Rhapsody gone!! Whats next???

I just noticed your signature. I'm a Brenda too!:D I know...Off topic, I just don't run across to many of us.

I also hope they put Rhapsody in NO. I'd drive the extra miles to sail on her, Or rather I'll make my DH drive them:D

well hi Brenda. you;re rignt--not many of us.

It takes about 10 hours to get to New Orleans from Dallas so it would be an extra 5 hours added to the drive. But you can always get a cheap flight from Southwest to New Orleans usually for only a $100. Which is way cheaper then driving, paying for gas and paying for parking.

Must be something wrong with my Yahoo maps, which came out with less than 8 hours to drive to New Orleans. I had planned on going the day before though, so Id still do it that way. It would be too far to drive the day of the cruise for sure.

Im already getting together a list of hotels that allow free parking during the cruise, but they are much more expensive than than Galveston. Over $100, like $125, and you cant do priceline to get the free parking package Iv read.

Facts against Texas in the cruising industry.

1. Most delays for fog. Florida has the most cancellations and delays due to hurricanes, I have never had a cruise delayed due to fog so it cant be that frequent, only know of a few this year this happened to.

2. Longest drives from airports. Gasoline prices not helping either. This is true but many that cruise from Miami fly into Ft Lauderdale due to cost being less, and it is not exactly close to the port of Miami

3. Very soft revenues. According to the call I just got Galveston has been very lucrative to RCCL, staight out of the mouth of someone in Mr Fain's office.

4. Itineraries for a seven day cruise are Western Caribbean only.

Yet the ship sailed full for 5 yrs, cant be that bad. She used to hit Key West so technically I am sure she could do other ports, not sure why they didnt, might be a demand thing. I have also sailed her to Belize. From Miami, I have done 2 cruises, both times same ports, Labadee, St Thomas, San Juan and the Bahamas, boy was I impressed.

5. The Yucatan coast is very hot and humid. The Caribbean is too from my experience and I have been on cruises to St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, and spent a week in Jamaica - all hot and humid in my experience.

People prefer to vacation in cooler climates during the summer and warmer climates during the winter. - Europe in the summer is pretty warm and so in the Mediterranian (sp), the truth is people are wanting to do something different. Seen one Caribbean island, seen em all in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the airports are too far away to generate nationwide bookings. Hmm funny, I know of folks from all over that have gone from Galveston.

Shuttle transfers were the most expensive in the USA, and the Houston area is by far the least attractive city in the USA. The Houston are looks, smells, and is the largest petrochemical complex in the world. When fares drop more than half between the summer and winter season, no wonder the cruise lines are repositioning their ships for more profit.

I have been to many cities I think are far more unattractive than Houston, I happen to like Houston actually. I find Miami, and Los Angeles to both be unattractive by far more so than Houston, and I am sure there are a lot more. Tampa is not exactly winning any awards either. If they were basing it only on the looks of a city then they would be hard pressed to find anywhere to put the ships. I agree it is a long drive, but I would rather drive an hour than fly to Miami any day. The distance is why Bayport is going to be such an attractive terminal, much closer for transportation, still an hour from me.

In the past during the summer and winter months many cruises from Texas have been discounted to less than $70 per day. That is soft.......in any business.

The pricing on any of the smaller ships is less than the larger ships, even from Miami. The fall is actually the least expensive time to cruise from Galveston, I used to always go then because it was so much less than other times of the year. May is a little more but still cheaper than summer or winter months.

I did a comparison for the exact same week, leaving from Galveston and leaving from Miami

Ship Name: Rhapsody Of The Seas

Departure Port: Galveston, Texas

Ports of Call: Galveston, Texas; Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico; Yucatan (Progreso), Mexico; Galveston, Texas

2007 Date(s): Aug 26

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite

$599.00 $699.00 $1,049.00 $1,199.00

(this is a featured hot deal week for Rhapsody and the cheapest cabin still comes to 85 per night before tax. Other weeks were more)

Ship Name: Freedom Of The Seas

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Miami, Florida

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$899.00 $1,199.00 $1,249.00 $1,949.00

This is a hard comparison because from July thru Sept there are only 2 ships leaving from Miami, Freedom and Liberty. Miami being a huge cruise port, and only 2 ships for RCCL? This tells me the whole Caribbean market is soft or they would have more ships positioned there. Ft Lauderdale had none during the time frame, and Pt Canaveral had 1 ship.

Ship Name: Mariner Of The Seas

Departure Port: Port Canaveral, Florida

Ports of Call: Port Canaveral, Florida; Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Port Canaveral, Florida

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$799.00 $898.00 $997.00 $1,799.00

Considering both the Freedom and the Mariner are much larger, the prices are going to be more, they have more to pay for. There are no other smaller ship options from those ports. I find it interesting that Royal Caribbean said they would be moving a lot of ships out of the Caribbean since it was soft yet everyone seems to think Galveston is the issue here. We only had 1 full time and 1 part time ship, both are gone, they needed smaller ships somewhere else, logic says move those. If it were just Galveston then Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Pt Canaveral would have more ships during that time frame, yet they dont. We are still getting a ship, only part of the time now, during the winter and spring months, so if it was not lucrative, I can guarantee you RCCL would not put a ship here at all. The plan all along was never to keep Rhapsody here but to bring another ship if Rhapsody did well She has the highest repeat passenger base of any ship in the fleet, tells you something. The fact someone picked up the phone and called me to respond to my letter says they are listening and Texas will see another ship, maybe not Rhapsody but we will get something in the next few years.

VERY well stated Nitra. We absolutely HATE going out of Miami, won't say never, but won't if I have a choice. I will go right now and write my

e-mails!!!! Thanks for reposting the e-mails addresses.

Facts against Texas in the cruising industry.

2. Longest drives from airports. Gasoline prices not helping either. This is true but many that cruise from Miami fly into Ft Lauderdale due to cost being less, and it is not exactly close to the port of Miami

Don't forget most have to fly into Orlando to get to Port Canaveral. I also contacted them and told them it makes no sense to have so many ships out of Florida and none full time out of Galveston or New Orleans.

I said they would be better off even bringing the Soveign of the seas here, they could fill it up and get better revenues than out of Port Canaveral which is always a low fare port.

I also gave examples of how much Carnival has raised their prices starting this fall after we go from 6 full time ships down to 2 ships and that I too have booked 3 Carnival cruises, not because I want to, but because I cant cruise as often as Id like if RCI doesnt have a ship near me and Im not staying home, so it is money out of RCI's pocket.

This is what lack of competition is doing to Carnival Conquest prices. A month or so ago they were all $449 - $479 for Sept and October. September is usually one of the weaker months. Even a few days ago, early Sept was up to $649 for a inside cabin/guarantee, now its up to $699 for both early Sept dates.

This is what I quoted to them at RCI, with Princess and Norweigan gone and now RCI....Carnival prices are sky rocketing and going up almost daily. (I also mentioned that I know for a fact that next spring Voyager out of Galveston is already filling up).

The first three weeks in September are going up almost daily. Money out of RCI's pocket. These prices are for a 4a (lowest inside cabin)

Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean 09/02/2007 $699

Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean 09/09/2007 $699

Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean 09/16/2007 $679

Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean 09/30/2007 $599

We cannot give up, they are hearing us. We might not get immediate results but we will get them. We just have to make enough noise to be noticed.

I am going on Princess from San Diego next year, only because it is a free cruise, hopefully 2009 will see us with a ship back. New Orleans is about a 5 hr drive for me but I would do it, provided gas prices are not insane still.

and the Houston area is by far the least attractive city in the USA. The Houston are looks, smells, and is the largest petrochemical complex in the world.

Hmmmm....that's the smell of money and jobs! Else why are people continuing to move to the Houston area in droves?

wrote my letters and sent the e-mail addresses to my sisters & encouraged them to write as well.

I am holding on to hope Nitra that they--RCCL--will come through. I said in my e-mail that I am a loyal RCCL cruiser & I am, I'm just a disheartened one right now.

I do have a question for Don Haynes--why are you so negative about Texas? Not from here are you? As I pointed out in my e-mails--many of the crew form Rhapsody AND Splendour, LOVE Texas pax, we know how to treat them right!!!

Come on RCCL, change those plans

I agree with you Nitra!

We love sailing out of Galveston and we really don't care where we sail to. No airfare for us because we live in Houston.

We have sailed on Rhapsody twice and we have the Voyager booked also.

We did fly to Miami in January and sailed on the Navigator of the Seas very nice ship and we did enjoy San Juan, St Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau. The airport in Miami is disgusting and wasn't all that impressed with Miami.

I am sad that RCL will not have any ships here year round.

Join us in sending letters and emails to Richard Fain. Nitra posted their addys a few post back.

Mr. Haynes,

We live in Oklahoma, but like the Houston area and we love Galveston Island. IMO, The ports are no uglier than any other. No one ever said they were supposed to be pretty.As long as they are safe, and functional, We're happy.

Well..I think it would just be stupid to put the Rhapsody (back) in NO..

She was there for a short while,thats where we first sailed on her.

But (not insulting any N'orlians)..But why take her from an area that loves her,and return her to an area that is struggling...

And talk about ugly?? Please....Have you seen the view down the Mississippi:p

Galveston is a B-utiful seafaring little seaside community.Yes it has some industrial issues.. Thats because its a SHIP PORT! :rolleyes:

Miami is Beautiful because of the rich Mansions lining the canal...

But it is surrounded by industrial hubbub as well.

Port Canaveral..Not exactly a stellar sail away there..

And sailing from petro central,also known as the Port of Houston has nothing to do with sailing from Galveston...Its over an hour and a half away.There is one chemical plant in Texas CIty..visable as a little blurb from Rhapsody's view opposite of port,and thats it...Are we saying that we don't drive through other uninviting areas in other state to get to port destinations? I think not..

I too will write a letter..I will be thanking them for the long stint with the Rhapsody..And the wonderful service we have had the past 5 years..

And implore them to deploy any RCI vessel here year round..

I agree with you brn2crz. I do love the Rhapsody but I enjoy the Voyager Class ship as well. I just want year round cruising close to home. I would be happy with either Galveston or Bayport lets just get a ship back year round.

Airfare is outrageous and it is so simple to drive to Galveston park your truck get on the shuttle and sail away. Do we really care what the port looks like? I don't I am looking forward to 7 fun filled days!:D

First post and you already alert us to the fact that you are not well informed.

Houston: 4th largestt city in the US. What is the income tax rate in your city? Houston? Why it is Zero! Like the car you drive? Thank Houston. Like the lightweight prodcuts that are probably abounding in your home/apartment? Thank Houston. Like how warm your home is in the winter, or cool in the summer? Thank Houston. This could go on for pages and pages. But the point is simple:

Why reply to you at all? Come onboard, learn some manners.

No I do not live in Houston. Houston is just another fine suburb of Ft Worth.

Wow, we are really getting desperate now. I am also going on the Rapsody this week. Looks like the moving of our beloved ship to NOLA is doing what I thought it would, insult all of us. It also looks as if they are second guessing themselves at corporate. I noted that many other ships show Sept-Dec. 2008. However the Rapsody seems to be stuck in limbo after Alaska.

I love the people who trash Houston and Texas ports. Why not just move it back to Florida where all the other ships are? Who cares to go to the western caribbean? Bla Bla Bla. How funny. O.K. lets move it to Corpus Christi? (works for me)

I will check and see, but I know that Rapsody is scheduled into NOLA. Looks like if enough grumbleing keeps up, they may just send her back to us.

NOTE: No word from anyone on Bayport Terminal yet. YOU KNOW Houston is going to make some really great offers to lure a ship there. The fat lady has NOT sung yet. :D

We live in South Louisiana and have sailed twice from NOLA and twice from Galveston. I much prefer sailing out of Galveston. I've read that they have improved the NOLA port and am willing to try it. We found the Galveston port has everything down pat. It was easy to find, easy to get to, and VERY each to check in and board the ship. No waiting and no crowds. The folks onboard were mostly from Texas and Louisiana and we loved sailing the Rhapsody so much that we booked again for the following year. We have the Voyager booked for next Feb and can't wait. Having never sailed a Voyager class, we are looking forward to it. I would sail Rhapsody out of NOLA but don't mind the drive to Texas at all. Please RCCL.....bring back Rhapsody to the Gulf area.

Hi ya'll,

We took everyones advise and sent letters to both Mr. Fain and Goldstein, and yes they both answered, couldn't give us any definite results, but it would seem that as they mentioned to Nitra, they are getting an earful. Thanks Nitra for the info and suggestion to write to them, also to let you know what a fun group everyone was on the May 6, cruise.

We to would not care to go to NO, (nothing against the people) would just much prefer to drive to Houston or Galveston.

Hopefully the squeeky wheel syndrome will work for all of us by 2009.

We did talk to Mary Ann, and she mentioned she was moving to Radience, but that had been changed once before, so she wasn't totally sure if it would happen.

I agree 100% Nitra!

" Shuttle transfers were the most expensive in the USA, and the Houston area is by far the least attractive city in the USA. The Houston are looks, smells, and is the largest petrochemical complex in the world."

Hey, Don Hayes, don't know where you live, but why don't you tell us what you really think about Houston???? Believe it or not, some of us actually choose to live here and love our city. In this area, near NASA/Johnson Space Center and Clear Lake/Galveston Bay, we're seeing LOTS of people moving in and enjoying our water-influenced lifestyle, historically low cost of living, and low home prices. (You can live in a completely updated 2800sf four bedroom home with a pool and a boatdock on a deep water canal for around $350,000). That smell is $$$$!!

In respect to shuttle transfers...there is a company offering transfers from Hobby Airport (and two other north Houston sites) to the Galveston cruise terminal with free secured parking for $29/pp round trip. Is that the "most expensive in the USA"??

The new Bayport terminal has been put on the back burner with completion sometime 2008. We are hoping the reason is because no ships were interested in home porting here in the immediate future and not that the Port Authority just dangled the economic impact so they could get their bond issue passed and won't complete it until the entire container port is finished which could be several years. When it is completed it is said to be state-of-the-art (and ten minutes from my house).

The first high rise around Clear Lake has been topped off at 30 stories, 95 percent sold out. Occupancy this summer. 950 square foot unit goes for around 1/4 a million. 2,300 sq. ft. a million. That is high for us down here where an average 3,500 square foot house with a pool in an upscale neighborhood goes for around $300K. It is said that eventually 20 or so high rises will ring the lake. So somebody must think living here is good. No income tax, $150K property tax exemption for 65 and over, school taxes frozen at 65, might be the reason. Houston is close enough to enjoy the cultural, sports and shopping amenites but far enough way that we don't feel like we live in the city with its attendant traffic woes, crime, etc.

Come on Down!

Tucker in Texas

First post and you already alert us to the fact that you are not well informed.

Houston: 4th largestt city in the US. What is the income tax rate in your city? Houston? Why it is Zero! Like the car you drive? Thank Houston. Like the lightweight prodcuts that are probably abounding in your home/apartment? Thank Houston. Like how warm your home is in the winter, or cool in the summer? Thank Houston. This could go on for pages and pages. But the point is simple:

Why reply to you at all? Come onboard, learn some manners.

No I do not live in Houston. Houston is just another fine suburb of Ft Worth.

Jim, just curious, why are you fussing at J&G, I actually took it that they were being supportive of Houston TO DON HAYES, that the smell is money and that folks are coming to Houston in droves. It is actually DON that is dissing Houston. Just my take.

I sure am hoping we can do some difference

As Nitra said, let's not give up. Keep sending email and letters. I am so happy to see that they are responding. Sure, they aren't promising us anything, but we know they are paying attention.

We may live in Ok. But we are close enough to the Texas line that we feel like Texans. (However,we draw the line at college football ) But we do love them Cowboys:D

I think we should also start an E-petition... (i dunno,i just made it up)

But start a new thread...With the first post a written protest.The originator (Nitra hint hint) should then sign it.Poster 2 copy and paste Nitras sig,sign it and so on and so on...Then link it to RCI in an E-mail after we have 1000 sigs...

I think we should also start an E-petition... (i dunno,i just made it up)

But start a new thread...With the first post a written protest.The originator (Nitra hint hint) should then sign it.Poster 2 copy and paste Nitras sig,sign it and so on and so on...Then link it to RCI in an E-mail after we have 1000 sigs...

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh, I like that idea. Say NItra?????:D

Archived