Cayman Islands Turns ships away

asburyfamily

Just saw a article on cnn travel section about Cayman islands dening access to cruise ships who use anchors. Anyone have any more info on this I am going on Conquest soon and have booked Cayman Island shore tour. :D Thankyou in advance Cruise Critic boards have the best up to date info.

Iv seen quite a few threads now on this. Since cruise ships do not anchor, it doesnt apply and the particular harbor in the article is not the usual harbor that cruise ships go into.

Also, no ships, at least not cruise ships have been turned away. At least not from the news on the articles that were posted the last two weeks.

Let's nip this rumor in the bud :(

I think the thread up on RCI cruise line someone said they think the ships stay in place with thrusters, however they do it, they dont anchor. Thats good enough for me.

I was there in October and 6 ships were there including that monster Freedom of the Seas and my ship, Caribbean Princess, was also a pretty big ship.

WAY too many people there in port-you could hardly move-I WISH some ships had been turned away. I do wish there was a limit to how many allowed to be there. I felt 6 ships and two fo them holding over 3000 people was just too many people.

So yes anchors are still being used.

But not in Spotts Bay, the backup cruise ship harbor where anchors are not allowed. Anchors are still allowed in Georgetown harbor, the usual cruise ship destination...and where I'm guessing your picture was taken. :)

Iv seen quite a few threads now on this. Since cruise ships do not anchor, it doesnt apply and the particular harbor in the article is not the usual harbor that cruise ships go into.

I think the thread up on RCI cruise line someone said they think the ships stay in place with thrusters, however they do it, they dont anchor. Thats good enough for me.

We've been on two ships...the Triumph and Zuiderdam and both had anchors. In fact, I've not seen a cruise ship that doesn't have an anchor.

But the area they are talking about is their secondary tendering area. When we were there visiting the island, a storm blew in...and because the waters were so rough in George Town, they had a couple of the ships anchor over in Spotts. But not all the ships did this, some didn't visit the island that day.

I was there in October and 6 ships were there including that monster Freedom of the Seas and my ship, Caribbean Princess, was also a pretty big ship.

WAY too many people there in port-you could hardly move-I WISH some ships had been turned away. I do wish there was a limit to how many allowed to be there. I felt 6 ships and two fo them holding over 3000 people was just too many people.

When we were there for a visit, there were two days that there were 9 ships. It was way too many people! We tried to scoot to the other side of the island (early) on those days.

As much as we love Grand Cayman, and we love visiting there...I think they are ruining the place by allowing so many cruise ships in port. The first time we visited, we were on a ship, and there were only 2 ships in port that day, and I thought it was a bit crowded. It's just a zoo when there are more than a few ships in port.

I've read somewhere recently that they only allow 9500 passengers from cruise ships each day. Which I don't understand. There were days that there were potentially 20,000 or more passengers (not including the crew) who could have gotten off the ships. I am not sure what sort of math calculations they are using, but it doesn't add up. Unless they calculate that only a certain percentage will get off the ships and that's where their numbers come from.

We made the mistake of driving too close to George Town on a busy day. Never again!

Archived