Room Service Question????

Lynzchat

Hello there!

Since we are first time HAL cruisers, I wanted to ask this silly room service question. Is it available at anytime, and is there a fee? How exactly does Room Service work? If you just want a snack, can you order it through room service?

Yikes....I gotta cruise more often!:D

Full breakfast from 6am to 10 am: fill out the form the night before. Lunch and dinner available during regular DR hours. Sandwiches, fruit, cheese plates, chocolate cake available 24 hrs. Enjoy!

The miniscule portion that might filter down to the room service steward is hardly enough. If we request the special service of free room service, I would be so very uncomfortable to not give the fellow a few dollars. They always come with such a nice smile, are so eager to satisfy, will return good naturedly to get something more you want......If we can afford a vacation, we can spare a little to say a proper thank you for those who serve us well.

Dining stewards/ assistant dining stewards, cabin stewards.....we know exactly how much they are getting from the automatic tipping. We know there is not much left from the $10 per day for everyone else who is supposed to be sharing in it.

Just my opinion .............you will do as you please, of course.

Sail,

I fully agree. I just find it amazing. The idea of the autotip policy was to eliminate confusion about tipping. But the fact that some of it is distributed to other staff members makes it confusing as to who else to tip.

However, I feel that the little extra that is distributed is for the normal everyday services. Something like room service is above and beyond the normal. I would definitely recommend a tip for that.

Round and round we go.:(

Sail and Orcrone,

I agree with you about tipping. I for one do not ever intend to let the auto tipping interfere with my regular tipping habits. My experience with HAL's wonderful employees always leaves me in a generous mood. The $10 per day is stretched too thin in my opinion. I prefer to leave it in place and then add my tip to individuals.

Just my way of doing things for my own comfort.

Linda

If someone goes beyond their job description, then a tip is warranted (the steward who runs back for extra cream, butter, etc.). But for simply doing their job? I don't think so.AS for the suggestion that a tip is "...to say a proper thank you..." - that's an extremely limited U.S.-only attitude. Many people throughout the world feel insulted when Americans insist on handing them a few grubby dollar bills.

How did a simple question about room service turn into a tipping "discussion"? The poster didn't even mention tipping. At least I assumed she was asking if room service food is included in the cost of her cruise or is an extra like the Pinnacle.

And yes I tip--because I choose to. But no one is going to change his opinion so why the pointless harping?

How did a simple question about room service turn into a tipping "discussion"? The poster didn't even mention tipping. At least I assumed she was asking if room service food is included in the cost of her cruise or is an extra like the Pinnacle.

Oh, I agree, it shouldn't have been discussed. But I was replying to those who seemed to think it necessary to tell the OP that somehow a tip was required, suggested or necessary......

If someone goes beyond their job description, then a tip is warranted (the steward who runs back for extra cream, butter, etc.). But for simply doing their job? I don't think so.AS for the suggestion that a tip is "...to say a proper thank you..." - that's an extremely limited U.S.-only attitude. Many people throughout the world feel insulted when Americans insist on handing them a few grubby dollar bills.
Dakrewser - using the extension of your logic do you not tip when you go to a restaurant? The servers are just doing their job. How about when you take a cab from the airport to the pier? Would a tip only be required if they helped you with your luggage? Then you could just grab it yourself to save the tip.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just pointing out that, in this country at least, a tip is warranted for some people that are just doing their job. And since I live in this country I will continue to tip when I feel it's warranted.

Thanks for all the posts! I absolutely LOVED them. I love ordering coffee in the mornings, while I get ready. My future husband doesn't drink coffee, but he understands by need for 'caffeine'. I don't mind the tipping, and I'm glad to see that a few dollars is what is the norm.

I do have to say, that I like the idea of 'ordering a nice cheese plate' right before dinner, because we are sitting at the late seating, so we may get a bit hungry!

Lynzchat,

I hope you and your fiance have a great time. Where in Virginia do you live? As you can tell I'm from Chesapeake, in southeastern VA.

Orcrone

Hi Orcrone- We live in the Fairfax area. I've only lived in VA for about 6 years, but my fiancee grew up here. I don't know where Southeastern VA is, but it must be near water, right? Forgive my ignorance! BTW, love your posts!:D

Hi Orcrone- We live in the Fairfax area. I've only lived in VA for about 6 years, but my fiancee grew up here. I don't know where Southeastern VA is, but it must be near water, right? Forgive my ignorance! BTW, love your posts!:D
We're a little over two hours away from you. Chesapeake is part of Hampton Roads, just south of Norfolk, west of Virginia Beach and bordering on North Carolina. We're about 1/2 hour from the VA Beach oceanfront.

By the way, I don't know if you've cruised before, but scientific studies have shown that it's impossible to be hungry on a cruise ship.:D

We're a little over two hours away from you. Chesapeake is part of Hampton Roads, just south of Norfolk, west of Virginia Beach and bordering on North Carolina. We're about 1/2 hour from the VA Beach oceanfront.

By the way, I don't know if you've cruised before, but scientific studies have shown that it's impossible to be hungry on a cruise ship.:D

I have cruised ONCE on Royal Carib, many years ago. I am so EXCITED about 'eating' on HAL. My fiancee has never cruised except for his DIVE cruises, and those are pretty much, bunk style, etc.... He is in for a real treat as far as FOOD on the HAL cruise.

Full breakfast from 6am to 10 am: fill out the form the night before.
We haven't been on our HAL cruise yet. On Princess, we could write in items on the breakfast order that weren't on the form. Can we do this on HAL? I loved having smoked salmon and bagels for breakfast on our balcony.

I have cruised ONCE on Royal Carib, many years ago. I am so EXCITED about 'eating' on HAL. My fiancee has never cruised except for his DIVE cruises, and those are pretty much, bunk style, etc.... He is in for a real treat as far as FOOD on the HAL cruise.
Your fiance scuba dives? Great. Is he going to scuba dive on this cruise? Which itinerary and when? If he does could you let me know what he thinks of the diving at the different locations. I'm going to the eastern Caribbean on 10/30 and again on 3/26 next year and would love some heads up.

Thanks,

Orcrone

Archived