Can the kids stay on the ship?

Ships do not allow children that young off the ship alone. I saw that in Bermuda last year when 2 16 year olds tried getting off the ship and were denied. Rightfully so too.

She said that one son is 5'9" and 150 pounds, they won't consider him a young child, he's as big as any adult man and could leave the ship at any time if he chose.

She said that one son is 5'9" and 150 pounds' date=' they won't consider him a young child, he's as big as any adult man and could leave the ship at any time if he chose.[/b']

That's what I was thinking too. Knowing how much everyone is in a hurry to get off the ship and how fast they keep that line moving, what is to stop them from allowing them to debark? The staff could just assume the adults in front of them are with them.

And I thought I've read here that they have left teens off. Remember that one group of teens that got off in Jamaica....was told that it was LEGAL to smoke marijuana in Jamaica, then they were promptly arrested and placed in jail for the weekend. :eek:

Not saying it would happen to your kids nrh322 but I guess the other teens just all got together on board the ship...then doing what they do in a group (act dumb...lol) someone came up with the novel idea of getting off the ship and then they were approached by the locals.

I gotta find that one post here where the parents all posted the crazy things their "responsible" teenagers did onboard.

I would not leave 2 teens on the ship whether they are honor students or not. I remember reading on here in the last month or so of someone who took one seapass of his 2 kids that were left on board in port so they couldn't get off the ship. The kids went and got a new card made and left the ship. Maybe that poster will see this thread and confirm it.

If they are little and can be left in AO, I've done it. After they are too old for it? I'd trust em as far as I can throw em. I'm not gonig to give my boys the option of staying on the ship alone, on my next cruise. They eitehr get off, or don't go. I know it sounds harsh, but I left them in AO last time, at their insistance. They missed other cultures and that's one of the reasons we cruise. We're going in the fall and they're getting off the ship. Kicking and screaming, but off! LOL!

I'd be very suspicious of kids the OP's age going it alone for a day. A couple of hours? Maybe. Probably not.

This is probably going a bit too far' date=' we shouldn't always assume that there is a sexual preditor around every corner. But I am a living witness that children will test their boundaries and my girls were all honor roll students too and 3 of the sweetest girls in Houston. Please try not to leave your boys unsupervised in such a new and exotic place, there are temptations at every corner. Let us know how everything turns out. I wish you well and hope that you have a most wonderful time on your cruise.[/b']

If it is going too far then why are there sexual assults filed all the time on the ships. Many are kept under wraps. My hubby worked for RCCL and now NCL, and there is more truth to what I say than you know. Heck even on land it is out of control, just watch the news.

If it is going too far then why are there sexual assults filed all the time on the ships. Many are kept under wraps. My hubby worked for RCCL and now NCL, and there is more truth to what I say than you know. Heck even on land it is out of control, just watch the news.

Thanks Nitra for the information. All the more reason she should reconsider leaving the boys alone. There are no "perfect" teenagers. They are at the age where trying new and different things are irresistable, especially on a cruise ship.

OP, it sounds like you are trying to convince everyone else that is will be okay. Only you can make that decision. Since you've asked for opinions, I will give you mine. I have a 13 YO, starting high school in the fall...175 pounds and 5'9"...and we were on a cruise in March...he didn't want to get off the ship in a port when the rest of the family was. We decided we all stay or we all go and we talked him into it. He did hang out with friends he had met at the teen club and didn't hang out with us that much, but we made him find us and check in every hour. One time he did not check in for two hours and my husband scoured that ship looking for him and he was in trouble. We were worried and starting to get a bit frantic at that point and I can't imagine how you could have fun on a dive knowing they are on the ship without you. What if one of them got hurt and needed stitches or other medical care and they could not get ahold of you. Even though they are big boys, if that happened, they would want their mom. Also, GOD forbid, what if something happened to one of you...and you could not get back to the ship. The ship might leave without you and then your boys would be on the ship alone.

No judgements, just my opinion. Go with your gut. If you are on here asking questions and pleading your case, go with your gut.

If they won't let us put some sort of $$ cap on their seapass cards, we won't see them all week! :p

If they were my children (which they aren't), just to be safe I would pay for their S&S cards with cash. Put maybe a small amount on and let them know it has to last them X amount of days. If they spend it all early, then they're SOL and have to wait until the X amount of days is up for another amount to be applied to their card. You can be sure they're going to be more careful the next time an amount is put on their card. It's a great way to teach them budgeting, as well as responsibility and it's a great way to give them freedom but within reason. In all reality, if you buy the soda card and they're getting free food there isn't much more a teen would need on an S&S card since they can't gamble, and can't drink.

As far as your leaving them on the ship, I think it can work out with careful planning. Since you may not be able to get them dive certified before your cruise, maybe you could allow them to stay on the ship PROVIDED they stay in the teen club the entire time. They get to stay on the ship away from mom and dad, they get to have fun, and they are being somewhat supervised. I would definately lay the groundwork for this one, because it has the potential for working in everyone's favor. Weigh out all the "if" factors, what if you missed getting back to the ship for some reason (it happens), what if something happened to one of them and you weren't there (not saying it would, but could), and make sure they know what to do if something happens. It's like coming up with a safety plan at home if there's an emergency and you're not with them. If you all understand the rules and agree to them (including laying out the consequences if they do get into monkey business while you're not there), I think it would be a really nice thing for all involved. You know your children better than anyone, so only you can make this decision. I like looking at situations like this as great lessons for kids, and I think they can definately benefit and grow from some fairly big responsibilities (staying on a ship without you). I love seeing my kids thrive when put in situations that require maturity and responsibility within reason, and it lets me know that I'm giving them the tools to become responsible adults. It teaches them to make good choices, and deal with consequences of their actions if need be.

Good luck!

I know you believe your boys to be well behaved and mature but there is so much that can happen. The biggest thing to remember is that you are in a foreign country. If for any reason, you miss the ship are you comfortable with the boys going on to the next port untill you can catch up with the ship? My niece's 2 boys were on a cruise with their dad at spring break and one of them hurt his knee horsing around. The ship had to return to port as the ship's doctor would not approve of them continuing. They almost had to do a medvac flight to get him home. As it was, the dad and son had to fly home commercial while the rest of the family continued on. It doesn't happen often but do you want it to happen if you are not there? Things are just so different when you are out of the country. If you can't get the boys certified for the dive, is there a change they could snorkel while y'all dive? At least you would be together. If not, then the kids activities seem the best route.

Just my $.02 and YMMV!

This is not meant to scare the OP, just to give a heads up, we were on a Carnival Cruise and in the port of Cozumel, My oldest son then 15 asked if he could stay on board I was not comfortable with this so I made him come with us, he was glad he did, there was a bomb threat at the duty free, they locked down the port, no one on the ship no one off the ship, we were scheduled to leave port at 5:00 we didn't set sail until Midnight, fortunately it was only a threat from a local person and the outcome was fine, but if I had let him stay he would not have known what was happening with us he would have been alone in a foreign port. I understand you want to get your dive in but when traveling with children, not matter how well behave they are and well they do in school, it is not a good idea to leave them behind, My son is now 18 and just Graduated High School, we have a June trip planned we are taking 3 of his friends all 18, they will not be left alone on the ship thier idea not ours. Have a great Cruise, but please pick another excursion and enjoy your childrens company.

Thanks Nitra for the information. All the more reason she should reconsider leaving the boys alone. There are no "perfect" teenagers. They are at the age where trying new and different things are irresistable' date=' especially on a cruise ship.[/b']

I was a "perfect" teenager!! :D :D :D

This is probably going a bit too far' date=' we shouldn't always assume that there is a sexual preditor around every corner. But I am a living witness that children will test their boundaries and my girls were all honor roll students too and 3 of the sweetest girls in Houston. Please try not to leave your boys unsupervised in such a new and exotic place, there are temptations at every corner. Let us know how everything turns out. I wish you well and hope that you have a most wonderful time on your cruise.[/b']

Just my 2 cents, in this day and age you HAVE to assume the worst is around every corner. Did you recently hear on the news about the sting with Miss America? Well one of the guys snagged on it and shown on America's most wanted was a neighbor for many years and my son used to hang out with his son when they were younger. The guy is outwardly mister upstanding with a successful local business, active in the Boy Scouts, a long time member of the fire dept with three sons. When the story broke we were all shocked as this is a man I have known for 17 years.

To the OP,

There was a thread sometime last year about a family who left the ship without the kids and then they (parents) missed the ship. Their kids were younger but it is a point to take into consideration.

I could not find the original thread I was talking about. But I did find the thread from parents that set some rules for the kids. It may help ya. One poster says that the kids can get off the ship at age 12. :eek: Wonder if anyone can confirm this?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=407850&highlight=teen

Thanks for that link. We are on the Mariner in June and will have our 16 yr old son with us on his first cruise. We have had many conversations with him about what is allowed and not allowed. He is a good kid, honor roll, National Honor Society, on the road to Eagle Scout, but he is also 16. He will be in port with us on excursions that the whole family can enjoy together. I don't want to put him into a situation that could ruin our vacation.

I am hesitant about posting this, especially since my husband and father read my posts, every now and then, but here goes.

I don't care how good the grades, how smart the kid, how thoughtful, a teenagers number one job is to lull you into a false sense of security and pounce. At least that's what I did. My father doesn't know half the nonsense I was up to as a teen and I am darn lucky to be alive. My mom passed away and was home every night, taking care of my family and out the door as soon as they were asleep.

Not that every kid is that way, but no one would have suspected me of being a wild child at heart. I was pretty good at home, but on vacation? Let's just say I didn't tell all the guys I met my real age, when I was sixteen, and leave it at that.

I'm not saying not to trust your kid. Okay, I'm saying not to trust your kid. I'm saying to not trust, with a little trust. Enough rope so they don't feel the knots. At least that's my plan. Cause two of mine are just like me and I'm in real trouble here.

Again, this is going to be a very personal decision. The OP is putting a lot of thought into it, or they would not be here.

First off you have your guide take you up into the mountains in Jamaica, never get your Marijuana right at the port or in town. Geesh. Oh and smoke it before you get back to the ship. Oh wait, nevermind. :D

You are in a foreign country the moment you set foot on the ship. Remember that always. I am not comfortable when parents say they will let their under 18 year old have the run of the ship or their younger 9 and up have sign out privileges in the club. Too many corners to go, to hide, to abduct someone. And yes boys are targets of predators as well.

Nothing would stop a herd of people with your kids in it from knowing if they are with the couple in front of them or behind them. Then they are off the ship and you have no idea about it.

Another thought, can the kids go along and just stay on the dive boat? I know people do this on the snorkel excursions if they dont want to snorkel. It would give them an idea of what goes on above the water and what is involved. Again you have to trust your children to strangers but at least they are on the boat with you when you come up. Maybe they could snorkel the area?

I am hesitant about posting this, especially since my husband and father read my posts, every now and then, but here goes.

I don't care how good the grades, how smart the kid, how thoughtful, a teenagers number one job is to lull you into a false sense of security and pounce. At least that's what I did. My father doesn't know half the nonsense I was up to as a teen and I am darn lucky to be alive. My mom passed away and was home every night, taking care of my family and out the door as soon as they were asleep.

Not that every kid is that way, but no one would have suspected me of being a wild child at heart. I was pretty good at home, but on vacation? Let's just say I didn't tell all the guys I met my real age, when I was sixteen, and leave it at that.

I'm not saying not to trust your kid. Okay, I'm saying not to trust your kid. I'm saying to not trust, with a little trust. Enough rope so they don't feel the knots. At least that's my plan. Cause two of mine are just like me and I'm in real trouble here.

Again, this is going to be a very personal decision. The OP is putting a lot of thought into it, or they would not be here.

Well said. I trust my son but I also know he is going to be in a new environment with people he has never met before. I don't know what any of the other kids his age are allowed to do and I really don't care. He will follow our rules or he will be with face the consequences. The kids in our neighborhood think I am a mean mother because my son has rules he has to follow and a curfew he has to meet. I can live with that.:)

Well said. I trust my son but I also know he is going to be in a new environment with people he has never met before. I don't know what any of the other kids his age are allowed to do and I really don't care. He will follow our rules or he will be with face the consequences. The kids in our neighborhood think I am a mean mother because my son has rules he has to follow and a curfew he has to meet. I can live with that.:)

Mema,

Would you leave them on the ship alone at that age while you went off on an excursion?[/COLOR]

Another thought, can the kids go along and just stay on the dive boat? I know people do this on the snorkel excursions if they dont want to snorkel. It would give them an idea of what goes on above the water and what is involved. Again you have to trust your children to strangers but at least they are on the boat with you when you come up. Maybe they could snorkel the area?

I don't know, but I sure wish I could find out. This is one of many questions that I've been trying to get RCCL to answer for me. Some others are....

Who is the instructor on the ship? May I contact them by email or phone prior to sailing? Are they available for private instruction for my children? What is their level of expertise? What is their instructor # (I can find out if they have actions pending against them through their cert. agency).? If we pay for the kids to get cert. on the boat, can we pay to go with them on their checkout dives and just dive for fun in the general area? And so on... So far, neither myself nor my travel agent has been able to get anyone from RCCL to respond. I'd prefer not to leave our plans up in the air until we get on the boat... if for no other reason than it's a LOT of stuff to pack if we aren't going to use it. The divers here might understand.

In response to a couple other things that have been mentioned...

It is my understanding that on ship sponsored shore excursions, there is no danger of being left behind...even if the excursion runs late. I've been diving since the mid-80's and have logged dives well into the thousands. I've been on enough late running dive boats that I wouldn't even consider booking a dive trip with an independent operator. So... unless someone can tell me that I'm wrong about the not getting left behind thing, that's not an issue.

Secondly, I really do appreciate what I consider to be genuine concern for the safety of my kids from the people here that are responding to my original question. I'm choosing to ignore what seem to be uncalled for attacks on my parenting skills or lack thereof. You don't know me, nor do I know you, so let's try not to be judgmental, shall we?

I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't have concerns myself. It certainly wouldn't be an ideal situation and I'm hesitant (at best) to put the kids in those circumstances. If it comes to a point where we don't feel as though our kids would be safe, we abort the dive. Like I said, I've been diving for a long time... missing one isn't going to kill me. My DH is a new diver, however, and he will be bummed. That's why I'm trying to find a way to make this work out for everyone.

I don't know, but I sure wish I could find out. This is one of many questions that I've been trying to get RCCL to answer for me. Some others are....

Who is the instructor on the ship? May I contact them by email or phone prior to sailing? Are they available for private instruction for my children? What is their level of expertise? What is their instructor # (I can find out if they have actions pending against them through their cert. agency).? If we pay for the kids to get cert. on the boat, can we pay to go with them on their checkout dives and just dive for fun in the general area? And so on... So far, neither myself nor my travel agent has been able to get anyone from RCCL to respond. I'd prefer not to leave our plans up in the air until we get on the boat... if for no other reason than it's a LOT of stuff to pack if we aren't going to use it. The divers here might understand.

It is my understanding that on ship sponsored shore excursions, there is no danger of being left behind...even if the excursion runs late. I've been diving since the mid-80's and have logged dives well into the thousands. I've been on enough late running dive boats that I wouldn't even consider booking a dive trip with an independent operator. So... unless someone can tell me that I'm wrong about the not getting left behind thing, that's not an issue.

Secondly, I really do appreciate what I consider to be genuine concern for the safety of my kids from the people here that are responding to my original question. I'm choosing to ignore what seem to be uncalled for attacks on my parenting skills or lack thereof. You don't know me, nor do I know you, so let's try not to be judgmental, shall we?

I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't have concerns myself. It certainly wouldn't be an ideal situation and I'm hesitant (at best) to put the kids in those circumstances. If it comes to a point where we don't feel as though our kids would be safe, we abort the dive. Like I said, I've been diving for a long time... missing one isn't going to kill me. My DH is a new diver, however, and he will be bummed. That's why I'm trying to find a way to make this work out for everyone.

There is no guarantee that the ship will not leave without you, even if on their sponsored tour. There were two couples left in Grand Cayman a few weeks back, that were on a ship sponsored tour. They too thought it was impossible.

What will happen, is that they will make sure you are given air arrangements to the next port of call, but that is about the only guarantee.

The ships have a certain time they have to leave port, with or without all the passengers. To overstay their time, means heavy port fines. Much heavier than paying a few airfares.

Hope this information helps you somewhat.

I have avoided commenting on your plans for obvious reasons, but there are scuba operators that will take you scuba diving combined with taking the kids snorkeling, during your surface time between dives. This would give you a chance to snorkel with the kids and dive at the same time. I think leaving the kids on the ship is fraught with problems and I can't recommend it. The diving in Cozumel is beautiful as it is mostly drift diving and you feel like you are flying over coral formations. Really shouldn't be missed.

jc

Archived