Getting to Southampton from London

My husband and I are taking the British Isles cruise next July out of Southampton. We are doing our own airfare and will stay 3 nights precruise in London. Thanks to this board I saw somewhere that Princess had a transfer from Victoria station so I booked that for now. My question is if there is a better way to get there? Seems like I read somewhere there was a bus and then a taxi, but I know I don't want to use 2 different modes of transportation. The easier the better, preferably with hotel pick up. I've been doing research but it would be nice if someone that's done it has any recommendations. Thanks, Brenda

We just returned from our England-European Cruise-England trip. Here's what we did, but we were deliberately trying to economize on the land portions of the trip. It worked out very well, and we also weren't inconvenienced.

If you can roll your luggage yourself and don't have a lot of extra bags, then I suggest using National Express. We were able to go Heathrow-Victoria Coach Station for about $14 US for two people, one over-60. It was efficient, easy, and convenient.

Our hotel was about 4 blocks from our hotel, the Luna and Simone, which I HIGHLY recommend if you're looking for a hotel in the Victoria area that isn't expensive. The hotel had transfers available, also, from Heathrow, that looked reasonable (for London) at around 75 GBP for the car. (That's $150!).

Then we just went back to the Victoria Coach Station the morning of our cruise out of Southampton, took another National Express bus. That was also super inexpensive, because we got the Funfare price for a whopping equivalent of $4 US. (NOT a typo; four dollars London-Southampton). Very comfy ride, then took a taxi to the pier. The taxis run continously back and forth on cruise day, and cost about 5 GBP.

Thanks for your input Peggy. Sounds like you made out well, but I am trying to avoid the extra step of the taxi. We really won't have that much luggage, just one big bag each and a couple of carry ons, but I want to avoid lugging them as much as possible. I checked out the National Express and the price is definitely reasonable (although I didn't get the $4 fare!) so it is something to think about. Something cheap that would take us from our hotel to the ship is probably asking for too much huh?

We had thought about using this service below, when we land at the airport. I thought it would be nice to be met at the airport and be brought right to the hotel. I've been exploring this site but don't see exactly what I am looking for to get to the docks.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_hotelink_bus.htm

Yes I am looking at hotels in the Victoria Station area, and agree the Luna and Simone sounds wonderful. I would book it in a minute except that it doesn't have air conditioning or an elevator. Air conditioning is rare in London so I may have to take my chances on that anyway. If I decide to skip the air conditioning, then I suppose I could write and ask if they can guarantee me a 1st floor room. I have a bad knee and avoid stairs whenever possible. My knee gets tired and weak just walking around so I can't imagine facing a flight of stairs after walking around London. It hurts to even think about, and I also have a 12 day cruise to get through. I am also looking at the Comfort Inn at Victoria although I don't think that has air either. The Hisperia Victoria has air so that is an option. Seems like I had a few others in mind as well. I've bookmarked a lot of sites. In the end we won't be in the room too much so I don't really care about size, but air conditioning and an elevator seem important at this moment.

I saved a ton of money using *****.com, enough to cover our hotel expenses so that helps. But I am worried about the exchange rate. It is shocking to think of how much the hotels are for what you get. I wonder if our dollar will ever improve over there!

Brenda

Thanks for your input Peggy. Sounds like you made out well, but I am trying to avoid the extra step of the taxi. We really won't have that much luggage, just one big bag each and a couple of carry ons, but I want to avoid lugging them as much as possible. I checked out the National Express and the price is definitely reasonable (although I didn't get the $4 fare!) so it is something to think about. Something cheap that would take us from our hotel to the ship is probably asking for too much huh?

We had thought about using this service below, when we land at the airport. I thought it would be nice to be met at the airport and be brought right to the hotel. I've been exploring this site but don't see exactly what I am looking for to get to the docks.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_hotelink_bus.htm

Yes I am looking at hotels in the Victoria Station area, and agree the Luna and Simone sounds wonderful. I would book it in a minute except that it doesn't have air conditioning or an elevator. Air conditioning is rare in London so I may have to take my chances on that anyway. If I decide to skip the air conditioning, then I suppose I could write and ask if they can guarantee me a 1st floor room. I have a bad knee and avoid stairs whenever possible. My knee gets tired and weak just walking around so I can't imagine facing a flight of stairs after walking around London. It hurts to even think about, and I also have a 12 day cruise to get through. I am also looking at the Comfort Inn at Victoria although I don't think that has air either. The Hisperia Victoria has air so that is an option. Seems like I had a few others in mind as well. I've bookmarked a lot of sites. In the end we won't be in the room too much so I don't really care about size, but air conditioning and an elevator seem important at this moment.

I saved a ton of money using *****.com, enough to cover our hotel expenses so that helps. But I am worried about the exchange rate. It is shocking to think of how much the hotels are for what you get. I wonder if our dollar will ever improve over there!

Brenda

Brenda, we also requested a ground floor room, because my husband just had achilles tendon surgery last year, and is still in physical therapy. They had it all set up for us. You can email the hotel directly with your request.

Our check-in took about 45 seconds!! The hotel can arrange transfer from the airport directly to the hotel, also. Their rates were very reasonable, too. We used the same sight you mentioned above for our first trip into London a few years ago, and they were very efficient. Book the "shared" transpo: it's cheaper, but we ended up with only ourselves in the car.

But, email Luna and Simone and see if their transport will also meet you right in the arrivals hall (it's just the large room in the terminal as you come out to go to the taxi's, bus, etc).

If a/c is the only concern, then I REALLY recommend you contact Luna and Simone. It's an absolute bargain for 80GBP per night, including breakfast, and you will not find better service or a cleaner hotel.

Cheap from the hotel to the ship is National Express again. It's 4 blocks from the Luna and Simone to/from the coach station, so that taxi ride wouldn't be very expensive if you don't want to walk it.

If your reference about not wanting to take the taxi is in regards to Southampton, there is no other way to get to the pier. It's not walkable, and the fare is cheap for 5 GBP for two people.

When you look at National Express, look on the home page for the "funfare" link. They have them on various buses at different times of the day. Allow, 2 hours after arriving in Heathrow for your bus. You have to go through Customs, baggage collection, then Immigration, then the walk to the Coach Station (about 10 minutes).

Now, for another wrinkle. Look at megabus.com. They have competive prices for 1 - 2 GBP fares, and Victoria-Southampton is one of their routes, also. They are DIRECTLY across the street from Victoria Rail/Tube station, so it's all in the same exact 2 block radius (National Express - Big Bus - Victoria Rail/Tube), and then 4 blocks to the Luna.

If your reference about not wanting to take the taxi is in regards to Southampton, there is no other way to get to the pier. It's not walkable, and the fare is cheap for 5 GBP for two people.

I'm assuming the Princess transfer bus will drop us at the pier, that's what I meant. If I'm going to make alternate arrangements, I'd want to be dropped at the ship.

Thanks for all the other info as well, looks like my research is just beginning, but you've been a huge help getting me started. Brenda

Yes, the Princess transfer would take you to the pier. We opted not to use Celebrity's transfers because they were outrageously expensive, and by bus. So, to us a bus is a bus is a bus.

The taxi to the pier is super easy from the bus terminal. Actually it's a litle one room lobby you walk through, and then stand for a while at the sidewalk curb until the next taxi rolls up. We took the 9:30 AM bus from Victoria, and we were on the ship around 1 PM, dropped our hand luggage in the cabin and went up to the buffet for lunch. This includes a not so speedy check-in at the pier. So, bus station in London to lunch was 3.5 hours. Just to give you an idea of the time you'll need.

You can get the train from Waterloo to Southampton and then pick up a cab. Checkout Megatrain.com/uk, which allows you to book cheap e-tickets in advance on a few specific trains - they set aside one of the train coaches for people with Megatrain tickets, but its still the normal London to Southampton service and the seats are no different. (They probably keep you separate from the other travellers so that you don't tell them how little you paid!!!)

You can also buy coach tickets from them as well.

You can get the train from Waterloo to Southampton and then pick up a cab. Checkout Megatrain.com/uk, which allows you to book cheap e-tickets in advance on a few specific trains - they set aside one of the train coaches for people with Megatrain tickets, but its still the normal London to Southampton service and the seats are no different. (They probably keep you separate from the other travellers so that you don't tell them how little you paid!!!)

You can also buy coach tickets from them as well.

Thanks, I bookmarked the site. I guess I will have plenty of options by the time it rolls around. I wish we were going this year! Brenda

Megabus and megatrain compete with National Express with the same discount fares. National Express has the "funfares". Megabus, by the way is located directly across the street from the Victoria Rail and Tube Station, and kitty-corner to the National Express Victoria Central bus station.

I'd decide based on where you are staying in London. Waterloo station for the Megatrain, and Victoria for Megabus and National Express. I couldn't find the cheap fare on Megabus for our Victoria London-Southampton trip, so I took the National Express funfare instead for 1 GBP per person.

I'd decide based on where you are staying in London. Waterloo station for the Megatrain, and Victoria for Megabus and National Express.

Thanks again. Seems like most of the hotels I have considered are close to Victoria Station. Sounds like a good location overall. I guess there is no cheap alternative to the Princess transfer unless we do the bus/taxi as you've both suggested. I will probably leave that up to my husband. It doesn't sound that complicated, just a matter of two modes of transportation rather than one. Brenda

Last week I was doing a lot of research on traveling from London (Kensington area) to Southampton. We'll be going as a party of 6 with luggage.

The train. We'd need to get from the hotel to the Waterloo train station (taxi or the tube, probably would use taxi). The train to Southampton was approximately $40 each (one way), and then we'd need another taxi to the pier.

A bus. Again, we'll need to use a taxi or the tube to get to the Victoria coach station. Thanks to the funfare, 6 of us will get to Southampton for $10 each, then a taxi to the pier.

Private car. I checked with several private car carriers, and got rates back of around $340 for a one way trip for 6 people. 2 people would probably be about $60 less. This option would be from hotel to pier, so no need for any taxi rides on either end. Definitely the most convenient option, but the most expensive. The carriers I got quotes from included: http://www.london-transfers.com, www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk, http://www.limo.co.uk, and http://www.fcmbs.com

We decided to go with the National Express coach option, leaving us with more money to play with later on the trip. On the way back, since we're not flying out till the next day, and there will only be 4 people we need to transport at that time, we opted to rent a car from Southampton and drop it off at Gatwick. This will allow us the freedom to tour the areas south of London before heading back home.

Last week I was doing a lot of research on traveling from London (Kensington area) to Southampton. We'll be going as a party of 6 with luggage.

The train. We'd need to get from the hotel to the Waterloo train station (taxi or the tube, probably would use taxi). The train to Southampton was approximately $40 each (one way), and then we'd need another taxi to the pier.

A bus. Again, we'll need to use a taxi or the tube to get to the Victoria coach station. Thanks to the funfare, 6 of us will get to Southampton for $10 each, then a taxi to the pier.

Private car. I checked with several private car carriers, and got rates back of around $340 for a one way trip for 6 people. 2 people would probably be about $60 less. This option would be from hotel to pier, so no need for any taxi rides on either end. Definitely the most convenient option, but the most expensive. The carriers I got quotes from included: http://www.london-transfers.com, www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk, http://www.limo.co.uk, and http://www.fcmbs.com

We decided to go with the National Express coach option, leaving us with more money to play with later on the trip. On the way back, since we're not flying out till the next day, and there will only be 4 people we need to transport at that time, we opted to rent a car from Southampton and drop it off at Gatwick. This will allow us the freedom to tour the areas south of London before heading back home.

You will find National Express comfortable, too. We were on three of their buses and very pleased with the service.

The fare from the Southampton bus terminal to the pier is about 5GBP for two people. Some of the taxis hold more people, so you might be able to keep together, but plan on not having the whole group of 6 in one car. Quick ride, too.

We decided to go with the National Express coach option, leaving us with more money to play with later on the trip.

A private car would be wonderful wouldn't it? But certainly not worth the money. The bus seems to be the best option. I have a friend that lives in England and she said the National Bus Service is very reliable. However she did caution me that Victoria Station is not the safest of places in London. She said there are plenty of signs posted to watch your belongings because a lot of pick pockets hang out there. I thought I'd mention it so anyone reading this can go prepared. My husband always carries his wallet in his front pocket. That would certainly put a damper on your vacation that's for sure! Brenda

If I decide to skip the air conditioning, then I suppose I could write and ask if they can guarantee me a 1st floor room.
Brenda, we also requested a ground floor room,

Brenda,

I just wanted to make sure you picked up from Peggy's reply that you should ask for a ground floor room in the UK - the first floor is up that flight of stairs :)

Karen

Adagia, here's a little more information on using National Express now that you've decided on it:

At the Victoria Coach Station there are waiting areas near the gate (door) where you exit to board your bus. It's a lot like a mini airport terminal, only they have buses instead of airplanes. If you get on the bus early, then you can sit up near the front, and then get off sooner, and go out to find the taxi at the sidewalk outside the front of the bus terminal in Southampton. That way you avoid any line in case the whole bus is cruise pax.

At the coach station, start lining up at the door with your luggage about 15 - 20 minutes before the bus leaves. They start boarding about 10 minutes before the bus leaves, and they are very efficient and speedy about it.

Remember the Victoria COACH Station is NOT the Victoria TRAIN AND TUBE Station; it's about a block away. You can't miss it; huge sign on it.

Regarding safety in the Victoria Train/Tube Station: we were in and out of it multiple times a day, and I just went into automatic "crowded place/air terminal" mode. That means I became more aware of whatever we were carrying. Of course, as I've posted all over these boards, DH does not carry his wallet when we travel; I carry passports, money, and credit cards in my neck purse under my clothes. That way if we get distracted, we don't have to worry about pockets. I just keep whatever bag or backpack we have touching one of our bodies at all times. It keeps you aware of it if it's moved. Just my routine.

Regarding safety in the Victoria Train/Tube Station: we were in and out of it multiple times a day, and I just went into automatic "crowded place/air terminal" mode. That means I became more aware of whatever we were carrying. Of course, as I've posted all over these boards, DH does not carry his wallet when we travel; I carry passports, money, and credit cards in my neck purse under my clothes. That way if we get distracted, we don't have to worry about pockets. I just keep whatever bag or backpack we have touching one of our bodies at all times. It keeps you aware of it if it's moved. Just my routine.
I should say that there's nothing special about Victoria in this respect. There are pickpockets operating anywhere in London that there are tourists or crowds. Many of the pickpocket gangs travel from all over Europe for the rich pickings to be had here. The most feared are those who travel from South America - very professional indeed.

But then, this is like any big city in Europe - or pretty much anywhere in the world.

I should say that there's nothing special about Victoria in this respect. There are pickpockets operating anywhere in London that there are tourists or crowds. Many of the pickpocket gangs travel from all over Europe for the rich pickings to be had here. The most feared are those who travel from South America - very professional indeed.

But then, this is like any big city in Europe - or pretty much anywhere in the world.

I agree. I was just on a thread the other day where someone was warning about pickpockets in Barcelona. Some poor poster was afraid she wouldn't get from the airport to her hotel without being robbed!! Bad guys are everywhere.

My DH is NOTORIOUS for losing things. We just spent the last two days, off and on, looking for his car keys. I refused to give him mine (he might lose them!!!), but I finally found them. So, part of travel for me is to keep him without stuff that we need to keep!!! Therefore, the neck pouch. Makes him feel better, too.

Brenda,

I just wanted to make sure you picked up from Peggy's reply that you should ask for a ground floor room in the UK - the first floor is up that flight of stairs :)

Karen

Thank you so much Karen, I was thinking first floor, but now I will be sure to ask for the ground floor! Brenda

I agree. I was just on a thread the other day where someone was warning about pickpockets in Barcelona. Some poor poster was afraid she wouldn't get from the airport to her hotel without being robbed!! Bad guys are everywhere.

My DH is NOTORIOUS for losing things. We just spent the last two days, off and on, looking for his car keys. I refused to give him mine (he might lose them!!!), but I finally found them. So, part of travel for me is to keep him without stuff that we need to keep!!! Therefore, the neck pouch. Makes him feel better, too.

I've seen those neck pouches and thought they looked like a good idea. I don't like things around my neck so guess my husband would have to be the one to use it though. I don't carry a pocketbook either so my id is always in his wallet, but our passports are always in our carry on or camera bag.

And yes I agree that no matter where you go you have to be careful. I suppose some areas are worse than others, but theft can happen anywhere and tourists are great targets.

Brenda

Brenda, tucked into the top "undy", the pouch does not hang on your neck. It's quite comfortable. I recommend getting one (Target has them, and WalMart, I think), and trying it at home for a day.

Brenda, tucked into the top "undy", the pouch does not hang on your neck. It's quite comfortable. I recommend getting one (Target has them, and WalMart, I think), and trying it at home for a day.

I guess I was thinking of something different, or are they the same thing only you manage to tuck yours inside? I will give it a try, but I think in my case they are going to have to start making passports much smaller to fit in my top "undy." Now if we were talking about the backside of my bottom "undy" that would be a different story.:D

Brenda

I guess I was thinking of something different, or are they the same thing only you manage to tuck yours inside? I will give it a try, but I think in my case they are going to have to start making passports much smaller to fit in my top "undy." Now if we were talking about the backside of my bottom "undy" that would be a different story.:D

Brenda

HA!

My neck purse is just about the size of a passport, soft cloth with velcro at the top of each "pocket", but they close flat, and with a fold over flap that snaps. The whole thing with credit cards, two passports, and folding money (not a lot of that), is about 1/2 inch thick. It has a soft cord with one of those slide adjustment thingies on the end (the little "barrel" with the cord sliding through it that you pinch to hold the cord).

It's flat and compact, and I tuck it right into the middle of the upper "undy". I look kinda flatchested, but I'm not going for a fashion show, just security.

Another option you might want to consider is booking a pre-cruise stay at one of the hotels used by Princess. If you book it on your own it's much cheaper than going through Princess. We booked our own room at the Crowne Plaza -St. James, then booked the Princess transfer from Victoria Coach Station. Once we got to the hotel I asked the Princess agent if we could just board the bus right from the hotel and she changed our reservation. When I contacted Princess about transfers, they said we couldn't book the transfer from the hotel unless we got the whole package.

I this case I was glad we used the Princess transfer. The ship was 5 hours late getting into port, so they took us on a side trip to visit Windsor Castle. Had I used the train we would have sat around the terminal waiting for the ship and disembarking.

The cruise on Sea Princess was subsequently canceled, but that's another story. :(

Dave

You can get the train from Waterloo to Southampton and then pick up a cab. Checkout Megatrain.com/uk, which allows you to book cheap e-tickets in advance on a few specific trains - they set aside one of the train coaches for people with Megatrain tickets, but its still the normal London to Southampton service and the seats are no different.
Conversely, for those who aren't averse to paying the normal fare for the London-Southampton train (a walk-up fare of £33.20 return in standard class), and who are travelling at the weekends or on public holidays, South West trains has a first class upgrade offer at £5 each way:-
Upgrade for just £5

For £5 each way you can upgrade your Standard Class ticket to First Class on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

The guard will be able to upgrade your Standard ticket to First Class during the journey. Upgrades are not available with Advance Purchase or selected promotional tickets. Ask the guard for details.

However, to guarantee a seat in First Class, you will need to buy a full First Class ticket in advance and make a seat reservation. Click here for terms and conditions.

List of UK public holidays here.

It's flat and compact, and I tuck it right into the middle of the upper "undy". I look kinda flatchested, but I'm not going for a fashion show, just security.

I was going to start a thread asking if it was wise to carry your passports on excursions or not, but I finally figured out how to use the search and found 4 previous threads on it. I noticed you had posted that you always carry it, and considering your method I would say that is definitely pretty darned secure! Brenda

Archived