Booking Hell!!!!! Has This Happened To You???

When we were aboard Noordam in January, there was a couple (I think they were married?) as FCC's. They told DH and me we better book Eurodam's Inaugural immediately or we would have to go on a wait list.

;) We decided to 'take our chances' and happily were able to get exactly which cabin we wanted.

Groan...... this is miserable to read.

We had intended to make a few future cruise bookings while aboard Maasdam next month. May have to second think this plan.

I don't have any interest in dealing with a FCC who will give me aggravation during my vacation. At least we have a heads up to double check everything they do.....and don't do.

Sail, I read somewhere (either our roll call, or elsewhere on this board) that the FCC on Maasdam is one of the good ones.

BTW, CrystalLady, I hear ya but I still think a good onboard FCC will/should ask that question "Will you be using the same TA for this new booking?" as opposed to just assuming it;)

I agree with you completely. It is never good to "assume" anything. Unfortunately, there are those who are competent and those who leave much to be desired in most fields.

Tricia, I think this may be the way to go. I am still unclear why folks are not being given any paperwork? They still have to take $200 from a couple.

We did receive paperwork for our Future Cruise Credit. We were sent a cover letter signed by the cruise consultant which acknowledged the $100/pp deposit and thanked us for our booking. The letter also gave instructions about how to apply the deposit to a future booking, a breakdown of the onboard credit we will receive based on the length of the voyage and the type of stateroom selected, and an explanation about when the deposit may not be used.

In addition to the letter, the Future Cruise Deposit form was attached listing our names, Mariner numbers, and Future Cruise ID numbers. This form also included the booking number and stateroom number of the cruise on which we made the booking.

I can't say enough about our Future Cruise Consultant.....she was excellent. In a few short minutes we gave her our information and credit card number, and the papers were in our cabin the next day. It seems like a flawless transaction......but we have to see how it works on the other end when we actually use it to make a booking.

This is exactly what happened to me ... right down to the $50 figure that they wanted to charge me to release the booking to HAL so that I could transfer it to the agent of my choice. I eventually had to do pretty much what you did ... though, in my case, I had to threaten to cancel the booking altogether. After several e-mails and much arguing with them, they finally agreed to release my booking for no charge and that was that.

Unfortunately, I'm back stuck in the EXACT same quandary again regarding the Eurodam's Inaugural cruise. I finalized the booking for that cruise while I was aboard Ryndam ... but, for some reason, they assigned it to that SAME TA that gave me the trouble before. I don't understand why, because the Ryndam cruise was booked with my normal TA. I also booked the Volendam cruise on the Ryndam, and THAT one was properly assigned to my normal TA. I have a letter from the FCC aboard the Ryndam indicating that my TA was the one who would be assigned for the Eurodam Inaugural, but somehow that got screwed up and it the Eurodam Inaugural got assigned to this horrible TA.

Now that horrible TA wants me to call so we can "talk" about my Euordam Inaugural booking. I've exchanged 9 (that's "nine") emails with this TA, DEMANDING that they release my booking back to HAL, and all they say is that I need to call and talk to them ... they want to explain to me why I should stay with their group booking aboard the Eurodam Inaugural. I don't WANT to stay with their group booking ... I never booked it with them in the first place, it was HAL that erroneously assigned me to them even though I have a letter from the FCC aboard the Ryndam that states, clearly, that the Eurodam booking was to be assigned to my normal TA.

At any rate ... I'm going to have to call this TA person again and we're going to have to go around, again, on this.

I'm sorry, HAL, but this is TWICE you've screwed up assigning my onboard bookings to the wrong TA ... therefore, I will have to think TWICE about booking aboard ship again. The OBC and the convenience of only having to fork over $100 per person for the bookings is just not enough of an incentive given the run-around that these TAs are causing me.

Jade13, in post 24 --

You may be referring to my $25 OBC. That's for us in the cheap seats. If you have something larger than the sardine can I'm in, you get more of an OBC. I was in the Upper Verandah Deck's 6126 and 6134 the last two cruises; they are inside walk-in closets near the back of the ship.

ADVICE: When booking, on board. Be careful that they don't write in the TA's name.....just in case you change your mind. [/b]

Isn't it possible to have no TA listed on the booking? In effect, having the onboard booking be directly through HAL? Then, when you get home and want to assign it to a TA, you just give the TA the booking number and she should be able to take care of it. At least that's the way I think it should work.

Blue skies ...

--rita

wizard-of-roz

We booked a future cruise while we were on board the Maasdam in March. Had excellent service. The girl asked us questions like: "Do you want to use the same TA?" Do You want the same cabin number you have now?", Etc. The next day we read over the paperwork that she sent to our cabin and we checked over everything to make certain that all the information was correct.

So sorry you have been put through so much @@@@.

Isn't it possible to have no TA listed on the booking? In effect, having the onboard booking be directly through HAL? Then, when you get home and want to assign it to a TA, you just give the TA the booking number and she should be able to take care of it. At least that's the way I think it should work.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, You can say you want the booking left with HAL and name no TA. The problem as discussed here in this thread and as has been explained is that FCC's are either not asking what TA or lack of one you want and even if told which they want, the FCC is disregarding and is naming a TA (s)he finds in your HAL booking records.

In this thread, people have stated this is happening to some people by some FCC's.

Greg.....

Your post has my blood boiling. This is so unacceptable there aren't words for it.

I am so sorry you have to go through this again with the same people you wanted to never hear from/about again.

I can't imagine your displeasure over the situation. I'd be more than a little frustrated over it.

Good luck. Let us know how it resolves.

Jade13, in post 24 --

You may be referring to my $25 OBC. That's for us in the cheap seats. If you have something larger than the sardine can I'm in, you get more of an OBC. I was in the Upper Verandah Deck's 6126 and 6134 the last two cruises; they are inside walk-in closets near the back of the ship.

Tom, Ok, but even $100 is not worth the aggravation that Rev Neal is going through, especially not this time in his life.

This is exactly what happened to me ... right down to the $50 figure that they wanted to charge me to release the booking to HAL so that I could transfer it to the agent of my choice. I eventually had to do pretty much what you did ... though, in my case, I had to threaten to cancel the booking altogether. After several e-mails and much arguing with them, they finally agreed to release my booking for no charge and that was that.

Unfortunately, I'm back stuck in the EXACT same quandary again regarding the Eurodam's Inaugural cruise. I finalized the booking for that cruise while I was aboard Ryndam ... but, for some reason, they assigned it to that SAME TA that gave me the trouble before. I don't understand why, because the Ryndam cruise was booked with my normal TA. I also booked the Volendam cruise on the Ryndam, and THAT one was properly assigned to my normal TA. I have a letter from the FCC aboard the Ryndam indicating that my TA was the one who would be assigned for the Eurodam Inaugural, but somehow that got screwed up and it the Eurodam Inaugural got assigned to this horrible TA.

Now that horrible TA wants me to call so we can "talk" about my Euordam Inaugural booking. I've exchanged 9 (that's "nine") emails with this TA, DEMANDING that they release my booking back to HAL, and all they say is that I need to call and talk to them ... they want to explain to me why I should stay with their group booking aboard the Eurodam Inaugural. I don't WANT to stay with their group booking ... I never booked it with them in the first place, it was HAL that erroneously assigned me to them even though I have a letter from the FCC aboard the Ryndam that states, clearly, that the Eurodam booking was to be assigned to my normal TA.

At any rate ... I'm going to have to call this TA person again and we're going to have to go around, again, on this.

I'm sorry, HAL, but this is TWICE you've screwed up assigning my onboard bookings to the wrong TA ... therefore, I will have to think TWICE about booking aboard ship again. The OBC and the convenience of only having to fork over $100 per person for the bookings is just not enough of an incentive given the run-around that these TAs are causing me.

Oh No! :( Do you have the name of the on board FCC? I'd be calling and "yelling" at them. You should not have to deal with the TA that you already dumped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc

Jade13, in post 24 --

You may be referring to my $25 OBC. That's for us in the cheap seats. If you have something larger than the sardine can I'm in, you get more of an OBC.

Jade.....

You are forgetting to factor that you only need to pay $100 deposit if booking onboard. Some of the deposits for pricey cruises are many times that. The Eurodam cruise Greg is referring to is the Inaugural many of us are booked on. That cruise is over a year from now. Some of us booked it in January/February and would much rather have $100 pp out there than many hundreds or thousands.

Each decides for themselves what is worth what.

Jade...

For $25, I'm not going to put up with it, either. I'm already booked for my next cruise and got twenty-five bucks for dealing with the village idiot. Next time, I'll see what the FCC is like and decide whether or not I'll book onboard.

Greg this is unbelieveable! It seems they need to get their act together and adequately train the FCCs onboard. I agree that the piddling OBC and low deposit isn't worth the aggrivation of going through all of this.

Jade.....

You are forgetting to factor that you only need to pay $100 deposit if booking onboard. Some of the deposits for pricey cruises are many times that. The Eurodam cruise Greg is referring to is the Inaugural many of us are booked on. That cruise is over a year from now. Some of us booked it in January/February and would much rather have $100 pp out there than many hundreds or thousands.

Each decides for themselves what is worth what.

Sail, you are right. It is not the OBC. It is the ability to make a small deposit. Still the OBC "extra" bonus does seem small when right now (as an example) HAL is offering $1,000 OBC for a suite ($500 Verandah) for some Med cruises next year based on a flyer I received. It seems these big bonuses should be offered onboard. Again, I understand the point to book onboard is to make this new available low deposit.

Jade...

For $25, I'm not going to put up with it, either. I'm already booked for my next cruise and got twenty-five bucks for dealing with the village idiot. Next time, I'll see what the FCC is like and decide whether or not I'll book onboard.

Tom, Sail makes a good point. The incentive is the low deposit. Even in "cheap seats" (your words), you still must be paying over $1,000 for two if not booking onboard. I also understand someone may post it's the same cost if you pay now or later, but again as Sail points out she has booked a cruise over a year out.

I agree with you completely. It is never good to "assume" anything. Unfortunately, there are those who are competent and those who leave much to be desired in most fields.

CrystalLady, do you have any idea if these FCC make the commission if one books with them? Not an excuse, but perhaps most just assume the booking will be transfered. I'm just wondering if they have an incentive from HAL to get someone to book, even a small amount if the booking gets transfered to an outside TA?

Jade -- Oh, yeah ... can't beat the low deposit, not at all. The $$ might as well be in your bank earning interest, rather than in HAL's. My deposit is a lot less than others because I am a single-share (although the FCC put me down as a single, against my wishes). It's a lot cheaper that way. If you're in the higher bracket, go for the low deposit and make sure from the start who your TA is.

btw: I don't think the FCC gets a commission, but others might know more than I.

Wow, after reading this thread, I guess I got really lucky!

I booked a specific future cruise onboard and was very happy with the way it was handled. The OCC was male (FYI Copper John!) and specifically asked me whether I wanted the booking to go to the same TA I had booked that cruise with. I did not. I told him I would prefer to book with a B&M TA this time, but couldn't remember the name of my local B&M TA. He then very quickly came up with the name in his computer and assigned the booking to them. It happened that this TA had a group booking, so I got an extra $35 pp onboard credit and dinner in the Pinnacle.

The day after I booked, I received a note in my cabin thanking me for the booking and including a sheet with the booking details.

RuthC is correct that there had to be a lot of new OCCs hired and trained very quickly. I expect, as with any other new hirings, some will be good and some will be not so good (and possibly let go). It so happens that my OCC had worked the CC job in Seattle prior to taking the OCC position, so he was experienced.

And yes, the OCCs are paid according to their bookings, but I have no idea what sort of compensation structure is in place.

I am so sorry some of you have had difficulties (to say the least!) with your onboard bookings. It would leave a nasty taste in one's mouth...

Bonnie

CrystalLady, do you have any idea if these FCC make the commission if one books with them? Not an excuse, but perhaps most just assume the booking will be transfered. I'm just wondering if they have an incentive from HAL to get someone to book, even a small amount if the booking gets transfered to an outside TA?

I honestly don't know. If they are salaried HAL employees, I would doubt it - but I just don't know.

Since Carnival added another cruise line to their fleet in recent years, we've noticed that many of the booking methods between that line and HAL are becoming quite similar. The other line has had Future Cruise Consultants on board their ships for years. But I have no idea how they are compensated (salary, commissions, combination of both?)

I am hereby volunteering to work as an onboard Future Cruise Consultant for HAL. I am organized, pay attention to detail, and am accurate to a fault.

All kidding aside, I've applied for several HAL Seattle office jobs and have never had the courtesy of a reply. So why do I still check their job site every now and then??

Mrs Muir

I honestly don't know. If they are salaried HAL employees, I would doubt it - but I just don't know.

Since Carnival added another cruise line to their fleet in recent years, we've noticed that many of the booking methods between that line and HAL are becoming quite similar. The other line has had Future Cruise Consultants on board their ships for years. But I have no idea how they are compensated (salary, commissions, combination of both?)

I've been told most (if not all) of the FCC's pay is commission based.

Not that I want to beat this horse to death.......But, I can't believe what is happening now.......:(

When I called my TA and asked if he got my future cruise in his office? He said he called HAL and they asked that I call them direct. I called HAL; they stated that I need to send a FAX, with my signature (releasing the booking to the (new) TA and the (new) TA needs to fax them as well (accepting the booking) and the (old) TA needs to FAX them informing them that they relinquished the booking.

Do you believe the hoops and whistles I'm being put through for the FCC's and my mistake and mostly my not double checking what she had written????????

Good grief.....I suggested to HAL that this booking would be simpler if I just cancelled and went with "Princess!" She didn't laugh but merely stated that Princess would require exactly the same thing.

The paper I signed with the FCC (initially), releasing the cruise to my TA was not sent to HAL!

And, therein lies the rub!!!!!!!!!

I want this booking.....I want this cabin.....and, most of all I want this cruise......

I will do as I'm asked and NEVER AGAIN, will this happen to me!!!!

Thanks for all your good input!:)

Archived