Celebrity dress code for teens - how strict?

pbrownmailbox

We're going to be on the Galaxy for the Eastern Mediterranean cruise next month, and my 16 year old son is balking at having to dress up for dinner. My question is, is there any leeway for teenagers on the formal and informal nights? For instance, if he wears nice pants and a dress shirt, but not a coat, is that acceptable? Please advise. If he can't go to dinner because he refuses to dress appropriately, what are his dining options? Thanks. Pam

We're going to be on the Galaxy for the Eastern Mediterranean cruise next month, and my 16 year old son is balking at having to dress up for dinner. My question is, is there any leeway for teenagers on the formal and informal nights? For instance, if he wears nice pants and a dress shirt, but not a coat, is that acceptable? Please advise. If he can't go to dinner because he refuses to dress appropriately, what are his dining options? Thanks. Pam

The Islands Cafe area is set up each night I think for casual dining. While we never use it, I am sure that there will be others who have done so and will give you all the information you need. It's too bad your teenager wants an exception made for him just because he's a teenager; he is missing out on one of the main reasons many people choose Celebrity over more casual lines, that being a more formal dining atmosphere. I hope that you have a great cruise without too much fuss and that you all enjoy yourselves.

In all honesty, this is a great opportunity for all parents to use cruising to teach their teens many of the things that are expected of them when they become adults. While I don't think their will be a problem, you might want to inform your teen that the teen girls will be dressed to the hilt on formal night and that just might change his mind. With teens, they like to dress to impress the opposite sex, so if he knows that the teen girls are going to be wearing prom dresses and things like that, he might be more accepting of wearing a jacket, tie and dress pants.

I am taking my daughter on her first cruise in November and am planning on her dressing appropriately each night.

What you suggested he wear does not even meet what the required dress code is for informal night.

You always have the option to eat at the alternative dinning venue on formal nights.

I am on your sailing and I must say that I hope your teen will come around to appreciating the special fun of formal nights. They are fun and a great way to meet other like minded (dressed) teens........

I do think however, if he does not wish to participate as an adult that he should not be allowed anywhere near the formal activities (not just the dining room) the adults are participating in. Let him eat in an alternative venue. I don't remember how many cruises you said you have been on, but in my experience, even the 5 year olds get dresssed up for the formal events. Your son is a far cry from a 5 year old. But it is his vacation too. So he has a choice to make.

Steve

I told my kids they had to go to the 1st formal night, dressed appropriately. They might actually enjoy it, and they did. On a few of the other nights they chose to eat dinner with their youth groups (formal nights and a few others they will have a group dinner available). Not because they did not want to dress for dinner, just because they wanted to eat with their new friends.

If he is just going to make you and everyone near you miserable I would not force him to go to dinner. There are other passengers to consider also. But I would not let him go without being properly dressed. It is teaching him a poor lesson if you tell him the rules don't really apply to him.

Definately use the alternate dining facilities if your teenager refuses to dress properly. If he were 5 it might be different (although the 5 year olds all seem to dress) but he is too old to be allowed to dine in the main dining room in violation of the clearly stated dress code.

BTW, thanks for asking rather than just assuming it would be okay!:D

Re: my post, this will be the first cruise for my son and me. My mom and daughter have been on one other Princess cruise and enjoyed the formal night. If he refuses to dress up, I told him he'll have to stay in the cabin and have room service. The rest of us will still dress up and go to dinner without him if need be. I am taking his dark suit and tie and hoping to cajole him into trying it at least once, but I won't force it. He's not a real social type anyway in that he has never gone to a school dance, etc., so dressing up and going to a party or fancy dinner just isn't his thing.

Don't worry, though, he won't spoil it for anyone else, because he'll stay in the cabin if need be. I was just curious as to how strict it was as I know some ships don't have such dress requirements. To tell you the truth, we picked Celebrity strictly for the itinerary and ports, and because we heard it was a nice cruise line. We knew nothing about the dress requirements beforehand or we might not have picked it. That being said, the rest of us will still enjoy dressing up. Pam

Hi Pam - I think your son may change his mind once he is on the ship - our three teens needed a lot of persuading to pack more than jeans and t-shirts but they soon had a change of heart ...

I don't recall any of the teens on our ship (Mercury) dressing inappropriately - in fact they all seemed to be really enjoying the opportunity to dress up. Our teens took lots of photos and now that I'm thinking about it - a lot of them were taken on the formal nights.

So... even if he says he's not going to enjoy it - he just might so make sure he packs enough formal wear!

I hope your whole family enjoys cruising as much as ours did. Jayna K

Basically, the dress code applies to your teen as much as it does to you. Enforcement is not consistent from ship to ship or even cruise to cruise on the same ship. You could be in a position where no one will say anything or he may be refused entry to the dining room. Also, Celebrities dress code is for most of the ship after 6:00P.M. and not just the dining room but there is certainly a lot of leeway with that. I am not making any judgements, just passing on reality.

Dining options are casual dining area which is a menu driven meal in the buffet area but is not a buffet. Other options include the grill, sushi and other areas depending on ship. He may also get the same meal served in the dining room from room service during regular dining room hours. Finally, if he is involved in any of the teen activities, they do make arrangements to eat with the group...

Oh for heavens sakes! She is simply asking a question!

We just got off the Mercury and the dress codes were NOT enforvced to the degree people here want you to think! My son wore a suit and tie but he was the only one of the kids he met that did ad that included many young adults - 20's.

As far as manners and "learning" how to act on a cruise is absurd. Children learn manners from example and how they havebeen taught from day one. I am sick and tired of the people on this board looking down on others here and trying to make others feel bad!

All of our children have been raised to mind their manners and respect others. Our occupations require them to attend multiple formal events properly dressed, know which glass to use and which piece of silverware to use and to do so with a smile on their faces.

The fact that we want to leave our jobs and our formal wear behind when we go on vacation is enough to set people off and banish us to the buffet! Well, I am happy to report that even though we showed up the first formal night in "proper attire" the 4 next to us were not, and the larger table of 8 by us only had 2 formally dressed.

If your son wants to skip his jacket, let him. Life will still go on! Since he is not use to wearing suits, he might actually enjoy himself instead of feeling uncomfortable!

And maybe, just maybe, he will learn something - that life is NOT regulated by a few sad people who somehow (by simply stepping onto the ship) feel they have the right to judge others and demand they follow their rules. The Captain himself, told me they would not turn down someone because of their attire - other than the listed restrictions of jeans, shorts etc. SO, if it doesn't matter to the Captain why in the world it matters to some here is beyond me! It is your vacation PLEASE try to relax about this and worry more about the memories you will have -- I doubt any would revolve around if your son wore a jacket or not!

My 17 year old son owns a suit that he will be bringing for our June 30th Millie cruise. For formal night I ordered a tux for him to wear so he doesn't feel out of place.

I did not see ONE Tux on our cruise nor the last 3 cruises we have been on so my guess is he WILL feel out of place if he IS in a Tux! Although, there was a teen a few cruises ago that wore his to breakfast a few times!

Be aware that kids in Europe hardly dress formal nowadays. Most of them probably even donot have a suit. Just some nice pants and shirts, maybe with a tie.

As this cruise will likely have European youngsters, you will see more casual instead of tuxedos on them.

We just got off the Mercury and the dress codes were NOT enforvced to the degree people here want you to think! My son wore a suit and tie but he was the only one of the kids he met that did ad that included many young adults - 20's.

As far as manners and "learning" how to act on a cruise is absurd. Children learn manners from example and how they havebeen taught from day one. I am sick and tired of the people on this board looking down on others here and trying to make others feel bad!

All of our children have been raised to mind their manners and respect others. Our occupations require them to attend multiple formal events properly dressed, know which glass to use and which piece of silverware to use and to do so with a smile on their faces.

The fact that we want to leave our jobs and our formal wear behind when we go on vacation is enough to set people off and banish us to the buffet! Well, I am happy to report that even though we showed up the first formal night in "proper attire" the 4 next to us were not, and the larger table of 8 by us only had 2 formally dressed.

If your son wants to skip his jacket, let him. Life will still go on! Since he is not use to wearing suits, he might actually enjoy himself instead of feeling uncomfortable!

And maybe, just maybe, he will learn something - that life is NOT regulated by a few sad people who somehow (by simply stepping onto the ship) feel they have the right to judge others and demand they follow their rules. The Captain himself, told me they would not turn down someone because of their attire - other than the listed restrictions of jeans, shorts etc. SO, if it doesn't matter to the Captain why in the world it matters to some here is beyond me! It is your vacation PLEASE try to relax about this and worry more about the memories you will have -- I doubt any would revolve around if your son wore a jacket or not!

Breathe in, hold it, breathe out slowly. icon_comfert.gif

As I stated in my earlier post I am not making judgements but when someone gives poor advice then they should be called upon it. Whatever Captain you spoke to was talking about his ship and was probably trying to make good conversation but on Celebrity he could be denied admission. Many on this board and myself have seen it done on all the Celebrity ships. I am not saying it will be done but it could and that might be embarrising to a 17 year old. The OP asked a question and deserves a straight answer, there are plenty of alternatives but please don't tell them to do something which is clearly against the rules because it could backfire.

I have to agree with your logic.

Herewego seems to be on a rant for some reason.

I find it hard to believe that there were NO tuxes at all on the Mercury during an Alaskan cruise...If you dive in to Herewego's history they sail NCL which doesn't have a dress code per se so it is quite possible that on their previous cruises there were no tuxes or suits....different line, different expectations...but I think that should have been expained by them instead of a general negative post.

Dave:eek:

My children are 16 and 10 and have several cruises under their belts. They really enjoy dressing up for the formal nights. We used to rent a tux for our son, 16 until we discovered that he now fits into his dad's 'retro' tux from his college days (sadly Dh cannot!) We allow him to wear it with a little youthful mix (last time he added mirrored aviator sunglasses and black and red converse sneakers). He looked formal, while still his age and we got many positive comments from other passengers.

We too are on Galaxy next month (the 22nd). My kids are not the ones balking at dress code. It is actually my father in law (85), we explained to him his options and he says he will hit the casual dining on formal evenings.

This disappoints me as I was hoping for some nice family photo ops, but c'est la vie......we'll miss him!!!

I was on the Constellation last year for both the Baltic and the Caribbean. I found the European crowd much dressier with many suits even on informal nights. I saw lots of tuxes on both cruises. A dark jacket and tie would be fine for a teenager on formal nights. But as I said before, there are many other options. He does not need to be punished and locked in his room for room service.

If you want to try and see what you can get away with just remember that is the lesson you are teaching. This is what the rules are here, this is what we signed up for, but lets just do what we want instead. You may not be turned away but he will certainly learn it is OK to see how far you can push the rules.

He will not even know there is a problem unless YOU point it out! I worry about teaching my twins what my parents taught me, to be true to yourself as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else and I can't imagine a teen or ANY person not wearing a jacket hurts anyone!

From all the post I have read from those returning lately the dresscode is far from policed to the extent people on this board want us to think. I've read the same thing on three different places so I am bound to believe it.

IF it is truly important to you, simply sit down with him and explain you will ALL dress for the first formal night and get a family picture taken and that after that, he can make his own choice. By then, you will have a solid idea of what all the others are wearing and so will he. He is old enough to make a choice based on facts and yet young enough to have to comply with your request for dressing up for just the first formal night. Just an idea, it is how I'd approach it.

Just remember, he may be the type that feels perfectly comfortable in pjs in a room full of suits or in a tux in a room full of jeans - my husband is that way. It has nothing to do with being rude or not following rules he is simply comfortable with himself and would never in a million years worry about what he or anyone else is wearing. Which is why it is so comical the depth of which others are. You are not a bad parent or even close if your son is allowed in to dine without a jacket and to have others imply that is absurd! The Captain and staff have stated the dress code is only a suggestion and nobody will be turned away.

I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Autumn

"Just remember, he may be the type that feels perfectly comfortable in pjs in a room full of suits or in a tux in a room full of jeans - my husband is that way. It has nothing to do with being rude or not following rules he is simply comfortable with himself and would never in a million years worry about what he or anyone else is wearing"

So on future cruises I will be sunbathing nude by the pool, and forgoing trimming my nose and ear hairs as I am perfectly comfortable with them. Hey I might even let them grow long enough to do a comb over :D .

If someone has a problem with an overweight hairy nude man by the pool or in the hot tubs I will just acknowledge the fact that the dress codes aren't adheard to any way...If I must there is always the white thong...I might be able to get away with that in the buffet as long as they are not enforcing the codes....

I do feel comfortable with myself in any social situation....so why not?

Dave:eek:

We were on this exact cruise (Galaxy Eastern Med) last summer. Our teenage son loved wearing his tux and loved the fact that the girls were dressed up. However, many of the teenage boys were simply smartly dressed in shirt and trousers and had no problem on formal nights.

Archived