Getting to Southampton from London

Another option you might want to consider is booking a pre-cruise stay at one of the hotels used by Princess. If you book it on your own it's much cheaper than going through Princess. We booked our own room at the Crowne Plaza -St. James, then booked the Princess transfer from Victoria Coach Station. Once we got to the hotel I asked the Princess agent if we could just board the bus right from the hotel and she changed our reservation. When I contacted Princess about transfers, they said we couldn't book the transfer from the hotel unless we got the whole package.

I this case I was glad we used the Princess transfer. The ship was 5 hours late getting into port, so they took us on a side trip to visit Windsor Castle. Had I used the train we would have sat around the terminal waiting for the ship and disembarking.

The cruise on Sea Princess was subsequently canceled, but that's another story. :(

Dave

I believe one of the first things I did was to check out the hotels that Princess was currently offering although I can't be sure they will be the same for next year. I agree, the prices were cheaper, but still considerably higher than others I have researched, and I don't remember them being as close to the tube as I hoped either. I've done so much research now that things are starting to blur together! You did make a good point for the Princess transfer.

I'm so sorry your cruise was canceled. I hope you either had Princess air or were able to make other travel arrangements. I'm not sure what I would do, but since we are buying our own airfare I think after flying that far I wouldn't go home until I'd had my vacation!

Brenda

You're right, there are less expensive hotels. The Crowne Plaza was very nice, although their restaurants were very expensive. But there are lots of pubs and places around to eat. Be prepared for sticker shock, everything in London is expensive with the dollar doing so poorly. The Crowne Plaza is only a short walk from the St. James underground station.

Princess rebooked our air, and we opted to return to London for 4 more days. We bought our Oyster pass for the underground and zipped all over. We had a nice time, although still a disappointment.

Dave

You're right, there are less expensive hotels. The Crowne Plaza was very nice, although their restaurants were very expensive. But there are lots of pubs and places around to eat. Be prepared for sticker shock, everything in London is expensive with the dollar doing so poorly. The Crowne Plaza is only a short walk from the St. James underground station.

Princess rebooked our air, and we opted to return to London for 4 more days. We bought our Oyster pass for the underground and zipped all over. We had a nice time, although still a disappointment.

Dave

I'm sure it was a disappointment, but I'm glad you extended your stay and had some fun just the same. I know what you mean about the exchange rate, I'm especially concerned about it getting worse. I know we'll have to eat while we are in London but I plan on saving my appetite for the ship.:) I don't mind paying for the sightseeing, but don't care about spending a lot of money on food. So long as we get fish and chips once we'll be happy. If it wasn't for the poor exchange rate though, I would have wanted to spend more than 3 nights in London.

Try the Bangers and Mash too. Tasty but relatively inexpensive.

The Yorkshire pudding was nothing to write home about.

Dave

My English friend told me the same thing, although I really don't care for sausage. I will probably taste it though since my husband does. My friend didn't give me much hope for the food in England. She said even the sandwiches leave a lot to be desired. They aren't like the subs we have here. And the worst part, the beer isn't cold! I'm sure I'll find something appealing that she didn't think to mention though. I hope to be so busy that I'll just grab things on the run. Brenda

We got some very good meals at Weatherspoons pubs in England. Victoria Station has an entire shopping mall attached to it, and there is a Weatherspoons and another place we liked, Garfunkels, there.

In Stratford on Avon the day we were there (a Saturday) there is a farmer's market. It might be there other days, I don't know. They were selling sausage and onion sandwiches, and they were delicious!

English mustard is very spicy, and we also liked that on our sandwiches, etc.

We got some very good meals at Weatherspoons pubs in England. Victoria Station has an entire shopping mall attached to it, and there is a Weatherspoons and another place we liked, Garfunkels, there.

I will write those down so when the time comes I'll remember to look for them. I'm sure if there is a mall there will be all kinds of fast food places as well.

They were only kidding you. There's plenty of cold beer here!

Really? She may have been mistaken, but I know she wasn't kidding. She said the regular beer tends to be on the warmer side and if you want a really cold one you have to get the lager. She's not a huge beer drinker but enjoyed a "cold one" when coming to the states. She also commented they are rather stingy with the ice cubes over there compared to here where you get mostly ice and no soda!

Really? She may have been mistaken, but I know she wasn't kidding. She said the regular beer tends to be on the warmer side and if you want a really cold one you have to get the lager. She's not a huge beer drinker but enjoyed a "cold one" when coming to the states. She also commented they are rather stingy with the ice cubes over there compared to here where you get mostly ice and no soda!

Actually, Globaliser is correct. Weatherspoon's advertises about how cold their beers are.

My English friend told me the same thing, although I really don't care for sausage. I will probably taste it though since my husband does. My friend didn't give me much hope for the food in England. She said even the sandwiches leave a lot to be desired. They aren't like the subs we have here. And the worst part, the beer isn't cold! I'm sure I'll find something appealing that she didn't think to mention though. I hope to be so busy that I'll just grab things on the run. Brenda

Grabbing food on the run is likely to be the easiest way to taste the worst of British food - there are good places and there are bad places, just like everywhere.

Sausages can vary from very tasty (upto 95% meat) to not so tasty - so it depends where you eat. Cumberland sausages are served in many places and these are, IMO of course, quite nice. A nice pub is a good place to get a good traditional 'pub meal' - bangers & mash, steak & ale pie etc - unfortunately, I neither live in London, nor eat out a lot any more, so I can't personally recommend anywhere.

Can't comment on the size of the Subs as I've not tried American ones to compare them to :) - it depends where you buy them of course, but to my eyes & stomach, some of the ones sold here are huge:D - of course, some UK sandwiches are just plain boring - though Marks & Spencer have quite a good reputation for off the shelf sandwiches.

And just how cold do you want your beer? :D

We DO have cold beer (lager) - its the traditional ale that is warm (i.e. room temperature) as that is how it is meant to be served in order that you taste the flavour.

The current trend is for 'ice cold' beers (many lagers and Guiness come this way) - some pubs serve it in taps that are iced over and others not, depends how they want to keep it. And the latest fad here is cider poured over ice - which to my eyes just dilutes it:D

Karen

(Sorry Globaliser - only just noticed you have already defended the beer<G>)

You guys are giving me hope that I won't be totally disappointed in the beer, but isn't the ale more what we would consider regular beer here? I'm not a beer expert (obviously :D) but thought the lager was the darker heavier stuff? As a primarily Bud Light drinker I tend to experiment only with different light beers, international and domestic, and not always with the best success! I didn't mean to turn this into a food and beer thread but I've appreciated the input and welcome the suggestions. I expected we'd eat mostly in the pubs, and thought that would be the most fun anyway. Can't wait to try Weaterspoons now AND the cold beer:) .

You guys are giving me hope that I won't be totally disappointed in the beer, but isn't the ale more what we would consider regular beer here? I'm not a beer expert (obviously :D) but thought the lager was the darker heavier stuff? As a primarily Bud Light drinker I tend to experiment only with different light beers, international and domestic, and not always with the best success! I didn't mean to turn this into a food and beer thread but I've appreciated the input and welcome the suggestions. I expected we'd eat mostly in the pubs, and thought that would be the most fun anyway. Can't wait to try Weaterspoons now AND the cold beer:) .

Lager is pale and generally (in the UK) Australian or European

I would consider bud to be a lager (so does Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lager

Most ales are darker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ale

and who knew there were this many types of bear :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Types_of_beer

Karen

Lager is pale and generally (in the UK) Australian or European

I would consider bud to be a lager (so does Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lager

Most ales are darker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ale

and who knew there were this many types of bear :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Types_of_beer

Karen

Wow I was way off base! Lager it is for me then. Can't wait to start experimenting;) Thanks, Brenda

I will write those down so when the time comes I'll remember to look for them. I'm sure if there is a mall there will be all kinds of fast food places as well.

They have a McD's and KFC in the mall attached to the Victoria Tube Station. Across the street where the Megabus terminal is, there is another outside (sort of like a semi-US "strip" mall) that has a Subway and other restaurants, too. If you are on a tight budget for a meal or two, then Subway is the absolute cheapest in the area.

We also ate a pub a few blocks down Belgrave toward our hotel. There are quite a few small restaurants in the area. The mall is your "comfort zone-home base" place, because it's familiar and easy to get to, and everything is there, including Boots (drugstore plus sundries), and a grocery store that also has sandwiches and things to take out.

You won't starve by any means!!!

The Yorkshire pudding was nothing to write home about.

Dave

Unless you have tried my yorkshire pudding.

Fast food is the death of good food and I think that far too many restaurants try to get away with things like frozen Yorkshires - the taste does not compare with the real thing. On some Sundays they do not rise consistently but what the heck they taste great. My family just loves them.

We took Megatrain last month from Southampton to Waterloo. Those on the coaches had a nightmare trip as the M3 motorway was closed due to an accident!! Our second time on Megatrain - simply marvellous!! £2.50 for two!!! Hated National Express bus!!

If you are handicapped, if you e-mail SouthWest trains, they will arrange assistance with baggage etc.

I looked into Megatrain, too, but they didn't have the trains running when and where I wanted.

We used National Express three times on our recent trip: Heathrow to Victoria London, Victoria to Southampton, Stanstead to Heathrow. We had comfortable rides on all three trips, and the one in from Heathrow had slow traffic. But, since we are used to LA and Bay Area, CA traffic, as long as it's moving we're good!

I've noticed quire a lot of advice on this thread for the overseas visitor on places to eat out in London or elsewhere.

If you want to see what Great Cuisine we have in the UK please look at this site (The Good Food Guide) and inspect some of the best restaurants this country has to offer.

https://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/food_and_drink/reports/taste_tests/The%20Good%20Food%20Guide/The%20Good%20Food%20Guide/good_food_guide_574_70793_9.jsp

Archived