Pet peeve - charges for bottled water

socal4me

hi fellow cruisers.

my husband and I just returned from a 10 day Greek Isle cruise on the Veendam.

The experience was a good one, but one thing I think they could do to make this a bit 'classier' instead of what feels like 'nickel-and-diming' is to change the policy for charges of bottled water.

First - I think that all passengers going on shore excursions made through HAL should receive a complimentary bottle of water when leaving the Rubens Lounge. If you would like the additional holder that could be charged to your room.

Second - a liter a day in your stateroom should also be complimentary. Is this asking too much?

socal4me

Sure it would be nice but we can only get what we are willing to pay for.

There is no free. Pay it in the fare or pay it 'buffet style'.

The other day we had a thread where there were many comments about the prices of cruises. Most people are buying their cruises by 'price'.

HAL wants to sell cruises. If they keep the fare lower, they sell more cruises.

We are getting what we have asked for IMO Not a popular viewpoint, I am sure, but maybe a bit of truth to it??? It's easy for us to point fingers and say HAL is nickel and diming.....aren't we as well?

It's just something we're going to have to live with.

I just came back from a land based vaction in Hawaii. The hotel had water sitting on top of the fridge. $4.25 a bottle if we used it.

Fortunatly, in Hawaii, there are a bazillion ABC stores :D

All cruise lines offer you the purest water on earth - free of charge.

Just turn on the tap in your bathroom and drink as much as you like - free of charge.

But if you want some of that trendy bottled, purified city tap water. or imported bottled spa water, you need to pay for it - just like cruise lines have to pay for it.

I'm not much of a trend follower. So I don't get into the bottled water craze. If the cruise lines provide it free to you, it means I am indirectly paying for your consumption of something I don't want, need, or use. If I want to consume bottled water, exotic coffees, or unusual cuisine, I am happy to pay for them.

I found the cost of bottled water on the ship to be quite reasonable, especially compared to our post cruise stop at the Westin in Vancouver. They wanted $5.75 for a bottle. :rolleyes:

Frankly bottled water is not that expensive on the ships IMHO.

hi fellow cruisers.

my husband and I just returned from a 10 day Greek Isle cruise on the Veendam.

The experience was a good one, but one thing I think they could do to make this a bit 'classier' instead of what feels like 'nickel-and-diming' is to change the policy for charges of bottled water.

First - I think that all passengers going on shore excursions made through HAL should receive a complimentary bottle of water when leaving the Rubens Lounge. If you would like the additional holder that could be charged to your room.

Second - a liter a day in your stateroom should also be complimentary. Is this asking too much?

socal4me

I am aware this is going to be a fee that adds up. I had e-mailed a number of days ago to ask the charge for bottled water and the only reply that I received was that we could purchase bottled water and no it was not available on the "Cola" card. So, how much is it?

For 7 excursion days and a family of 3, we would be paying for at least 21 bottles. But if in Europe, they might actually be more in euros? Someone had a post on some crazy fees outside of the Pompeii ruins....

And, I do agree if we are paying a premium for a HAL excursion (As an example HAL is $107.00 for a 3 hour bicycle tour in Barcelona and the same three hours if you book direct is about euro 24 - but you do have to get to the bicycle shop yourself), they should provide a bottle of water.

For 7 excursion days and a family of 3, we would be paying for at least 21 bottles. But if in Europe, they might actually be more in euros? Someone had a post on some crazy fees outside of the Pompeii ruins....

Buy three bottles. Save the empties. Refill them in your bathroom. End of problem. Even better, bring three bottles with you then there's no need to even pay for that first one!

Bruce Muzz made a very valid comment IMO

The water that comes out of the tap on HAL ships is far more pure than what comes in those bottles.

Buy three bottles so each in your family has one and refill it every morning from the tap before you leave the ship.

All cruise lines offer you the purest water on earth - free of charge.

Just turn on the tap in your bathroom and drink as much as you like - free of charge.

Good point. The ships desalinators generate some good quality water. Better than my own city tap water I'd bet :rolleyes: I never think to bring a bottle an refill, or you could just buy one and refill as needed. Just keep it in the minibar fridge to stay cold :) We had our steward remove some of the things we knew we wouldnt want so we'd have some room in there for other stuff.

Buy three bottles. Save the empties. Refill them in your bathroom. End of problem. Even better, bring three bottles with you then there's no need to even pay for that first one!

Ditto !

John, now that is a scary looking creatures. Can you tell me what end is what???:eek:OK in relooking at this picture I think I figured out which end is which but it is still scary ;)

I agree that I just drink the tap water on HAL. I actually like it. When we first started to cruise I would purchase the bottled water, I can honestly say it has been many cruises since I have even done this. I do not see an reason HAL should offer free bottled water. Like it was stated the water coming out of the tap is probably far better than that in most bottled waters. Why should HAL have to pay for it let alone store it on the ship. They have enough things being brought on board. If they offered the bottled water for free they would have to carry about 5 times the amount they do now.I would much rather HAL not offer something they already have than raise my cruise fare.

We have our own platapuses that we take on cruises. We just fill them with water -- thus no charge.

I always wonder why people buy ICED water right as they leave the ship. On a hot day, that water is going to become room temperature within a short time.

I agree. Filling your own reusable bottle not only saves money, it's also better for the environment (fewer used bottles). You can chill the bottle in your fridge or ice bucket. I use an insulated bottle holder with a shoulder strap that not only keeps the water cool longer, but also makes it easier to carry around. I think I got it from LL Bean, but I'm sure similar items are widely available.

John, now that is a scary looking creatures. Can you tell me what end is what???:eek:OK in relooking at this picture I think I figured out which end is which but it is still scary ;)

Scary ??? I think the platypus is an adorable creature and very unique. ;)

It's a Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus), Lisa, a semi-aquatic mammal endemic to Eastern Australia, including Tasmania.

Yes, because then cruise fares would have to be increased to pay for it. If you want all that stuff included, then book passage on a luxury line like Regent. They include sodas and bottled water, and even drinks, in the price of the cruise. However, that price is much, much higher.

If you really are peeved about paying for bottled water when you go on a tour, simply take a couple of water bottles with you and fill them from the tap in your stateroom or in the Lido. That's what I often do. I buy one bottle of water, or drink the one in my stateroom, and then I simply refill it each time I go on tour. A while back I also bought a HAL water bottle caddy ... paid something like $10 bucks for it (one bottle of water included) and I use that to carry my water bottle in port. Now I don't pay a cent for water if I don't want to.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thank you, lvtotrvl1....... I think the same. Also for soda. When I hear people suggest soda should be included in the fare, I always wonder why they think that. Few (if any) restaurants /hotels on land provide free soda. I can't imagine why they don't expect to pay for it.

Thanks Dave!

Archived