Immunizations for cruise to Western Europe

I am sailing on IOS next year. I can't find anyplace online that lists immunizations that are required before traveling from USA to Italy.

There are however some suggestions. Are there any required immunizations? If the CDC has some listed I have not been able to find them. Has anyone on the board been administered a gamma globulin injection recently before traveling abroad? I am a little leery of it since it is a blood by product. I would appreciate any feedback.Thanks!

I have been to Europe many times, especially Italy and I have never gotten any shots. I just went to the Panama canal where I believe there would be more of a risk but nothing was required or suggested.

I went to the CDC's web site before our first Med cruise to see exactly what they recommend. They don't recommend any shots, so we didn't. Just got back from our 3 trip to Europe, and interesting enough I got a cold on the last 2 days of the cruise, and it was a really mild one. Went away during the 5 days post-cruise in England.

You should come see us off on Monday at the San Pedro docks! ;)

Oh my god! I totally should. When do you get into town? The night before? If I had known, I would have had you all over for a farewell drink. Have a woderful cruise!!!!!! And take care of Monarch for me. I think I will be on her again in January. Another birthday bash. The last one was such a success, I think I will make it an annual thing.

Ofcourse it's not necessary in Europe ;) Although, you might consider a Hep. A. shot. This is recommended all over the world. For example, it can prevent from getting sick because of infected food. This can happen all over the world.

There are no required immunizations for Italy. But there are recommendations like

diphteria

tetanus

also heptatis A/B are a good thing to have.

All three of them are immunizations you should always have when you´re travelling.

steamboats

There are no required immunizations for Italy. But there are recommendations like

diphteria

tetanus

All three of them are immunizations you should always have when you´re travelling.

steamboats

Thank you for the KIND response. It is much appreciated.

*sigh* Thanks for the response.

p.s.

I asked because when I lived in Spain for TEN years in the late 60's through the early 70's there WERE required immunizations.

It's a reasonable thing to do, and prudent, to check the health requirements. Like TITISSA and I do, checking the CDC the first time you go anywhere is a good idea.

I am sailing on IOS next year. I can't find anyplace online that lists immunizations that are required before traveling from USA to Italy.

There are however some suggestions. Are there any required immunizations? If the CDC has some listed I have not been able to find them. Has anyone on the board been administered a gamma globulin injection recently before traveling abroad? I am a little leery of it since it is a blood by product. I would appreciate any feedback.Thanks!

Western Europe is very health conscious,in fact ,very civilised

Umm. What would you need to be immunized for? We were in Spain last spring, and Turkey last summer and didn't have any immunizations. I would not worry about it.

Fran in Toronto

Umm. What would you need to be immunized for? We were in Spain last spring, and Turkey last summer and didn't have any immunizations. I would not worry about it.

Fran in Toronto

While in Spain in the 70's we were vaccinated for Typhoid and given Gamma Globulin shots. I was too young then to remember which ones we had but I do remember those two.

While in Spain in the 70's we were vaccinated for Typhoid and given Gamma Globulin shots. I was too young then to remember which ones we had but I do remember those two.

The only time I ever had any shots was typhoid and cholera to go to Southeast Asia in the 70's. I passed on the gamma globulin because they are not all that effective anyway. I've been all over the world since then and never had a shot. Now there are some places I would get them, but Italy isn't one I'd worry about......

Fran in Toronto

Ofcourse it's not necessary in Europe ;) Although, you might consider a Hep. A. shot. This is recommended all over the world. For example, it can prevent from getting sick because of infected food. This can happen all over the world.

I agree on this. I think all travellers should consider at least a hep A vaccination, as you can get this from food in any country.

Otherwise you don't need any shots.

Oh my god! I totally should. When do you get into town? The night before? If I had known, I would have had you all over for a farewell drink. Have a woderful cruise!!!!!! And take care of Monarch for me. I think I will be on her again in January. Another birthday bash. The last one was such a success, I think I will make it an annual thing.

Email me at my CC name (no space btw Merion and Mom) on america online.

We are getting together for dinner the night before and we would LOVE for you to join us!

diphteria

tetanus

steamboats

Actually, everyone should have a tetanus booster every ten years. This is totally unrelated to traveling.

Apart from having diptheria, tetanus and polio boosters up to date we got HepA and typhoid before going to Turkey so you might want to consider this if going there. The rest of Europe is fine.

Our doctor recommended a Tetanus/Diptheria booster before our European cruise this summer. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a Hep A either...as everyone has said you can get that anywhere though - not just in foreign countries.

Archived