White Pass and Yukon Railway in Skagway

galinkazoo

Booking with the ship, the train pulls right up to the ship if you're at the Railway Dock, and closer to it if you're at the other 2 docks. Booking independently, you save ten bucks and walk a couple of blocks to the depot.

Murray

On another post, I explained what happened on my Alaskan cruise last May. There were 3 ships in port at the same time. The RR sold out all their tickets to the cruise lines in blocks. Passengers who waited to buy their's at the dock missed out.

Roz

If you really want to do this tour, book it through the cruise line.. sometime the only tickets left (if you lie and say you are not a cruise pax) are for afternoon departures and this may or may not be too late depending on port time. IMHO it is definitely worth $10 for the convenience. Get a seat on left side of the car.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join CC's "Alaska Live in 2005 Adventure"..you'll have a "whale" of a good time!</font>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font SIZE="1">Days Till Royal Hounds Cruise on Mariner of the Seas...!</font>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<font SIZE="1">Days Till Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa</font>

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font>

Definitely sit on the left side of the train. You get better views that way. Of course, better access to picture taking, etc.

Enjoy yourself. We absolutely love the WPYRR!

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)

7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)

10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

Every one gets to see the same views. When you get to the top, you change sides with the passengers across the aisle from you. But on the way up there is continuous narration pointing put interesting sights. There is hardly any going back down, so you don't know when to be watching for particular sights or what you are seeing.

We went in the afternoon. I have read that sometimes the mists prevent you from seeing much in the morning.

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)

Carnival Inspiration

we were on a train where they had complete and different commentary both going and coming, but on the way back down 3 of the 6 of us fell asleep icon_wink.gif so it's a good thing we saw the sights on the way up.

I really enjoyed standing outside the car and thanks to the commentary caught some things going down that I missed going up.

I called the WPR depot the other day...and the lady told me that even though they do recommend you make reservations...it really depends on the time of year you are going. I'm going in mid May. During this time she said (although she couldn't guarantee it) that the train doesn't usually fill up during that time frame.

I think I'm going to wait and buy my tickets when we get there. This way if it's a really crappy day we won't waste 89.00pp and not see much. Plus I have a small advantage. We are going on a back to back cruise that puts us in Skagway twice. icon_smile.gif

If I were going mid June to mid August I would definatly make reservations. Especially if this is something you don't want to miss!

CaribbeanCrazy

tn_14.gif

We're doing the bus ride out and the train back, so I assume that means we should sit on the right side on the train back to the ship. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Radiance to Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;14;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;4;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

RCI has the tour. We're on the Radiance of the Seas and it's one of the tours they have listed on their website. We signed up for that and the 4 glacier helicopter out of Juneau.

Sounds like all the lines have pretty much the same tours.

We're planning on just walking around Ketchikan. My wife found out there's a Bernard K. Passman black coral shop there. Hope she doesn't add too much to her collection.

Also, friends of ours are on the Serenade 2 weeks after us. We're supposed to leave them a message at the Red Onion in Skagway.

Radiance to Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;14;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;4;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived