When Do Caribbean Storms Really Begin?

cruisenut2001

I was going to post this in the 2007 hurricane forum, but it's closed. CC News reported the storm season started 3 weeks early. So is the storm season now from May to October? We like the warm summer waters, but would just like to improve our odds by not picking a high percentage month. Of the three different Caribbean cruise routes (south, east, or west) which is least likely to be affected by hurricanes?

Southern itineraries, as most if not all of those ******* are outside the hurricane belt. Almost always safe.

I suggest avoiding Eastern cruises late Sept/mid Oct. But even that is iffy. Last year was nothing compared to the year before.

Hurricane season officially starts in June. But, who can control Mother Nature? We have already had a tropical depression and they are predicting a strong storm season this year. They predicted that last year and it did not come to fruition.

Hurricane season officially starts on June 1 and ends in November....I actually can't remember if it's the beginning of November or the end.

At the beginning of the season, storms typically form close to the United States (in the Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean)....then in July and August, they start looking for developments farther out in the Atlantic and they watch storm systems that come off of the coast of Africa.

That early tropical storm that developed off the east coast is making me nervous. That's what happened year before last when we had such a busy season (Hurricanes Katrina and Rita). I don't like it one bit when those storms start developing before the season officially starts. Not a good sign.:(

Hurricane season officially starts on June 1 and ends in November....I actually can't remember if it's the beginning of November or the end.

Hurricane season ends November 30. It is a full six months long (give or take a few weeks on either end for storms that don't look at a calendar).

Storms don't have calendars. I'm not really even sure why people have to invent things like "hurricane season". It just causes needless worry. Hurricanes are more probable during certain times of the year versus others. Just because there are statistics and averages, it doesn't mean there's a schedule. Weather forecasters are wrong about 70% of the time.

And, when did ******* become a dirty word here?

I can't remember what year it was, maybe around 1981, there was a hurricane in April.

It wasn't 1981 - Arlene was the first storm and it was in May. Arlene was a rare storm starting in the Pacific and moving in to the Caribbean.

The official hurricane season is always June 1 through November 30 each year.

"People" don't invent things like hurricane season. You should know it's scientific data, based on many different elements.

Most of the earlier storms are tropical depressions, not hurricanes.:)

The official hurricane season is always June 1 through November 30 each year.

"People" don't invent things like hurricane season. You should know it's scientific data, based on many different elements.

Most of the earlier storms are tropical depressions, not hurricanes.:)

Right...no one "invented" hurricane season. The warm season is when we have hurricanes. In 2005, hurricanes started developing in May and they were still active in December.

And with the warm winter we've had, I'm sure the storms will be plentiful and close together.

Thanks to all for your inputs. I like the graph. We haven't sailed the Caribbean yet, but can't wait. So many good deals and so many beaches. Now if air fares can come down in price. We saw the TV show that spot lighted the Liberty of the Seas and what a beautiful ship (maybe it was Freedom of the Seas). I looked over the snorkeling forum and have a list of islands so just need to pick a ship. Thanks again for all your help.

As mentioned June till Nov is prime hurricane time.. we cruised last year to the western car.. and weather was great.. we are going again this oct sametime mid oct to the eastern.. hoping for the samething.. but you never can tell ;)

Storms don't have calendars. I'm not really even sure why people have to invent things like "hurricane season". It just causes needless worry.

Negative. This comment is wrong in so many ways.

Southern itineraries, as most if not all of those ******* are outside the hurricane belt. Almost always safe.

Wrong. The South is just as vulnerable, especially later in the season.

Right...no one "invented" hurricane season. The warm season is when we have hurricanes. In 2005, hurricanes started developing in May and they were still active in December.

And with the warm winter we've had, I'm sure the storms will be plentiful and close together.

The first storm of 2005 was Arlene (June 8-13) not May. Yes, they were still active in December -the last storm (Tropical Storm Zeta) lived into January 2006! :)

The eastern and souther Caribbean tend to get more effected by hurricanes.

We have cruised in June and have had no problems.

One time we cruised in July. Even though we didn't have a hurricane, we did have a lot of rain.

Weather is so unpredictable.

Since 2004 all of these storms would have effected the Western -

Ivan, Wilma, Charley, Bonnie, Arlene, Cindy, Dennis, Emily, Katrina, Rita,

August and early Sept you see some Cape Verde type hurricanes - Frances is one off the top of my head that was a cape verde type hurricane, I think Ivan was also.

As the season gets later - late sept until oct you see more hurricanes form in the caribbean IE Wilma, Rita.

We love to cruise during the peak of hurricane season...just make sure you buy insurance and you will be fine.

The first storm of 2005 was Arlene (June 8-13) not May. Yes, they were still active in December -the last storm (Tropical Storm Zeta) lived into January 2006! :)

There may not have been any actual hurricanes in May, but yes, there were disturbances beginning to develop in May of 2005. I remember it quite well.

• 3 weeks later...
Since 2004 all of these storms would have effected the Western -

Ivan, Wilma, Charley, Bonnie, Arlene, Cindy, Dennis, Emily, Katrina, Rita,

August and early Sept you see some Cape Verde type hurricanes - Frances is one off the top of my head that was a cape verde type hurricane, I think Ivan was also.

As the season gets later - late sept until oct you see more hurricanes form in the caribbean IE Wilma, Rita.

We love to cruise during the peak of hurricane season...just make sure you buy insurance and you will be fine.

Why buy insurance? I want to go no matter what and I live close to port so getting to the boat shouldn't be a problem so I'm asking why have insurance if the cruise line cancels they should reimbuse or give credit for a different trip right?

Storms don't have calendars. I'm not really even sure why people have to invent things like "hurricane season". It just causes needless worry. Hurricanes are more probable during certain times of the year versus others. Just because there are statistics and averages, it doesn't mean there's a schedule. Weather forecasters are wrong about 70% of the time.

And, when did ******* become a dirty word here?

So those people who may be affected at least pay a bit more attention. Being a Fl east coast resident it amazes me how unprepared people can be in the middle of hurricane season. Of course I'm cruising in September so I may be no better

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping my fingers crossed! We went last year in mid September and are going the same time this year. The weather was wonderful! Sun every day and not a drop of rain or bad weather. The only thing we did get were some waves from a storm that had passed through. Can't complain!

Hoping we luck out this time..... ;)

Archived