What is your Perfect Dinner Menu?

sail7seas

Probably something along the lines of one of the best meals I've ever had at Morton's of Chicago. A table side prepared caesar salad, a perfectly aged and prepared Porter House steak, fresh and lightly steamed asparagus, baked potato, and finish with a Grand Marnier souffle. Add a very nice Cabernet to go with the steak and coffee with a splash of Baileys to go with the souffle and I'm good to go..

Hello s7s,

...Well, since you asked, I'll start with a Belini-the drink-then some prawns-a chilled cucumber soup-turkey or dover sole entree-salad-valcano cake- coffee-truffles-the candy-and finally a kaluha and cream. Of course I would never be able to eat all of that. But that is what I would pick. Who should I give my order to?

Pat.-Don't get me started talking about food, I'll talk your ear off.

I forgot the bread and butter.

:)

Beef Welington and Lobster Tails (BIG ones) are our favorites.

Talked to John Mulvany once about a Salmon Wellington - he smiled and said that it was too hard to prepare. I mentioned that it is prepared nearly the same was as Beef Wellington.

Dessert - chocolate volcano cake.

Since you did not limit your question to cruise food, I will tell you my current favorite meals out, and in.

OUT: My wife and I share this one fairly frequently at a French bistro near our home. We begin with appetizers. She orders escargot. I order the house pate (served with mustard and tiny sweet pickles). Then, we each have a caesar salad. The main course is the roast duck for two (it is presented whole before being removed to the kitchen to be split and plated). The duck is served over wild rice with a lite orange sauce on the side. For dessert, we have an warm apple tart, served over a caramel sauce with vanilla ice-cream on top. We have a bottle of Bordeaux with the meal. With dessert, she has a cappuccino and I have an espresso.

If I were to let my imagination run wild, I would only change out the pate and substitute fresh, pan-seared foie gras. (too bad our little bistro doesn't have fresh foie gras)

IN: Our other favorite meal is our regular New Years dinner. We prepare this one ourselves at home. The appetizer is Russian caviar (Osetra). The main course is pound and a quarter or larger cold-water lobster tails that we do in a convection oven, over a bowl of water. We season them with Kosher salt, garlic powder, and paprika; and baste them with melted sweet butter (and serve the tails with more melted butter (this time salted) in warmers on the side). The vegetable varies. This past year it was stir fried Brussel Sprouts that we sliced very thin (think shaved). In recent years, we have been opting for fruit-mousse tarts from our favorite french bakery for dessert. Before that, we had black forest cake from a German bakery we like. Of course, we have at least a couple of bottles of nice French champaign to drink before, during and after the meal.

S7S

Man you are just the question lady today *LOL*

I am enjoying answering them all :)

God this is the toughest though, so much food so little time *LOL*

Hmmmmm

I had this appetizer at Spago in Las Vegas It was a little nest made of deep fried strawed potatos with a slice of sturgeon and salmon topped with this delicious sauce and a dollop of caviar.

Then a nice Ceaser Salad

A 16 oz steak prepared exactly like the one I had at Sparks in NYC.

Asparagus with Hollandaise sauce

Baked potato with sour cream, butter and bacon

and either a Volcano cake or a piece of my moms cheese cake

hmmmm that wasn't as tough as I thought it would be *LOL*

Here goes, I would start with a big bowl of mussels, cooked in garlic and wine with crusty bread for sopping, then a good piece of grilled fish, either sole, halibut or ahi, served with small new potatoes and minted green peas, for dessert, either creme brulee or panna cotta. Finish off with an aged cheddar cheese and digestive biscuits and a glass of tawny port.

Sail, are you asking this because you are inviting us all to Boston for dinner?.....jean :p

Talked to John Mulvany once about a Salmon Wellington - he smiled and said that it was too hard to prepare. I mentioned that it is prepared nearly the same was as Beef Wellington.

Now on the grand scale of a cruise dining room that maybe true but I have prepared both Beef and Salmon Wellington at home (to the great praise of my DW) and find that the prep time is the same. However, do to my Texas upbringing I do prefer eating the beef.

Well darn it, due to the fact this is Pacific time out here, it's only 3:30pm and now I am dreaming of all these wonderful delights........without a meal in sight:eek:

Okay, my perfect on board meal would be Oysters Rockefeller for the appetizer, the seasonal salad with cranberries and blue cheese served in the Pinnacle, the fabulous squash soup that was made by the Pinnacle's Chef on the Ryndam, Rack of Lamb for the entree with asparagus or creamed spinach, and for dessert the chocolate Volcano cake. Top that off with a fine Merlot or Pinot and I would be a happy camper!!!!!:cool:

I would start off with bacon wrapped scallops, tossed salad, Lobster (whole, alright I like the fight), King Crab legs then for dessert Cherries Jubilee. I'd like a glass of white wine with it and some Irish Coffee after. :D :D (Then some Alka Selzer, please, my stomach exploded!! :eek: )

Wish I could tell you I prepared us a feast, but....it was a perfect South Beach menu. ;)

Tossed romaine lettuce salad with popcorn tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, black olives, cucumbers, julienne sliced red peppers with a balsamic olive oil vinegarette.

Broiled skinless chicken basted w/ sherry wine.

Baked sweet potato

Steamed broccoli (DH had corn on the cob also)

For dessert: Bowl of blueberries and sliced strawberries

[and then we went for our walk after dinner......2.25 miles tonight]

One of my favorite menus would include:

French onion soup (oozing perfectly melted cheese on top)

Tableside tossed caesar salad

Beef Wellington cooked perfectly medium rare

Chocolate Volcano Cake

Captain's coffee

(I love the menu but would never eat it these days.....I remember when I would have though ....:D )

If I really were going to throw all caution to the wind.......

Escargot dripping in garlic butter (with french bread to sop it all up)

Spinach Salad w/ pine nuts and blue cheese

Rib eye steak....medium rare, please

Crispy slivers of fried onions a la Ruth's Chris style

Creamy cheesecake

Double espresso

Or........

I could go on and on......

Okay, first I'd start with a lovely champagne cocktail. Then for dinner I would order escargots in garlic butter, fresh rolls, chilled strawberry soup, rack of lamb, steamed asparagus. Dessert would be Chocolate Volcano Cake, and Amarula Creme Liquer and coffee. All of this would be CALORIE FREE!!!!! Thanks for asking!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have put this in a ship's menu format and have also shown my favorite restaurants that I had enjoyed their wonderful creations. Sadly most of the restaurants are no longer open. :( As I am now on the Atkins diet, this is pure torture!

Appetizers

Sonoma Foie Gras Braised (Le Papillon, San Jose, CA)

Peeled Cherry Tomatoes Stuffed With Veal and Sauce (Ernies, S.F., CA)

Baby Quail Stuffed With Pate Foie Gras (L’Etoile, S.F.,CA)

Lobster in Macaroni (Fleur de Lys, S.F., CA)

Assorted Pates – Choice of Fish or Meat (Le Francais, Wheeling, IL)

Soups

French Onion (L’Etoile, S.F., CA)

Soup du Jour (Le Papillon, San Jose, CA)

Lobster Bisque en Croute (La Province, Redwood City, CA)

Salads

Caesar Salad (L’Etoile, S.F., CA)

Warm Spinach Salad With Honey (Royal Sonesta, N.O., LA)

Shrimp Louie (Scomas, S.F., CA)

Entrees

Duck L’ Orange With Fresh Strawberries (Ernies, S.F., CA)

Saddle of Lamb (L’Etoile, S.F., CA)

Lobster in Chemise (Blue Fox, S.F., CA)

Beef Wellington (Ernies, S.F., CA)

Dover Sole (Blue Fox, S.F., CA)

Desserts

Apple Tart (L’Etoile, S.F., CA)

Souffle (Le Francais, Wheeling, IL)

Crepes With Strawberries and Ice Cream (Ernies, S.F., CA)

Oh my gosh Dave, being a SF raised girl, you are killing me!!!!!:eek:

I too am dieting, doctor recommended South Beach so we are giving it a go!

Thank goodness the food here in the Valley doesn't compare to that!!!:cool:

P.S. S7S- I want to come to your house for dinner, that menu ala South Beach sounded wonderful!!!!

I don't have alot of time to describe everything but:

1) Escargots in garlic butter.

2) Some kind of Salad with different greens (spinach a must)

3) Lobster bisque or French onion soup (or maybe one of Celebrity's chilled fruit soup)

4) Lobster tail ...and other kinds of sea food (no side dish)

5) Desert? I don't think I will be able to eat it after everything written above. :D

Archived