Just Back From AOS, Aruba Route 5/6 Sailing

Just returned from my 1st RCL cruise on Adventure of the Seas, AOS on the 5/6 Aruba route sailing. How was it? We booked another cruise while on board; does that answer the question? The ship and crew are fabulous. Loved the midship balcony cabin featuring the new bedding. Room service early morning coffee on the balcony in our bathrobes was a treat. Easy checkin, great cabin attendant. The ship is enormous and beautiful. Loved the library and view of the promenade deck. 2 dinners at Portofino were teriffic. Ice show was incredible. Great entertainment. Easy offloads at ports. Nicest dining room I've ever seen. Friendly crew. Only disappointment was the captain said "no", we couldn't take our cabin attendant home with us, lol. Sail,Snorkel, Swing excursion in Aruba was with Jolly Pirates and one of the best excursions we've ever done. Highly recommend. Happy to answer any questions. Will post review when I can. Also stayed at Marriott Stellaris pre cruise and El Convento Hotel post cruise in San Juan and happy to answer questions on those.

Do you have kids and if so, did they enjoy themselves on this cruise????

I do have kids. The younger is 24 & just returned from his great 2 week jaunt to Bolivia, on his own dimes, lol. They were not on our cruise.

However, on our cruise we kept bumping into a wonderful family from Tampa that included a 7 yr old girl and 9 yr old boy. They seemed to be having a fabulous time. The dad was doing scuba in some ports but was included with mom & kids in our Snorkel excursion in Aruba, the kids seemed to love that outing, everyone did. The daughter also sat next to me at one of the headliner shows & the ice show. she apparently had been taking skating instruction from several of the performers. The ship seems to be perfect for families because of the large promenade deck, rock climbing wall, ice skating rink and Adventure youth program. I'd say it is extremely family oriented. We took our sons on American Hawaii when they were young & they had a great time. go for it!

how was the new bedding? What was changed from the old? New comforter and thicker matresses? Feather bed? Are the comforters like the newer hotel ones (hilton/westin) that are washed between trips?

Best thing about the new bedding is that someone else got to make it, lol! Okay, I'm a guy and my kid had to tell me about thread count, so .....

It was an attractive blue in color. It was thick and extremely comfortable. I don't know what the old was like cause this was my 1st RCL. We were lucky on this trip because the precruise hotel was the Marriott Stellaris in San Juan and they just finished a remodel, so the bedding there was brand new also. I may be wrong, but I tend to doubt that the comforters are washed after avery trip because they are so large. We did score a feather pillow to share between us even though we are only (gold level) by specific request. We slept wonderfully on the cruise. Cabin was stone quiet.

Polodad

I hope you found the ship in great shape. We did some minor damage to the many bars aboard but they kept bringing in more bottles of rum.

Did they have a Meet and Mingle? Ours was canceled or never booked eventhough we had confirmation and over 25 signed up.

I agree the dining room is awesome. Had a large window table and the views of the setting sun was great. One at our table had a problem with the view but was a guest for our wedding night/formal dinner and did not have to eat there the whole week. The food was great and the service was better. Ask for table 294 with Mustafa (waiter) and Louis (assistant Waiter). We ate at Portofino one night and found the service less than downstairs. Not bad but not to the standard set by the dynamic duo.

The upgraded suite amenaties have not been implemented. The bedding was great. Very comfortable and comparable to top line hotels.

There is so much to see and do that you can't possibly do it all on one cruise. Next time a Back to Back and bring stretchy pants.

TTFN

Rick:cool:

Hi Rick:

Sorry to hear about your M&M being cancelled. It's funny, but I was jealous of how much more active your Rollcall thread was then ours. Yet, our M&M was held and was really fun. It was nice to meet the folks we'd been chatting with. Did your pre cruise at Senor frog's comeoff? I was really relieved about the weather more then anything. I fully expected to get pured on all week & it just didn't happen. Only rain was during lunch in St. Maarten & we were inside. I'm 6 months behind you. We just got engaged & were going to use the trip to go ring shopping, but I chickened out & used a jeweler at home before the cruise. she did buy a watch in St. Thomas. We actually had mediocre service in the dining room. Portofino immensely surpassed it.

Best outing was Jolly Pirates in Aruba with a great snorkel outing & bus ride.

The cruise must have been good because we booked the Panama Canal for next year while onboard and are looking forward to sailing into our own home San Francisco Bay. Best wishes! Oh, I spontaneously spent $40 on cabfare for our Sat night outing in San Juan to go to the Americas mall because I failed to plan for and pack underwear for the cruise while watching the Golden State Warriors eliminate the Dallas Mavericks.

Hey Rick,

It sounds like you had an awesome DR location and wait staff. It makes such a difference. Do they actually honor or take requests for table locations?

PoloDad

This might be a stupid question, but if you have someone who gets seasick is there a way that they can face away from the window?

Which Panama Canal cruise did you book? We are also from the bay area and would love to see the Panama Canal.

Diana

Hi Drifting:

If you are at a table away from the window I think you can face anywhere. Our problem was they thought they were doing us a favor at Portofino by giving us tables each night that were at the window. I believe the vibration and noise from the engines was more pronounced near the window & it was bothering gf.

We are booked for the repo cruise on Serenade of the Seas leaving San Juan on 4/19/08 and arriving in SF 14 days later via the Panama Canal. Someone who was on that cruise this year said that 70% of the passengers resided within 100 miles of Oakdale or SF Bay Area. Is the chocolate factory worth visiting in Oakdale, if on the way to Yosemite ?

Sounds like you had a great time!!! We are on the AOS next March and they have changed the time we leave Aruba to 8pm. Was this the same for you?? Don't understand why we are leaving so early when we are sailing to Curacao the next day and don't have far to go.:rolleyes:

PoloDad

After 911 they stopped all public tours to the chocolate factory, and now Hershey has decided to cut costs and is moving a large portion of their production to Mexico. The plant here in Oakdale is closing and about 500+ people are looking for new employment. Not a great topic around here, but hey at least we know that our chocolate will be coming from Mexico now.

Drifting

Aruba to 8pm. Was this the same for you?? Don't understand why we are leaving so early when we are sailing to Curacao the next day.

I believe we left Aruba at 8:30 pm, but I could be wrong. Strongly recommend the Snorkel, Sail, Swing excursion on RCL, which uses Jolly Pirates as the provider. I guarantee you'll love it.

The new bedding has a great look, but too heavy (weight) for a carib. sailing. We are from up north and use the heavy bedding when it is below 30 degrees. We asked for a blanket, received one with no problem. Under our bed they kept 2 new smaller of the bedding for twin beds and they were in plastic bags. Do not know if the covers on the new bedding were cleaned from week before, bedding did look and smell clean but we did not use after first night.

Hi we are booked next year and haven't made any hotel reservations yet. I have read that some places don't take reservations this early. We are sailing 4/13/08. How far in advance did you book your hotels and if you don't mind what was the cost per night? Did you taxi from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the pier? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Curious about your stay at El Convento...

GF discovered el convento when in SJ a few years ago. We decided to book it for 1 night post cruise because of location in Old san Juan. it is a beautiful 1st rate hotel, but pricey. Queen for the night was $300in nice room. worth it for location in my opinion.

We are sailing 4/13/08. How far in advance did you book your hotels and if you don't mind what was the cost per night?

Booked hotels in Feb. I'd recommend earlier, they were busy due to spring break. Marriott was $155 on Priceline. El convento was $300 direct thru the hotel. Cab from airport to Marriott $15? Marriott to Ship $20? Ship to el convento $12? El convento to airport $14.

I'm amazed that CC did it this quick, but I'm the OP on this thread and my full review of the cruise we walked off of last Sunday is now available right here in the review section of CC. Happy to answer any further questions.

We are sailing 4/13/08. How far in advance did you book your hotels and if you don't mind what was the cost per night?

Booked hotels in Feb. I'd recommend earlier, they were busy due to spring break. Marriott was $155 on Priceline. El convento was $300 direct thru the hotel. Cab from airport to Marriott $15? Marriott to Ship $20? Ship to el convento $12? El convento to airport $14.

We will be staying at the Marriott in Dec. Are they done remodeling?

How is the hotel and rooms?

Based on what I saw and have read online I believe the remodel is done. The room, hotel and grounds were absolutely gorgeous. Only crititicism is loud music in lobby, so I'd recommend a higher floor room, as we did. Also suggest pool view if available. Have a great trip.

Thank you for the information;) I have never used priceline but it seems reading these boards a lot of people do. I am just worried what if I don't get one of the nice hotels people stay in then what! You definitely save a lot of money.

I am just worried what if I don't get one of the nice hotels people stay in then what! You definitely save a lot of money.

On Priceline you set the level of hotel that is acceptable to you. In that location you either get the Marriott or Hilton at resort level. I don't see any risk, I paid $155 for the Marriott on Priceline, the hotel was asking twice as much.

Do you have kids and if so, did they enjoy themselves on this cruise????

I am switching from Disney cruises and was seriously thinking of flying into SJU for a S. Carib cruise.

Sounds like you will have kids on your cruise. There are quite a few of us already booked for the "Crazy Easter Cruisers" 3/23/08 out of SJU. Check out the AOS Roll Call for that date and you will see a lot of good info.

My DW and I did the eastern AOS itinerary on 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids love the Voyager class ships and are really looking forward to next year's spring break vacation to Aruba on the Adventure.

Another reason to consider the AOS is that the rates are very reasonable compared with other fares next spring. :)

I am just worried what if I don't get one of the nice hotels people stay in then what! You definitely save a lot of money.

On Priceline you set the level of hotel that is acceptable to you. In that location you either get the Marriott or Hilton at resort level. I don't see any risk, I paid $155 for the Marriott on Priceline, the hotel was asking twice as much.

Thanks again for all your information. I guess if there is no risk they both look like nice hotels I will have to talk to DH and give it a shot. I will let you know how I make out.

Archived