2007 Princess Wine List

LARGIN

It really depends on the vintage, but practically any vintage of Caymus Special Selection at $145 is a decent buy at a liquor store and an outstanding purchase at a restaurant. I'd be at your table in a heartbeat, toni.

sonomaphil..,how on earth were you able to guess that so quickly? I thought I had hidden my secret well! LOL. The Caymus goes amazingly well with the cobb salad and chicken fingers ;)

MMMMMMM, Caymus and Riblets! :p

Thanks so much for posting the updated listing. Unfortunately, althought I much prefer fine reds, I must stick to the whites. Reds still can bring on a migraine. Hoping to grow out of that eventually.

We have found some lovely whites via Princess as well, anyone have the updated listing for those by any chance?

Oh man, we never did try the Murieta's. We had stopped at Sam's in LA before boarding the Regal. DH got carried away and bought 12 bottles of red. I sneaked a sparkler in with them. So on our 20 night cruise we only need to buy a few white wines from that nice list. Boy, were those meals great with the wines of our choosing.

The first night we asked the asst. waiter to pour our red wine in a water glass like we had done on the Grand. He said no way, and produced a "wine glass". Larger and thin glasses, we were thrilled. The glasses were on our table waiting each night when we arrived to dinner. very nice!

Cheers!

MMMMMMM, Caymus and Riblets! :p

I really did LOL when I saw this!

I'm thinking a bottle may be in order for a dinner at Sterlings next month. Maybe something chocolate for dessert to finish the bottle (a fine match that many do not realize....cabernet & chocolate). Sonomaphil....I see you went for the Caymus Cab and not Special Selection. A better value for the $$?

Malbec (Argentina and Chile) is approximately the same blend. We love these wines :) .

Chris

I love the Meritage blends also & have for a long time. But SHHH on Chile. Some of the best wine values out there are coming from Chile. Casillero Del Diablo Carminere (& Cabernet) and LaJoya Cabernet for the $8 a bottle range. Fantastic buys.

The list is great info, but I fail to see the 'excitement' here, (2 pages full), for a wine list, without VINTAGES.

For those un-wine-educated, that's the year the bottle was bottled...

For example, a Brunello, bottled in, say 2001, is a deal for $55.00, and then some, but in a bad year, it is wholly overpriced.

I love sailing Princess, but in comparison to both X n HAL, the pratice of not providing a sommelier at dinner and/or supplying a wine list that does not list years, is quite pathetic. I won't even go into the lack of decanteurs on-board on my recent Star sailing...

So, list is great, but worthless, without vintages (lol)

jc

Toronto

I whole heartedly agree with your remarks about the lack of Vintages on the wine list. However, you can ask about the vintage before you purchase and if you purchase wine or even bring your own vintage wine you can ask that it be decanted. However, most wines served on board do not require decanting as they are either not old enough or not so young that they will benefit from it.

We just get a bottle of the California Woodbridge Twin Oaks Chardie for dinner most nights, just drinkable, see it is still $20..with Aust $ now worth 86 cents US, the more you drink the more you save, that's my theory anyway. Anyone got the beer list ? Wines are still pricey on the ships though compared to restaurants here.

Cheers...hic:p

Thanks so much for posting the updated listing. Unfortunately, althought I much prefer fine reds, I must stick to the whites. Reds still can bring on a migraine. Hoping to grow out of that eventually.

We have found some lovely whites via Princess as well, anyone have the updated listing for those by any chance?

Check the list again as there are some nice whites listed. One of my favorites is the Chassagne-Montrachet $56.00. Evidentally it's good enough to be listed tiwce:D

CActusrose,

Right you are!! I started looking too far down the list for the old standby, Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio. They have a pretty steep markup on it, based on what we pay locally for a bottle. Oh well.

I think we will still tote a small supply of bubbly and white on board to enjoy our balcony.

I really did LOL when I saw this!

I'm thinking a bottle may be in order for a dinner at Sterlings next month. Maybe something chocolate for dessert to finish the bottle (a fine match that many do not realize....cabernet & chocolate). Sonomaphil....I see you went for the Caymus Cab and not Special Selection. A better value for the $$?

Big time! The Caymus regular bottling is a very consistent wine year to year. The SS has a tendency to vary from year to year greatly, IMHO.

Princess appears to want to make about $10-$25 per bottle. MUCH less of a markup over retail than any restaurant in the nation! (OK don't try and prove me wrong here!) Most of the Princess wine list is a screaming value over any restaurant wine list at the higher end.

If you've never had the Caymus SS there is no better time than a dinner at Sterlings to try it!

For those interested... Enjoy ... This is a partial listing...

This is an extremely helpful posting.

Sylvester Kiara Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon $24.00 is one of the best red wines at any price! It is full-bodied with a dark purple color. It has a great nose, long legs and a lingering taste. We liked it so much on the Crown Princess that we ordered it three out of nine nights!

For those interested... Enjoy ... This is a partial listing...

While on the subject of wine, I would like to share some of my experience with corkage charges. I noticed that other people who brought their own bottle of wine to dinner the first night out were charged the $15 corkage charge, which I consider reasonable for the service provided. However, for the first three nights on board, we purchased wines from the wine list. Then, when we brought our own bottle to the table on a night later in the cruise, the corkage charge was overlooked. We have done the same on Holland America with similar results.

emileg.. I agree.. We always buy from the wine list on the first few nights then bring in one of our own. With the exception of one cruise, which I fault the inexperience of the Head Waiter and waiter, we have never paid corkage. Usually on a 10 day cruise we bring 3-4 bottles, on a 15 day around 5-6.

How do you avoid the $15 corkage in the Dining room ? Corrupt the waiter by slinging him a 20 on the first night ? Oh dear..you are defrauding Princess !!:rolleyes: Oh..and do not forget ye olde wine cask (box of wine, whatever) in the packed luggage, very handy to put in the cabin fridge.

Bribery and Corruption not good.:mad:

Cheers:cool:

How do you avoid the $15 corkage in the Dining room ? Corrupt the waiter by slinging him a 20 on the first night ? Oh dear..you are defrauding Princess !!:rolleyes: Oh..and do not forget ye olde wine cask (box of wine, whatever) in the packed luggage, very handy to put in the cabin fridge.

Bribery and Corruption not good.:mad:

Cheers:cool:

This post seems to ask a question and imply that someone has been talking earlier about bribing the waiter. IMHO there is a big difference between bribing a waiter and not getting charged a corkage fee.

Our experience has been that the first night we usually buy a white wine. From then on some nights we get charged a corkage fee and some nights we don't. My personal code of honesty does not require me to remind the waiter to charge me a corkage fee. I trust that they know their business and how their ship impliments Princess policies.

I believe the confusion started with people sharing experiences which I appreciate. Thanks for the help!

PS, we too liked the Slyvester as a good value, but not so much the Wood bridge that was mentioned earlier. Of the two, Slyvester gets my nod.

The list is great info, but I fail to see the 'excitement' here, (2 pages full), for a wine list, without VINTAGES.

For those un-wine-educated, that's the year the bottle was bottled...

jc

Toronto

Actually it is the year of the grape crop not the year of bottling, which can easily run a calendar year or 2 later when taking barrel aging into consideration. This is especially true for big reds.

No Charles Shaw selections (2 buck Chuck)? I love their Merlot. Great wine for $2 a bottle. Ravenswood Merlot 2003-04 is another great value in most larger markets at $7 a bottle. :D

We just got 2 buck chuck in ATL.. can't do it. The wine list is mediocre as far as selection IMHO but the pricing is more than fair. I drink Seghesio on occasion and it's an $18 mark from the pricing in our area. From what I can see is Princess has about a 15-25 $ markup... not too bad.

I too would like to see some Vintages. I'm going on the Emerald and they have a seperate wine bar. I heard the wine list is much more comprehensive.... Does anyone have the Emerald wine bar list?

CuriousCat

I'm confused...is everyone comparing the pricing on the ship to retail pricing in liqour/wine stores? I have a hard time believing that most restaurants would be under any of these prices. Retail pricing and restaurant pricing are totally different.

Archived