Zuiderdam 8/14 "charlie"

seaventurer

For those of you sailing this weekend on the ZUI, as I am, I have offered my unofficial yet educated perspective on the developments and potential outcome of this hurricane and how it may affect our cruise.

A.) I live in Miami - all of our news and information is focused on hurricanes when they approach.

B.) Our eastern Caribbean cruise will not be affected by the storm. FYI, Jamaica is not in the direct path of the storm (nor is it included in our itinerary) - and it will pass over Hispanola tomorrow (directly over Havana), then into the lower keys by later afternoon early evening Thursday.

C.) Charlie's path (forecaster's concensus) will take it over South Florida but from the west coast avoiding a direct hit in Miami / Ft. Lauderdale - this will occur Friday for about a 12 hour period from Friday 3AM to Friday 3PM.

D.) The largest problem I see are those of you flying to Florida on Friday. At times, airports close / airlines cancel flights during hurricane warnings/watches and remember, any storm change direction at any time (like the weather)...

CHECK YOUR FLIGHTS WITH YOUR AIRLINE IF YOU ARE FLYING IN ON FRIDAY - CALL TOMORROW OR CHECK THE WEB SITE OF THE AIRLINE.

Summary-- I suspect that by Saturday AM, the aftermath of the storm in South Florida will include some wind damage and minor flooding (for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale) - Unless the ship takes precautions and arrives late, we should be OK. Seas may be a bit choppy through the Gulf on our way to HMC.

Seas are typically FLAT after a hurricane - so as we travel further south, there should be very small seas (4-6 feet)...one last note, there are other depressions coming off the African coast but should not affect our voyage.

See you on board...

B.) Our eastern Caribbean cruise will not be affected by the storm. FYI, Jamaica is not in the direct path of the storm (nor is it included in our itinerary) - and it will pass over Hispanola tomorrow (directly over Havana), then into the lower keys by later afternoon early evening Thursday.

Jamaica is NOT in the direct path of the storm?? Either you're wrong or those stupid satellite shots from the National Weather Service are screwed up again. As of 6pm tonight, Charley was right on top of Jamaica. Hmmm do I smell a conspiracy here???

Try this link, Seaventurer...

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm2/caribbeansatellite_large.html

Jamaica was SPARED from a direct hit- A direct hit refers to when the eye of the storm passes over a specific landmark. While Jamaica did and is experiencing heavy wind and rains (mostly in the mountains), it did not receive a direct hit- this does not mean things won't be pretty...Havana of course in Cuba will be hit tomorrow...so for all you fault finders, I apologize...just trying to help with again, my UNOFFICIAL summary !

Hi Alison:) from what our local weather guy said....looks like Bonnie is heading for the Florida Panhandle:eek: ........and Charley is heading for the Keys:eek: .......

Hi Lois...yeah I have been hearing this for much of today...but we all seem to be trying to figure out where the eye of this thing is now. From the sat pictures it sure looks like it is right on top of Jamaica...direct hit or not. :)

I hope all are safe. Take no chances those of you in Florida and along the expected path.

We in Boston could well be "visited"....depends upon the course; depends if it reorganizes after it passes over land and again travels over water.....

Be Safe.

Archived