What to do and see in Alaska?

ctpow34

What are the recommended activities for Alaska? This will be my first time there .

I am not sure if it is better to book through the cruise line or on my own. I am experineced cruiser so don't have a problem booking on my own.

I want to get the best out this gorgeous trip and try to save some cash as well.

On a May/June back to back cruise Coral Princess from Vancouver to Anchorage, 2 days in Anchorage and Dawn Princess back to Vancouver

There are lots of recommended excursions. The thing I suggest is to read, read, read--whatever you can find. Narrow your choices to the things that appeal to you and then post questions about them.

We hiked, kayaked, and snorkled on our cruise last summer. We did one excursion through the cruise line and everything else on our own. Doing things independently will give you a better value. A lot of the cruise line excursions have way too many people and cost more than doing it on your own will.

Since you're on Princess, you can book ahead through the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website. You can cancel bookings if you decide to do something else. You usually have until 24 hours before to cancel one--but really should do it as soon as you know you're not going so that someone else can have your spot, especially if it's a sold-out one.

Juneau twice.. check out Orca Enterprises' whale watching tour... Capt Larry doesn't take near as many as cruise line tours and it's a wonderful trip.. lots of folks here recommend. I would use the personalizer to see what interests you and then go to some of the sites for the individual towns (www.visit-ketchikan.com; www.traveljuneau.com; www.sitka.org, www.skagway.org) and see what you might like to do on your own (sorry no true links there, I'm not at my regular PC)...

In Ketchikan it's easy to pick up something when you get there.. maybe on one leg figure out what to do on the next? Kayaking is great there. In Juneau the whalewatching and glacier copter landings. In Skagway the White Pass RR is much much less hassle booked through the ship (as you will find out if you try to do otherwise) and they pull the train up to the dock! There are also some good opportunities to cycle, rent a car etc. into the Yukon. One tour that's great is Glacier Point Wilderness.. it's pricey but if you are outdoors type you might want to consider..

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join CC's "Alaska Live in 2005 Adventure"..you'll have a "whale" of a good time!</font>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font SIZE="1">Days Till Royal Hounds Cruise on Mariner of the Seas...!</font>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<font SIZE="1">Days Till Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa</font>

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font>

Archived