Wine boxes.

travmagic

I'd like to know what states and area have the boxed wine at Target. Oklahoma doesn't but we will be driving to Galveston a couple of days early so could get some on the way.

There is a Target in Galveston near the Port. Mapquest it. It is right off of 45 and it is the only one out there! Cheers!

I'll take a beautiful woman in a tank top with cheap wine any time!:D

Are suggesting that because someone pays a lot for wine, they are sophisticated? C'mon, you must be kidding.

Yes I was kidding as I am also one who has packed them for our last 2 cruises. Hence the :D at the end. It was a joke...lighten up. I already said I buy my wine cubes at Target, how much cheaper could I get?? I would buy them at the Dollar store if they carried that brand there. :o

I'll take a beautiful woman in a tank top with cheap wine any time!:D

Are suggesting that because someone pays a lot for wine, they are sophisticated? C'mon, you must be kidding.

While all wines taste different, and different people have different tastes, to suggest that the packaging indicates quality is being short sighted. Or maybe, their marketing just worked on you.

I bet that the majority of wine drinkers, myself included, couldn't tell a boxed Chardonnay from a jug Chardonnay from most $25 bottles of Chardonnay in the wine store. I'd bet you could tell they were different, but I doubt if you could tell which was the "best."

And if you're putting ice in it, or over-chilling it, you're killing the taste, so it doesn't matter.

The cost of wine is mostly dictated by Supply and Demand, not quality.

Right now, you can get excellent wines from South America at low prices because they're in lower demand than California wines.

When the dollar value is high in Europe, French wine suddenly gets very cheap. No better, just cheaper.

Many Italian wines are excellent and low priced because Americans just aren't used to buying "Montepulciano" - if it doesn't say Merlot or Cabernet, nobody knows what it is!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily"

--- Bluto Blutarsky, 1978

SO true. I'm married to a wine snob and it drives him crazy that I can't tell the difference between a $100 bottle and a $10 bottle.;)

Yes I was kidding as I am also one who has packed them for our last 2 cruises. Hence the :D at the end. It was a joke...lighten up. I already said I buy my wine cubes at Target, how much cheaper could I get?? I would buy them at the Dollar store if they carried that brand there. :o

Admonishment respectfully accepted. . . . . Meet you at Target:)

Admonishment respectfully accepted. . . . . Meet you at Target:)

Red or White? :p :D

I liked the "Dixie Cup" suggestion too. I usually use my Carnival Foo Foo Cup so I don't have to pack any. :cool:

I have thought about doing that many times. It would be worth the corkage fee just to see the wine Stewart carrying the box thru the dining room on formal night. Then setting it up on our table and inviting other guests to share a glass of wine with us.

LOL........ friggin priceless!!!

Before I comment I need to get up and walk over to the wine chiller ( fridge) and pour myself a glass ( Carnival souvenir glass) of vino. Chateau DeCalifornia 2007. We love the box wines.:D

Hey, Frenzia's not that bad! hahah That stuff lasts FOREVERRRRRRRRRR. I swear, it's a never ending box of wine.

We will be bringing our boxes of Franzia on our cruise next week. We either get the blush or white. We buy it at Walmart. :p

Carnival Liberty 6/07

There is a Target in Galveston near the Port. Mapquest it. It is right off of 45 and it is the only one out there! Cheers!

And I don't know about Galveston, but all the Targets I've been to in the Houston area sell wine, so you should be able to find it there.

I just may bring a box on my next cruise. The local liquor store had some nice wines now in boxes. What states let Target sell wine? Wow, on our state you can only get alcoholic beverages in a liquor store. No beer or wine in the supermarkets.

In Ontario, the Liquor Board has been encouraging and promoting wine in tetrapak for a few years now. They are much better for the environment. There are many quality wine packaged this way. I've had many myself. In the U.S., it is finally slowly catching on.

OK, ? here. I like the boxed wine but, how is it better for the environment? Bottles can be reused, boxes can't and end up in land fills here.

Isn't cardboard recycleable?

What states let Target sell wine?

In TX, it's a city thing. Some cities are "dry" and some aren't.

In Louisiana, you could get LIQUOR at Wal-Mart. Even places that sell beer here don't have liquor. I have to go to liquor stores for that.

I'm not really clear with all of the ordinances, but I do know that it's a city/state thing, not a Target thing.

Isn't cardboard recycleable?

In TX, it's a city thing. Some cities are "dry" and some aren't.

In Louisiana, you could get LIQUOR at Wal-Mart. Even places that sell beer here don't have liquor. I have to go to liquor stores for that.

I'm not really clear with all of the ordinances, but I do know that it's a city/state thing, not a Target thing.

In Louisiana I have seen hard liquor for sale in gas stations. In Mississippi and Alabama in most counties you can purchase wine or beer in most all stores including gas stations and drug stores but all hard liquor is only in liquor stores. You can't purchase any at all from Saturday at midnight until after noon on Sunday. There are a few "dry" counties though where you can't purchase anything with alcohol at all.

In the first place, corkage is not charged for actually opening a bottle of wine...it's for the privilege of bringing your own wine to the dining room.

Next, nobody would be crass enough to take a box of wine to the dining room.:rolleyes:

The OP said they wanted to have the wine on their balcony.

Ohh but they will open it for you. Nice value added post:rolleyes:

Tom

I just may bring a box on my next cruise. The local liquor store had some nice wines now in boxes. What states let Target sell wine? Wow, on our state you can only get alcoholic beverages in a liquor store. No beer or wine in the supermarkets.

Same with us. Not that there aren't plenty of liqour stores;) . I have 3 in my small town.

I'm scared to look what the other cruise boards are saying about this thread!! A lot of "told you so's" I suspect:D I have to admit, value per oz can't be beat from a box of vino.... another glass please:p

We took the box (Sangria from Target), took the bag out of it and put it in the ice bucket. We then took it to the pool and was never questioned! I plan on doing it again Sept. when we go on the Legend.

There are a lot of good ones on the market these days. I always pack one in my checked bag. Of course I am also one of those "bad people" who brings their own liquor as well. I bring gin, vodka, rum in the 16 oz water bottles in my checked bag, and I bring a sippy cup and mix it with lemonaide, and buy a soda card. Every now and then I'll buy a few beers by the pool, and a bottle of wine at dinner, but other than that, I'm drinking my own.

Dolphinfan, I will see you in September!

OK, ? here. I like the boxed wine but, how is it better for the environment? Bottles can be reused, boxes can't and end up in land fills here.

The boxes are better for the environment for a couple of reasons. The boxes contain the amount of wine that there is in 2-4 bottles. Therefor, you are using one container instead of 2 or 4.

The wine stays fresher longer, so for those of us who don't drink a whole bottle of wine in a week, we end up wasting less wine and therefor don't buy as many bottles.

The boxes can be broken down and recycled, since they are cardboard.

If in Michigan paper boxes are not recycled but end up in landfills, then you guys should press the authorities to begin the recycling program. In most place paper boxes are recycled, not dumped into garbage for landfill.

You can clean and reuse glass bottles, especially if you like to make your own wine. However, wineries don't do that. They buy a batch of the same size/shape bottles for each vintage. They are not into collecting, sorting, and cleaning used bottles.

Wine in tetrapcks (usually 250ml or 1L) or larger boxes (2, 4, 8L or larger) take up much less room than the equivalent of bottles, and a a lot lighter.

Paper recycling programs have been around a lot longer than glass/plastics, and it's easier to find recycle bins for paper than glass/plastics, so people are more likely to recycle paper than glass/plastic.

With tetrapacks or boxed wines, you also don't need a corkscrew.

Archived