallas for $59 round trip, has to be booked through a TA from EZCruiseconnection.com. Too late for us this time but I sure will remember next time. However, they don't leave until 7:30 am so our plans to be off early are probably wise. If anyone has ever used them would love to hear about it.

Archived