Tortuga Rum Cakes on the Ecstasy?

pbeachbum

If you go to Cayman Islands where they are made, get Blackbeard's rum cakes instead. I got a tip on this board to get them instead because they were better and cheaper. I got a 6 pack for $30 (yea I know the 6 pack of Tortuga's on the RCI ship I was on was $27.50), but you got a free 2 lb of your choice with the purchase. Its worth seeking out Blackbeard's brand. We still have some left. I loaded up.

One more tip, the lady who worked in the Tortuga store in Key West said since we were going to the Cayman Islands anyway...that we shouldnt buy from her, buy in the Cayman Islands and the cakes would be fresher.

Blackbeards Rum Cakes are far better than Tortuga in our opinion and in the opinion of about 20 members of our card group. We bring back a bunch everytime we go to Grand Cayman and share them with friends at card club.

We have brought back other brands including Tortuga and our friends still agree with DH & I that they can't hold a candle to Blackbeards.

Dianne

Blackbeards Rum Cakes are far better than Tortuga in our opinion and in the opinion of about 20 members of our card group. We bring back a bunch everytime we go to Grand Cayman and share them with friends at card club.

We have brought back other brands including Tortuga and our friends still agree with DH & I that they can't hold a candle to Blackbeards.

Dianne

I liked key lime on the Tortuga brand and didnt see that one on the Blackbeard's brands and one of the one's from Blackbeard, the one with all the nuts on top, they did not have in the 2 lb size, dont know if they just dont make it or were sold out of it.

We brought Blackbeard's back and stuck them in the freezer, even though they said they will last up to 6 months. I just went last month.

They are that good, but the ships only carry the original flavor. When we were in Jamaica we got the same deal, 6 cakes, but they were all different flavors. Loved the banana rum cake!

The Miracle had more than just the original flavor, but the selection was not as good as in the Tortuga shop in Grand Cayman. I think there were 3 or 4 flavors offered in the Miracle shops. Some of the yummiest flavors were not available. Next time I will buy in port where I can get more of a variety. :)

We've tried the Bacardi ones (from Bahamas) and the chocolate Tortuga ones... Both were excellent!!!

And they last longer than 6 months-we bought Tortuga in January '06, and forgot about it til we were moving in October '06. I said 'Ew' at first, but it looked okay, and FI didn't die when he took the first bite. :D MMMMmmm it was so good! I'd almost be willing to buy more off the website and spend the money!

I liked key lime on the Tortuga brand and didnt see that one on the Blackbeard's brands and one of the one's from Blackbeard, the one with all the nuts on top, they did not have in the 2 lb size, dont know if they just dont make it or were sold out of it.

We brought Blackbeard's back and stuck them in the freezer, even though they said they will last up to 6 months. I just went last month.

Hurricane flavor is the favorite among our friends. First introduced after the hurricane devastated the island. It's a chocolate/vanilla marble cake that melts in your mouth.

I believe the reason Tortuga is more popular is simply because Tortuga is willing to pay the gazillions of $$$ to advertise with the cruise lines, while Blackbeards relies on word of mouth.

By not paying those gazillions $$$, Blackbeards can offer a much better product at a much better price.:D

Dianne

I have seen these on every ship I have been on and they were all over the Miami airport. Are they THAT good?

Yeppers!! the Rum fudge was even better! I had to avoid the gift shop on the Miracle since they had samples out daily. Didn't do to well on the avoidance:D :o

They sound yummy and will add some to my shopping list in December (along with a couple of bottles of Sheridan's!) We have seen them on all of our Mexico cruises and even the Hawaiian cruise. But the biggest selection of flavors I saw was at MIA.

Does Blackbeard's have a website too?

Hurricane flavor is the favorite among our friends. First introduced after the hurricane devastated the island. It's a chocolate/vanilla marble cake that melts in your mouth.

I believe the reason Tortuga is more popular is simply because Tortuga is willing to pay the gazillions of $$$ to advertise with the cruise lines, while Blackbeards relies on word of mouth.

By not paying those gazillions $$$, Blackbeards can offer a much better product at a much better price.:D

Dianne

We just finished the hurricane small rum cake this past week, yum.

There was one with nuts that was kinda plain tasting to me maybe vanilla cake with rum is the one I could not get in the 2 lb size, just a smaller size, but they had samples out for tasting. The cake was not as good, but my dad loves nuts. Well, since I dont care for vanilla, maybe thats why I like the other flavors better.

I had brought a fold up extra carry on with me in case I needed more space to carry all my loot home. I planned on getting the rum cakes well in advance :)

when buying them make sure you check the date on the package. there is 6 month expiration date. last cruise the date was soon expired.

i like freezing them for thanksgiving.

Archived