Currency in Cozumel and Grand Cayman

cruiserbryce

I understand that the currency here is the Peso...but do the shops accept dollars? Will we need to go to an exchange place? Also...when buying jewelry and more expensive items will I have trouble using my bank mastercard for these purchases...seem like silly questions but any help would be appreciated

Most merchants will take USD in both places

GC if you take the local bus I think it is local currency only ...the bank machines will offer you a choice of Cayman dollars or USD.

Credit cards can be used at the shops no problem sometimes you will get a better deal with cash.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, we just went to both places and had NO problem using USD. We bought a little white gold turtle pendant at a jewelry store and had no trouble using our US based debit card. I WOULD recommend you calling your CC comapny (or debit card's back) and tell them you will be traveling, where and when. They may freak out and freeze your accounts if all of the sudden they see purchases from GC and mexico. :) better safe than sorry.

• 1 month later...

When shopping be sure you understand the price tag on the article you are interested in. Both Grand Caymen and Mexico use the same $ symbol to indicate their local currency but Cozumel shops often mark their prices in $US. The GC dollar is worth more than the US$ but the Mexican peso is worth about 9 cents (11 per US$). Just ask the clerk what currency the tag indicates.

Archived