Can we take a coffee pot?

No. It's a fire hazard. But room service is free and there is a menu card in your room where you can set up a time for them to deliver coffee and breakfrast in the morning (they will call right before coming).

I hope this helps!

KateO

As others have said it´s a NO as it´s a fire hazard and while others might say it´s OK to bring one, don´t do it please.

The other thing you are referring to might be a frensh press.

300px-French_press.jpg

You can order hot water from room service and use this to make your coffee without any elctrical device and causing potential risk to the ship and your fellow passengers.:)

Thanks for the reply and pic, but where do you get one?

I´m sorry, not being from the US I can´t be too much of a help here, though I just put french press into google and it came up with some hits including this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Anyone-French-Press-Maker/dp/B0007W0ILM

I have no idea if this is a good price or not, just to give you an idea.

My DH and I were on the AOS 4/22(our 1st cruise, the the way!)and I had hoped there would be coffee pots in the cabin. I found out from these posts that it is a fire hazard. I neeeeed coffee 1st thing in the morning. But don't you worry! I called room service at 6:30 am and had my coffee by 6:40! Hot and very good. I did that every morning and was pleased how fast it came. I want to find out for next time if they will bring a carafe of coffee.

You can also pre-order coffee from room service, to be delivered at a specified time. We used this as our wake up call a few times. Keep a robe ready, when they call for room service delivery, it means they are right outside your door!

A french press is available at Target, Bed bath and beyond, Walmart, ect. Where every one time used dust collectors can be found-:) I think the coffee on the ship is good enough to make this a never use again product. For fun I ordered a pot of hot water and a pot of coffee. Made my own with the pot of water and french press and then sampled each. The ship coffeee was just as good. Hope this helps.

How is one electrical appliance more dangerous than another???? Hair dryers, electric curlers, curling irons (which get hot enough to burn you and furniture)...

I haven't figured that one out, but since cruise lines ask you not to bring coffee pots or clothing irons, I think it's best if people just comply. I have to agree with you, my daughters flat iron gets extremely hot. We have her pack a hot pad from our kitchen with her and don't allow her to place it on the counter. We also are vigilant about checking to make sure it's unplugged, not just turned off. I haven't used heat appliances (just blow dryers) in probably 20 years, they are scary!

I haven't figured that one out, but since cruise lines ask you not to bring coffee pots or clothing irons, I think it's best if people just comply. I have to agree with you, my daughters flat iron gets extremely hot. We have her pack a hot pad from our kitchen with her and don't allow her to place it on the counter. We also are vigilant about checking to make sure it's unplugged, not just turned off. I haven't used heat appliances (just blow dryers) in probably 20 years, they are scary!

Personally I think the figuring it out part is pretty simple...RCCL has a service that they charge for ironing. They don't, as other ships supply self service laundry, they charge for that as well. They don't offer curling and flat irons, so you are welcome to bring those electrical hazards with you. You can bring a power strip with you and all the gadgets that you can plug into them! They draw the line with an iron and will gladly iron for you with their own fire hazards the dreaded iron!

It's not unlike the booze issue. They sell you booze by the glass and say "for safety sake" you can't purchase your own bottle in the room. You can get snockered out on the pool deck one drink at a time, but you can't enjoy your libation in the privacy of your own cabin, unless it is per glass purchased on the ship. For safety sake mind you!

I think we just need to follow the rules, but I have no problem asking why, when something clearly makes no sense, or lets say is at least hypocritical.

I'll say it again, while open flames are allowed in cabins I don't understand why certain appliances are not? Wait yes I do...$$$$ And as Seinfeld would say, "Not that theres anything wrong with that!" LOL

It's their ship, I'll comply. But, my question was not yet answered about the recent poster who said that now you can not bring a steamer either? This would in my opinion further my theory...

Meltiphil, it seems you are going to Alaska in a few days! Wow, I can't wait till my 30th anniversary in 2010, that is where we are going.

As to the coffee, if this is your first cruise I can understand why you are concerned, I always find myself in a panick when we travel for the same reason; I drink Community coffee w/chickory and I have to have a cup as soon as I wake. Rest assured you have nothing to worry about; you can pre-order from room service every night to have the coffee delivered at a certain time the next morning and as one poster said; it will serve as your wakeup call. Another poster asked if they could get a carafe` of coffee delivered; the answer is yes, one cup is just a tease:D I had a carafe` delivered every morning at 7am. I think that 7am is the earliest time on the room service card, but you can write in a time of delivery earlier if you want, they do deliver 24 hours. I don't want to wake up, call and have to wait. I did have to call them once in Key West because they didn't have my 6:15 delivery and they were there in just a few minutes and called later to appologize, we never said anything I think they realized the mistake on their own. I just had it early that day so I could wake up to see the beautiful sunrise:D

Anyway, if you don't want to wait for your coffee use the coffee delivery, if you want to make your own use the same service to have your hot water delivered at a certain time.

One the other hand, you will be in Alaska and won't know what time of the day it is anyway....he-he.

Have fun and enjoy your coffee and your cruise.

P.S. The coffee in the Windjammer is NOT the same as the dinning room and room service, take your carafe` with you or bring an insulated coffee mug.

Sorry, I do ramble on so:eek:

I am picky about my coffee and think all the coffee offered on the ship is horrible! I love a GOOD cup in the morning out on the balcony so we do bring the french press. There is a good selection at Target you will find them in the same area as the tea kettles not in the coffee maker isle..

Order the pot of hot water and made a darn good pot in your press. I do bring some baggies to dispose of the grounds. I only wish I could take the press to dinner in the evening so I could have some good coffee with my desert-- Yep I am really picky... Don't be surprised if your neighbors are knocking on your cabin door wondering where that great coffee smell is comming from;)

Bev

You can also pre-order coffee from room service, to be delivered at a specified time. We used this as our wake up call a few times. Keep a robe ready, when they call for room service delivery, it means they are right outside your door!

Absolutely agree! When the phone call comes, grab a robe or cover-up, or make sure you are already dressed. They will be there within 2 minutes.

I actually have a french press and use it as decoration in my kitchen...lol

Can someone tell me how to use it? I suppose I could look it up online, but since this is the topic, I would like to hear others experiences.

I usually brew Dunkin Donuts coffee at home and work, would this be the same thing as brewing?

tia!

I'll say it again, while open flames are allowed in cabins I don't understand why certain appliances are not?

Well actually, I think it has more to do with the wattage of the device than the fact that the device itself gets hot. For example, the hair dryers they supply on board are far lower wattage than those you would typically use at home...that's why so many people complain about them.

Put two heavy duty devices (i.e. a hair dryer and a coffee maker) on that double outlet, and you will likely draw so much current that it could cause an electrical fire hazard or cause a breaker to trip.

That's aside from the obvious hazards of people letting coffee pots boil dry or leaving a hot iron sitting on the desk.

Not saying that cruise lines aren't trying to maximize profit, just that there are legitimate safety concerns as well.

It seems like someone once said we can not bring a coffe pot, but the mentioned something else and I cant remember what it was? If you know please let me know and where to find one. Thanks:)

Try this! (I pray this link works.)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10182077

This is Melitta's Perfect Brew Filter Cone: a one-cup coffee maker. It costs $3.00 at Bed Bath and Beyond. You set it on a coffee mug, put a #2 paper filter in it, add your favorite coffee, pour hot water over it, stir the slurry as they say, and voila!

I bring along my Starbucks French Roast coffee, my little plastic Melitta thing, a supply of filters, and then I order a pot of boiling water from room service, and I am in heaven with exactly the coffee that makes me really happy!

I find cleanup with this to be far easier than dealing with my little baby French press that I used to bring along with me. The French press was glass; this Melitta thing is plastic. :)

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Well actually, I think it has more to do with the wattage of the device than the fact that the device itself gets hot. For example, the hair dryers they supply on board are far lower wattage than those you would typically use at home...that's why so many people complain about them.

Put two heavy duty devices (i.e. a hair dryer and a coffee maker) on that double outlet, and you will likely draw so much current that it could cause an electrical fire hazard or cause a breaker to trip.

That's aside from the obvious hazards of people letting coffee pots boil dry or leaving a hot iron sitting on the desk.

Not saying that cruise lines aren't trying to maximize profit, just that there are legitimate safety concerns as well.

I can agree that they can be safety concerns. Precautions should be taken for sure. I just think the rule is over the top. My straightening iron is just as much of fire hazard as my travel iron, and yet it's allowed. (probably not for long)

One assumes that a smoker takes precautions so that the lit ciggarette does not cause a fire, and that the smoker won't simly toss it out, or perhaps fall asleep while smoking in bed. (Happened to my Grandfather, he almost died) I would appreiciate the same courtesy that I know how to properly use and shut off a small travel iron. I esspecially like the irons that have self shut off. I have never fallen asleep while ironing. :D

RCCL coffee is excellent, no reason to make your own. Take some $1 bills with you, you can't tip room service with your seapass card!

The reason that one might like to make their own is that they feel it is not at all good! But I'm glad you like that java as is! :confused:

I can agree that they can be safety concerns. Precautions should be taken for sure. I just think the rule is over the top. My straightening iron is just as much of fire hazard as my travel iron, and yet it's allowed. (probably not for long)

One assumes that a smoker takes precautions so that the lit ciggarette does not cause a fire, and that the smoker won't simly toss it out, or perhaps fall asleep while smoking in bed. (Happened to my Grandfather, he almost died) I would appreiciate the same courtesy that I know how to properly use and shut off a small travel iron. I esspecially like the irons that have self shut off. I have never fallen asleep while ironing. :D

Not want to sound rude and not implying you are not following the rules, just stating as it is.

Their ships - their rules....

don´t like it - vote with your money and don´t give them your business.

RCCL coffee is excellent, no reason to make your own. Take some $1 bills with you, you can't tip room service with your seapass card!

Excellent??:eek: Ok, I respect your opinion........if not your tastes:)

Archived