Anyone know of a good map of GRand Cayman?

emd1

I got one recently for Cozumel, recommended by people on that port board. So I thought I'd check w/the experts here and see if you can recommend a map that shows roads, attractions, restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Eileen

If you want really detailed maps, you can find them here:

http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm

That's the official government site, with all of the street atlas pages. Each section (page) is a separate pdf, so you can just print off the sections of the island that you will be visiting. It doesn't show all the restaurants and attractions, but it does show all of the buildings and roads, so you can compare information from the tourism sites and find places on the maps. Not everyone on the island uses street addresses, so you may find that locations are given by building name in some cases, and these maps are useful since most of the larger buildings are labelled.

Thank you both. Bookbabe, that one is particularly helpful.

I am still hoping for one I can buy, a visitor's foldup map, so I don't have to piece together the pages from Bookbabe's site. If anyone knows of one like that, let me know.

I emailed the office that made (and sells) the map that Bookbabe posted the link for. I asked if I can buy one of the maps.

Here is the email and reply:

Hello. Can you please tell me when the new Cayman islands Official Street Atlas will be on sale, and how can I buy one? I will be on the island for a period of time starting at the end of June and this looks like best map available. I am using the online version, but really would like the full map so I can have the key to al lthe numbered buildings. Thank you

Thanks for your enquiry. It is planned to have the street atlas 2nd edition available for around late summer. I can’t be more specific just now until I get a firm schedule from the printer. It will be available most likely from bookstores and supermarkets, plus the Lands & Survey public counter at BritCay House on Eastern Avenue.

Unfortunately we sold out of the 1st edition a while ago. A delay in collating the update information for the new atlas due to hurricane recovery and the unexpected demand for replacement atlases after Ivan lead to a shortfall in supplies before the new one was ready.

Regards

Garry

Bookbabe, any idea where the key is to that map regarding all the little numbers on the bldgs, etc.?

There isn't an online key, not that I've been able to find, anyway. However, the little numbers are the street numbers of the buildings. Any other symbols you aren't sure of?

As for the hard copy of the street atlas...don't hold your breath. They've been claiming that it will be out "soon" for ages now... ;)

There's a ton of free maps available in the various tourist books and guides that will be at the port and all over town. They're not as good or as detailed as the street atlas, but they'll get you from point A to point B without too much difficulty...

I bought the Insight Pocket Guide - Cayman Islands book at Borders and there is a great fold up map included in a pocket in the back. The map has a large map of the island, with major roads marked and also detailed map of Georgetown.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friend just introduced me to this and you can actually see cruise ships docked and you can move all around the island and zoom in. To give you an idea of the definition, if you look up the St. Louis arch you can see it's shadow and the vents at the top.

just search Google Earth.

Archived