Booking Hell!!!!! Has This Happened To You???

Booked another cruise, while on board. The booking agent, was (it seemed) very stressed because, as she put it...."Everyone waits until the last day to book future cruises, and I feel so hurried!"

My problem? I don't think so.....however, my DH and I felt the "rush act" but we didn't want to lose the cabin we wanted so we booked with her.

I told her that I wanted to transfer this booking with my personal TA (when we got home) and would that be difficult to do? She reassured me it would not!

Well, she assumed the TA would be the one we had booked the present cruise with and it's not. We've selected someone else......I didn't notice what she had written down on the paper (it was the present TA) and now that I'm trying to move it to my current TA.....don't ask!!!!!

HAL refuses to move it until I have it released from the TA she wrote down! I called the TA (that is written down and they wanted to charge me a cancellation fee of $50 pp!) Now, you know why I want to move!

I insisted on speaking with the owner and told him I was unhappy with his service and want to transfer the booking to another agent. He asked why and I told him the sordid details (I'll spare you!)

After much constirnation & explanation (on my part), he said he would release the booking (by calling HAL ,direct-and he would NOT charge me for the cancellation. (Good move on his part, don't you think?) The future booking is in April of 2008- He advised me to give it 24 hours to clear....

Do you think I should have been put through so much "haggeling" in order to spend my money...my way?????

What's up with these "blood thirsty" TA's. Is business that cut throat? Or, am I just out of touch?

I will call my TA of choice and ask him to call HAL for the information!

Sorry for the long post.......this is a first TA issue for me.

ADVICE: When booking, on board. Be careful that they don't write in the TA's name.....just in case you change your mind.

??QUESTION??: Do they have to write the name of the TA Agency, in all bookings made, while on board???????

I have to wonder, since the Future Cruise Consultant program was expanded to every sailing, if the current crop of consultants have gathered the kind of experience they need.

On the Noordam in January I wanted to book a cruise for next January. I knew the exact ship, date, cabin #, and dining time I wanted. Very simple, very easy. The FCC got very confused.

One thing I did notice was that she was going to assign the booking to the TA who had the current booking. I had to sign a paper removing that TA from the assignment. Just saying so didn't cut it.

I recently booked on board and told them that I didn't want to use my current travel agent as I was thinking of using another TA. I had to sign a form stating that I wished to use HAL as my travel agent and to put down the reason I didn't want to use my current TA. I put on the form that I was planning on using a local TA and would transfer the booking once I returned home. The on board cruise consultant said there would be no problem transferring it at that time. I guess I will see how it goes when I actually do the transfer.

The on board consultant said that this form had to be filled out when you didn't want the cruise to be given to your existing TA. The reason was that HAL didn't want to be accused of stealing business from another agent.

We plan to make future bookings while on Maasdam but aren't sure which ship/date. I think we'll put down deposits for a few future unknown cruises, name HAL as TA choose later whatever we want to do with the bookings.

People have commented here that 'regular deposits' have risen considerably so it makes sense to take advantage of low deposit while aboard.

Rox......So sorry what you had to go through but it doesn't shock me. There are some pretty crummy, greedy, unprofessional TA's out there. There are also some excellent ones. Lucky for you that you got rid of the 'crummy one'.

I agree....I also think that we need to be careful when booking, onboard.

Be sure that the Booking agent writes the contract without you having an agent (if they can) so that if you elect to make a change of TA's....you don't go through what I did!

Such drama......but it's so worth it......just to get onboard a ship!!!!:D

I'm so hooked! I need a 12-step/one plank program........:cool:

It never should have happened, IMO, Roz.

This future cruise consultant had no business ASSuming you were going to use the same TA. It was for her to specifically ask who you wanted....if you wanted one named at all.

It wasn't for her to ASSume anything.

Booked another cruise, while on board. The booking agent, was (it seemed) very stressed because, as she put it...."Everyone waits until the last day to book future cruises, and I feel so hurried!"

My problem? I don't think so.....however, my DH and I felt the "rush act" but we didn't want to lose the cabin we wanted so we booked with her.

I told her that I wanted to transfer this booking with my personal TA (when we got home) and would that be difficult to do? She reassured me it would not!

Well, she assumed the TA would be the one we had booked the present cruise with and it's not. We've selected someone else......I didn't notice what she had written down on the paper (it was the present TA) and now that I'm trying to move it to my current TA.....don't ask!!!!!

HAL refuses to move it until I have it released from the TA she wrote down! I called the TA (that is written down and they wanted to charge me a cancellation fee of $50 pp!) Now, you know why I want to move!

I insisted on speaking with the owner and told him I was unhappy with his service and want to transfer the booking to another agent. He asked why and I told him the sordid details (I'll spare you!)

After much constirnation & explanation (on my part), he said he would release the booking (by calling HAL ,direct-and he would NOT charge me for the cancellation. (Good move on his part, don't you think?) The future booking is in April of 2008- He advised me to give it 24 hours to clear....

Do you think I should have been put through so much "haggeling" in order to spend my money...my way?????

What's up with these "blood thirsty" TA's. Is business that cut throat? Or, am I just out of touch?

I will call my TA of choice and ask him to call HAL for the information!

Sorry for the long post.......this is a first TA issue for me.

ADVICE: When booking, on board. Be careful that they don't write in the TA's name.....just in case you change your mind.

??QUESTION??: Do they have to write the name of the TA Agency, in all bookings made, while on board???????

Roz,

This happened to Rev Neal. Same issue I believe where it got automatically transfered to the last TA he used and they wanted him to pay a cancelation fee when he never authorized or booked the cruise in question with them. Well, he can explain his own story. I think he made sure it did not happen again.

What I want to know is how to get around this (when I book on board) and get HAL to hold the booking with one of their Personal Cruise Consultants until if and when we (you) decide to transfer it to another TA. I don't care if it's 6 months later. That gives us the option to wait until someone is offering something such as better price, pinnacle grille dinner, etc.

Btw, if HAL made you cancel and "rebook" (or was it just transfered back?) are they going to honor the on-board $100 per person deposit as well as whatever OBC incentive, since they may give you a new booking number?

Since you can't name the TA anyway, exactly what happened? Was it just bad customer service, or misrepresentation of all costs including port charges (which someone mentioned one TA had done).

The way around it is to read the paper you are give and be sure the information on it is as you want it to be.

You tell the Future Cruise Consultant what you want; (s)he does not tell you.

If you want to name same TA you used for the cruise you are on, say so. If you want a different one, say so.

We have now been alerted that this problem can occur if we don't look at the papers we are given. You don't have to name any TA. Tell them you will leave it as an HAL booking. You can always remove it from HAL at anytime you wish.

Let me say at the outset that I'm a TA. I'm not taking sides on this issue. I merely wish to state what is cruise line policy - ANY cruise line, not simply HAL - when you do an onboard booking.

When you make an onboard booking, that booking automatically gets credited to the travel agent of record for the current cruise you're on, UNLESS you state that you do not want to use the same agent. Then, while on board, you designate the agent of your choice with full address, name and telephone number, or the cruise line itself. Depending on the cruise line, you probably will have forms to sign. But it is the cruiser's responsibility to request a change at the time of the onboard booking. Do I think a cruise line should clarify all this with a guest? Yes I do.

Unfortunately, many do not read the fine print when choosing a local agency, an agency that's part of nationwide group or an internet agency. Many now DO charge a non-refundable service fee should you cancel or make changes to your booking. Buyer beware. There used to be a very well-known agency that - if you read the fine print - charged a non-refundable $200.00 fee for cancellation. I don't know if they still do.

But I hope this will be helpful information for those making onboard future cruise bookings. If you wish to change from the agency who booked your current cruise, you must so inform the onboard cruise consultant at the time of your new booking(s).

The way around it is to read the paper you are give and be sure the information on it is as you want it to be.

You tell the Future Cruise Consultant what you want; (s)he does not tell you.

If you want to name same TA you used for the cruise you are on, say so. If you want a different one, say so.

We have now been alerted that this problem can occur if we don't look at the papers we are given. You don't have to name any TA. Tell them you will leave it as an HAL booking. You can always remove it from HAL at anytime you wish.

Sail, Thanks!

You are right. CC members need to know to just sign to leave the booking with HAL. Especially when booking over a year in advance, that gives us the chance to transfer when we see something better, like those OBCs and Pinnacle Grille dinners :)

CrystalLady.....

Thanks for your clarification. Read the paper(s) we are given is the best message.

I think the TA should have released the booking without all the tapdance. They had done absolutely nothing.

JMHO....... pure greed and hard feelings they were no longer going to be this client's TA for whatever reason.

The booking was not cancelled with HAL....only the TA that HAL wrote on the booking.......

My new TA will be calling HAL in the morning to make sure that the transfer is complete.

I have not been given a new booking number, as of yet and HAL will certainly make good on all incentives or you'll hear me from L.A. to NY!!!

And, in answer to "read it all before you sign!" I did and no where did it have my past TA's name on it. As a matter of fact, I specifically was told that changing TA's would not be a problem. I just needed to sign the contract stating that I was changing TA's. What happened to that contract?

The one I received about a week later had the past TA's name on it.....hence, the problem!

Live and learn! :rolleyes:

Let me say at the outset that I'm a TA. I'm not taking sides on this issue. I merely wish to state what is cruise line policy - ANY cruise line, not simply HAL - when you do an onboard booking.

When you make an onboard booking, that booking automatically gets credited to the travel agent of record for the current cruise you're on, UNLESS you state that you do not want to use the same agent. Then, while on board, you designate the agent of your choice with full address, name and telephone number, or the cruise line itself. Depending on the cruise line, you probably will have forms to sign. But it is the cruiser's responsibility to request a change at the time of the onboard booking. Do I think a cruise line should clarify all this with a guest? Yes I do.

Unfortunately, many do not read the fine print when choosing a local agency, an agency that's part of nationwide group or an internet agency. Many now DO charge a non-refundable service fee should you cancel or make changes to your booking. Buyer beware. There used to be a very well-known agency that - if you read the fine print - charged a non-refundable $200.00 fee for cancellation. I don't know if they still do.

But I hope this will be helpful information for those making onboard future cruise bookings. If you wish to change from the agency who booked your current cruise, you must so inform the onboard cruise consultant at the time of your new booking(s).

Crystal Lady, thank you for the inside information. Do you really have to sign off "We do not want to use x TA again". It seems kind of harsh wording. Will the TA be notified for some legal reason (so they do not think that the cruise line has stolen their business)?

I have a very good reason for wanting to know this information, especially when looking at booking on-board for a cruise over 12 months away. I want to make the decision WHEN to transfer (probably to the same TA). That way I have the option to do the transfer when their is a "Verandah Sale" or some other offering like OBC. I have already been through a related scenario and confused other CC members in the process. If HAL does the transfer, than I would need to cancel and rebook if suddenly the TA/Hal has a special offer and risk a problem with insurance, some of which only waive the pre-existing condition clause on the "first" booking of the same cruise.

I have not been given a new booking number, as of yet and HAL will certainly make good on all incentives or you'll hear me from L.A. to NY!!!

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you should get a new booking number for this. This was a transfer, not a cancellation and re-booking.

You should not have had to go through this, but you have, and hopefully it's now over. Thank you for reminding us to caveat emptor.

This is why everyone should read before signing / paying...;)

Don't let someone rush you because they are "stressed". It's their job. But, it's also your job to read before signing / paying.

Let us know how it works out, Roz? I'm thinking the same as Ruth that you should not be getting a new confirmation number and, therefore, the OBC etc should be undisturbed.

I am VERY disturbed that the paper you received did not indicate the name of the TA. There was no way for you to know if OnBoard Consultant had done as you requested or not if the TA's name did not show on the paperwork you were given.

Crystal Lady, thank you for the inside information. Do you really have to sign off "We do not want to use x TA again". It seems kind of harsh wording. Will the TA be notified for some legal reason (so they do not think that the cruise line has stolen their business)?

Changing TA's does not mean you need to cancel and rebook. What you are doing, while onboard, is simply stating that you wish to use a different TA for this onboard booking, OR that you want to designate the cruise line instead of the current TA. You are not obliged to give reasons other than stating that you want the change.

While writing my reply, I've seen the others. I confirm that transferring a booking from one agent to another should NOT involve cancelling/rebooking with a new Booking Number.

For some reason, my reply disappeared into cyberspace...

Transferring a booking, as others have now stated in the interim, does NOT involve cancelling/rebooking and getting a new booking number. You designate - while onboard - a different TA for your new, onboard booking, making it clear to the onboard cruise consultant that the new booking is to be handled by a different TA, not the one who booked the current cruise. You'll need to provide the name/address/phone number of the different TA. You do not have to go through a third degree as to why you're changing.

Well...now you have two replies. My missing one suddenly appeared. Sorry for the dual similar posts.

there is something very wrong with the future cruise consultants. We tried to book our next cruise when were on the Rotterdam last October. The consultant was (IMHO) useless. He had no information, no prices and no cabin availability. It seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else. I asked if there was a better time and he waffled.

This was before the $100 deposit or I would have pursued it further. We booked (with a new TA) after we got home.

I'm really frustrated with TA's. They are, for the most part, clueless. I can and do a better job of the bookings. Whenever I leave it in their hands something screws up.

The first time I booked onboard the OCC mentioned to me that XXX (the TA with whom I'd booked that cruise) would be receiving my booking. So as CrystalLady states this info is in their system and is your default TA ... until and unless you say otherwise. Unfortunately, not all OCCs will point this out.

Something to consider.......since we now have the option to make a future cruise deposit of $100 and get the onboard credit......maybe it would be better to just pay the $100 and call the TA of your choice once you get home to make the booking.

It sounds like some of the future cruise consultants are not doing a good job and creating more problems than they solve. When you buy a future cruise deposit, you are not commiting to HAL or any particular TA while onboard. If you are still looking for the best deal and not ready to commit to a TA but want to get the cabin of your choice, you can always call HAL and book with them......and then transfer at a later date.

Thus said, we did book a future cruise deposit in February and as yet have not tried to make a booking, so I can't honestly say that this is a good solution.....but hopefully it would be better than having a confrontation over cancellation fees with an ineffective TA.

I had an FCC who could have messed up a two-car funeral. I won't go into the details, but my TA and I were on e-mail at the same time and she was on the horn with HAL. btw: I received no paper that I can remember, not even a credit card receipt. The FCC had already messed up the couple ahead of me (her admission) and it took a week for her to book my cruise, even though I gave her all the info she needed. She still messed it up and I left it up to my TA to fix things up; I was just too disgusted. The $25 OBC was not worth it.

Groan...... this is miserable to read.

We had intended to make a few future cruise bookings while aboard Maasdam next month. May have to second think this plan.

I don't have any interest in dealing with a FCC who will give me aggravation during my vacation. At least we have a heads up to double check everything they do.....and don't do.

Something to consider.......since we now have the option to make a future cruise deposit of $100 and get the onboard credit......maybe it would be better to just pay the $100 and call the TA of your choice once you get home to make the booking.

It sounds like some of the future cruise consultants are not doing a good job and creating more problems than they solve. When you buy a future cruise deposit, you are not commiting to HAL or any particular TA while onboard. If you are still looking for the best deal and not ready to commit to a TA but want to get the cabin of your choice, you can always call HAL and book with them......and then transfer at a later date.

Thus said, we did book a future cruise deposit in February and as yet have not tried to make a booking, so I can't honestly say that this is a good solution.....but hopefully it would be better than having a confrontation over cancellation fees with an ineffective TA.

Tricia, I think this may be the way to go. I am still unclear why folks are not being given any paperwork? They still have to take $200 from a couple.

Only $25pp? Right now HAL is offering $500 per cabin OBC for a Verandah for 2008 Med. (I think) and $1,000 for a deluxe Suite. But these rates are only good until the middle of June. It will be aggravating to get onboard a few weeks after the promotion ends and then OBC will only be $50 for a couple - but of course only a $200 deposit...

We've booked future cruises with HAL's on-board future cruise consultant several times. Never had a problem because we always use the same TA and she gets credited. Having said that, FCC's used to only be onboard dam ships for the longer cruises and there were some excellent ones that knew/know their stuff like the two Janice's: Janice Carlin and Janice Gledhill, Deborah Buchanan and Tina Faulkner. It seems like someone in Seattle thought to him or herself "Self, let's put those consultants on every ship for every cruise 'cause it seems to be money in the bank" The problem is, as was already mentioned, that these new ladies (sorry, haven't seen or heard of a male FCC yet) are not all on the same experience, dare I say, competency level (huh, Lisa?;) ) and that appears to be where breakdowns occur and some get really "stressed out"

BTW, CrystalLady, I hear ya but I still think a good onboard FCC will/should ask that question "Will you be using the same TA for this new booking?" as opposed to just assuming it;)

Archived