Bermuda---what is special about it?

Tarheelbelle

We are considering booking a Bermuda cruise for fall of 2008. Tell me what to do there that makes it worth going only there on a cruise. Of course, I have done some research, but would like to hear from those who have sailed there. Here are some things we like: hiking and nature [me], diving and snorkeling [travel partner], British heritage [me], cultural and artistic activites [both]. We would be going in October or November.

Advice and comments, pros and cons, please!!

I would prefer more ports too. However, many people enjoy Bermuda during the summer because its not so hot and humid as Florida, the Bahamas, and other Caribbean islands especially during the summer months. Bermuda has beautiful pink beaches, a reef, caves, boats, golf courses, shoping, and its citizens have good standard of living cpmpared to other islands. Some of the other islands have a bit of too much poverty and their citizens tend to force themselves on you which you won't see anywhere in Bermuda.

I also enjoyed Bermuda over many caribbean islands due to the standard of living and friendly people. Bermuda has some great sites and beaches and is small enough that you can explore the entire island. We bought a bus pass and saw everything we wanted to during our 3 days on the island. The great bus system allowed us to make our own excursions and save a ton of money.

When we were in town, we were looking at a map and a business man approached us asking if he could help us find something -- the people are so friendly there! When we went to the Bahamas, we had people following us around begging to braid our hair or sell us stuff or straight out asking for money -- it was SO annoying!! I'd take Bermuda over Bahamas anyday.

I've been to Bermuda 8 times (all on cruises) and absolutely love the island. If you want to sight see they have museums, forts, churches etc. And if you are a beach person you couldn't ask for more beautiful clean beaches. But the best part of Bermuda is the people.....they are the most friendly, courteous and helpful people that you will ever meet. Check out the Bermuda Dept. of Tourism on line....they will give you loads of info. Hope you decide to go......you will have a wonderful time!!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Joilee 329. It is really nice to be in one port for three or four days. We did go on the Regent from New York and it was a small ship so we were able to dock right in Town.

The Regent was called the Radison when we went. It was a little pricey, but was worth it. I think that was a one time deal since they don't seem to leave from New York or New Jersey.

We are planning to go again soon. It is my favorite Island.

Bermuda was great because:

CLEAN

No poverty that you can see

No begging

normal taxi drivers (got a GREAT tour the other day in St. George)

Did I say clean ?? try that in the Caribbean

Larry

safe (police don't even carry guns) clean and beautiful, friendly yet reserved residents. beautiful water, reefs and beaches, good diving.

Triangle Dive Shop does a good job.

Great transportation system.

If you want to experience Bermuda this is a great way to do it as we looked into lodging and other expenses of flying and staying and it was quite pricey.

Small and Populated islands so not a lot of hiking other than the beaches which are did I mention beautiful.

You can stay busy for three days. This is the first cruise we have taken that stayed in port for several days and it was really nice. Gave you a chance to do things without feeling rushed and to experience the real culture of the islands which you really do not get when in port for 7 or so hours.

We actually are talking about doing a Hawaii cruise next for that reason as the ships stay in port over night/

...Friendly, courteous people who actually seem to welcome your presence there...gorgeous beaches...interesting history...a great dolphin facility...the Swizzle Inn...cool caves...a "Bobby" directing traffic in Hamilton...Bermuda shorts!

I think the better question is what ISN'T special about Bermuda? :-)

I lived there for five years, and just cruised back a month ago to get married, so believe me, it's one wonderful island.

For the hiker in you, along the South Shore all the beaches are connected by a rugged walking path. A GREAT way to see all the beaches and the surrounding area that can only be reached by foot.

There are a number of forts (St. Catherine's, Hamilton, Scaur) that are not only rich in history, but also in nature and greenery. Well worth seeing.

The Crystal and Fantasy Caves are phenomenal, and not to be missed.

Because the island is surrounded by reefs, there is amazing snorkling. I haven't done it myself, but friends went wreck diving last month during the cruise and were amazed by what they saw. I have managed to see numerous schools of fish just by wading in the water.

St. George's is rich in British Heritage, as is the Naval Dockyard at the western end of the island. St George's is by far the better site to see, but regardless of the negative comments commonly left in regards to Dockyard, I wouldn't pass up the chance to give it a visit.

The only word of warning I would give you is in regards to sailing in October. It is hurricane season, and the weather might not cooperate. But regardless of whether you are met with sunny or cloudy skies, the island will more than make up for any shortcomings with the weather.

• 1 month later...

Not only is Bermuda incredibly beautiful but it truly is very clean and no matter where I have been on the island, I always felt safe. The people are friendly and polite. The entire way of life is so much more calm and relaxed than in the States. Example: I was at an intersection in Hamilton waiting for the light to cross the street. All of the traffic stopped, in both directions before the light changed, to let me cross. That would never happen here! On my first trip, I was amazed how employees of stores would strike up a conversation with every customer and seemed to go out of their way to make sure every purchase was well wrapped if fragile but, as it turned out, this is just what they do on an everyday basis.

The beaches for snorkeling and diving are fabulous. The entire place is steeped in history. You can't go wrong in Bermuda!

We did Oct 2003 cruise to Bermuda. We did the "Don't Stop the Carnival" party which if you've never done a luau in Hawaii (we haven't) then I would think you'd like this. We got on a small ferry like boat and went out to the island and had the luau/hula dancers and buffet feast. Also, we swam in both Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay. And........we did GOLF!!! However, you may not be a golfer. That's ok, there's shopping, sightseeing and a perfume factory to see. Actually it's a small house with flowers in the backyard. You certainly get a British feeling here. Riding in a cab and going around a traffic circle completly the different direction than here was funny. Riding on the left side of the road was fun too. They have the smallest drawbridge in the world, but we didn't go over it.

We are considering booking a Bermuda cruise for fall of 2008. Tell me what to do there that makes it worth going only there on a cruise. Of course, I have done some research, but would like to hear from those who have sailed there. Here are some things we like: hiking and nature [me], diving and snorkeling [travel partner], British heritage [me], cultural and artistic activites [both]. We would be going in October or November.

a hike through spittal pond bird sanctuary would be right up your path i think. lots of spectacular views over the ocean and interesting rock formations. if you start at the western entrance and come out at the eastern entrance, you can continue the walk east along south shore road for about a half mile to john smith's bay beach for some good snorkelling

Tarheelbelle.

Isn't much more to be said that hasn't already been covered. If you do cruise to Bermuda, I recommend that you opt for the 7 days cruise. That ways you'll have about 3 and a half days in country, so to speak. After reading these posts I'm so keyed up, I wish I was going right now, but I've got to wait 'til October.

And after you had your Rum Swizzle or two or three, make sure you have at least one Dark & Stormy.

Pros: Bermuda has eveything you have listed. As you can see, all posts have been positive.

Cons: Can't think of anything.

We've been there the last 6 years in Oct. and are going again this Oct. The weather and water have always been great at this time of year. Nov. might be a bit chillier, bdaguy would have a better idea on that.

We did Oct 2003 cruise to Bermuda. We did the "Don't Stop the Carnival" party which if you've never done a luau in Hawaii (we haven't) then I would think you'd like this. We got on a small ferry like boat and went out to the island and had the luau/hula dancers and buffet feast.

Actually, according to this post a few days ago, the Don't Stop the Carnival excursion has gone out of business. But there are still plenty of things to do!

My biggest disappointment with a cruise to Bermuda is that the time is just too short... This is hard to explain... all my prior cruises were equal time vacations between the ship activities and the ports of call. The daily calendar was full (as full as I wanted it to be) with things to do on the ship, or in whatever port we happened to be visiting.

For me, Bermuda is much different. The ship is more a means of transportation and lodging, there for the purpose of providing my visit to Bermuda. Don't get me wrong, the ship is still great... I guess its almost like two completely different vacations, rather than having them mingled together. That might not make any sense at all... maybe if you are a big fan of Bermuda you will understand what I mean.

Theron

Fascinating discovery - the sand doesn't get hot in Bermuda. DH is a scientist/engineer and that is one thing he'll never forget. Pink sand and not burning the feet.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Theron, on a cruise, the time in Bermuda is too short. We got back from our first cruise on the 21st and that was our biggest complaint. We were traveling with a large family group and one of them put it this way, "this time the trip is about the cruise, the next time it will be about the destination." And we are already planning the next trip, flying to Bermuda, so we have more time. Bermuda is special. If you let it, it's magic will embrace you.

;)

Bermuda is a very classy Island. It is beautiful and very easy to get around and the people are very nice and we always feel very safe there. We have been there many times and always look forward to going back again which I can't say about most of the caribbean and other islands we have visited over the years.

Keith

Archived