Wine boxes.

travmagic

Anyone ever carry the (small) boxes of wine on board? I am travelling with a wino!! And she wants to take advantage of being able to bring wine from home. Ok, I told her I would mention this is just to enjoy on her balcony only!:rolleyes:

I bought a box of wine, I think it was called "Black Box" plain black box, the people with Carnival security "freaked", I had to explain it and show them where is said wine in small print. My suggestion buy a box with a picture on it.:p

You can carry on a couple bottles with Carnival blessings. You pay a corkage fee to drink in the dinning room. I would drink mine on the balcony before dinner and bed.

Well, at least with a box of wine you avoid the corkage fee :confused:

I took a couple of cubes on our last cruise. I like Sangria and found one that wasn't too bad for a cheap wine at our local Target store. That brand has several different types available. The cubes are good in the fridge but if you don't have one and have to use a cooler you can take the plastic bag out of the box so you won't have a soggy mess.

We bought a few of the very small boxed wines at Target and packed them in our luggage on the last cruise. Each small box had plenty for my husband and I to share. With ice being so plentiful, having the wine was much better than trying to get our beer cold.

Speaking of Target boxed wines.. I saw those, very cute. I'm starting to get into wine. I just bought some wine at a local winery in Grapevine, TX :)

What are y'all's favorite flavors/kinds of the Target small boxed wine?

Well, at least with a box of wine you avoid the corkage fee :confused:

In the first place, corkage is not charged for actually opening a bottle of wine...it's for the privilege of bringing your own wine to the dining room.

Next, nobody would be crass enough to take a box of wine to the dining room.:rolleyes:

The OP said they wanted to have the wine on their balcony.

Next, nobody would be crass enough to take a box of wine to the dining room.:rolleyes:

The wine cube would go quite well with those wearing blue jeans, tank tops, tennis shoes and ball caps. :p :D

Seriously though, they are very easy to pack as they take up very little room and you don't have to worry so much about breakage. I still pack mine within one of those large ziploc bags (just in case) and the bag can be used for damp or dirty items when returning home. It is nice to have it available when getting dressed for dinner or later at night when relaxing before bed.

Just wanted to say that boxed wines are actually gaining in reputation. While it used to be true that only low quality wines were boxed, better vineyards are now choosing to box their wines because of the flexibility it affords the drinker (keeps the wine fresher without re-corking). Also, it's less costly for the producer than glass bottles and corks.

So, before you go lumping boxed wines in with swimmy diapers, you may want to give them another look. And frankly, I think bringing one to the dining room would be just fine.

http://preview.*****.com/2fvuvl

:)

I have thought about doing that many times. It would be worth the corkage fee just to see the wine Stewart carrying the box thru the dining room on formal night. Then setting it up on our table and inviting other guests to share a glass of wine with us.

Thanks everyone! My friend was sitting with me when I posted that question last night. We had already had a couple of glasses so we were getting a little silly!:o

We have seen plenty of brands in cubes at our local liquor stores. Glad to see it has become so popular. Certainly easier to travel with.

Anyone ever carry the (small) boxes of wine on board? I am travelling with a wino!! And she wants to take advantage of being able to bring wine from home. Ok, I told her I would mention this is just to enjoy on her balcony only!:rolleyes:

We took the box (Sangria from Target), took the bag out of it and put it in the ice bucket. We then took it to the pool and was never questioned! I plan on doing it again Sept. when we go on the Legend.

I have thought about doing that many times. It would be worth the corkage fee just to see the wine Stewart carrying the box thru the dining room on formal night. [\quote]

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.:D The wine STEWARD would probably be mortified at the thought.

We took the box (Sangria from Target), took the bag out of it and put it in the ice bucket. We then took it to the pool and was never questioned! I plan on doing it again Sept. when we go on the Legend.

I think we will try this also.

The wine cube would go quite well with those wearing blue jeans, tank tops, tennis shoes and ball caps. :p :D

I'll take a beautiful woman in a tank top with cheap wine any time!:D

Are suggesting that because someone pays a lot for wine, they are sophisticated? C'mon, you must be kidding.

While all wines taste different, and different people have different tastes, to suggest that the packaging indicates quality is being short sighted. Or maybe, their marketing just worked on you.

I bet that the majority of wine drinkers, myself included, couldn't tell a boxed Chardonnay from a jug Chardonnay from most $25 bottles of Chardonnay in the wine store. I'd bet you could tell they were different, but I doubt if you could tell which was the "best."

And if you're putting ice in it, or over-chilling it, you're killing the taste, so it doesn't matter.

The cost of wine is mostly dictated by Supply and Demand, not quality.

Right now, you can get excellent wines from South America at low prices because they're in lower demand than California wines.

When the dollar value is high in Europe, French wine suddenly gets very cheap. No better, just cheaper.

Many Italian wines are excellent and low priced because Americans just aren't used to buying "Montepulciano" - if it doesn't say Merlot or Cabernet, nobody knows what it is!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily"

--- Bluto Blutarsky, 1978

Many Italian wines are excellent and low priced because Americans just aren't used to buying "Montepulciano" - if it doesn't say Merlot or Cabernet, nobody knows what it is!

I've been to Montepulciano, and I'll drink their wine any day (especially if I'm sitting on the side of a Tuscan hill!)

Oh... and for the record, not all boxed wines are cheap! Also, the reason some of them cost less is not quality (as has been noted), but packaging. An airtight bag in a cardboard "cask" costs less to make and ship than a glass bottle.

So, yes, if I can get the same quality wine, have it last longer, and get twice as much for the same price, I'll take it.

We took a box wine last year on the Holiday. However, that was before the beverage policy was changed to only allow one bottle per person. Many box wines hold the equivalent of 4 or more bottles, so I don't know how Carnival security will treat them. I assume it will not be a problem, but be warned.

LOL . . . it wouldn't surprise me if someone did.

I have brought tetrapacks of wine to cruise trips. No problem at all.

It is NOT "crass" to bring box or tetrapck wine to the dinning room. It's too bad some posters think so.

In Ontario, the Liquor Board has been encouraging and promoting wine in tetrapak for a few years now. They are much better for the environment. There are many quality wine packaged this way. I've had many myself. In the U.S., it is finally slowly catching on.

Oh yes, Montepulciano wine is good, and usually at a good price.

Targets Pinot Grigio Cube is actually VERY good, and you can get it in small or large boxes. The small box os equal to 2 bottles, and the large one equals 4. Target,as well as the Black Box brands are a much better quality IMHO than the old boxes that used to be your only option. Much better than going the bubble wrap route and worrying if they would make it or not.

Speaking of Target boxed wines.. I saw those, very cute. I'm starting to get into wine. I just bought some wine at a local winery in Grapevine, TX :)

What are y'all's favorite flavors/kinds of the Target small boxed wine?

Archived