TSA locks?

Where can you buy TSA approved luggage locks? I guess I've been very naive on my cruises and never questioned putting my luggage out without locks. I think I should buy locks before our next cruise in 2.5 weeks. And how much do they cost, please?

I got mine at Tamperseal.com - They sell the ones that have the green/red indicator on them to tell you if they have been opened by someone using the TSA key. They're called SearchAlert. I ordered them on Monday and they arrived today. (Shipped from Tampa to Maine via the post office.)

They also sell TSA approved locking straps in case you have old hard-sided suitcases with built-in locks.

Where can you buy TSA approved luggage locks? I guess I've been very naive on my cruises and never questioned putting my luggage out without locks. I think I should buy locks before our next cruise in 2.5 weeks. And how much do they cost, please?

When we fly to the port, we use cable ties that can be purchased at Wal Mart. Should a TSA want to get into your luggage, they are suppose to put another one on - a few weeks ago when we landed at Charles de Gaulle, we knew immediately that they had been in and didn't replace it.

Once at the pier, we put our good old fashioned combination longs on our bags.

We just bought a few on the Magellen's website - they're a travel clothing and merchandise co. It's a fun site to look around, though a bit pricey.

We're flying next week; then, we'll see if TSA uses their "tool" or just cuts them off - that's been reported because these locks haven't been around that long.

Barb :)

Just an FYI, bought ours at Target, then found out that there are only certain locks that are REALLY TSA approved. The ones I bought actually were :) much to my surprise. Our luggage was opened on the return out of FLL, we bring stereo equip. so looks a little weird I'm sure, a note was inside and luggage was relocked up tight. I had put on the zip ties as well, which were cut off but since the locks were back on and locked, I was pleased. I was expecting bolt cutters for my new locks but they worked!

I purchased two combination TSA approved locks from the Magellans catalog. They sold for $19.95, and there was also a set of two that sold for a cheaper price, around $10.95. Magellans will replace the locks if TSA inadvertently cuts them off. I chose the more expensive ones simply because I wanted a sturdier lock.

Do you think that they are worth it? Or that the cable ties are better? I am just afraid that TSA people will open them up and take stuff since they have a key. Friends of ours came back from a cruise out of Miami and they checked in at the pier. When they got home to LGA, their suitcases had been opened, souviners stolen and no note that TSA had been in there. However, he did NOT have locks on his suit case. I am just thinking to put cable ties on them and then regular locks when we leave the hotel for the pier.

We have a friend who's in charge of Continental's baggage dept. at a large international airport, who says TSA locks aren't worth the money, and don't provide the security you might imagine (i.e., others may have the keys). We've always used cable ties, and that's worked perfectly. The times our luggage has been inspected (that's about 1/2 the time we fly), the cable tie has been replaced. And, as a bonus, we use colorful cable ties, so when TSA doesn't replace them, they make our luggage easier to spot.

Do you think that they are worth it? Or that the cable ties are better? I am just afraid that TSA people will open them up and take stuff since they have a key.
TSA folks can get in as easily with cable ties. The key is to not pack valuables.

I have neon cable ties that we got from wal-mart. Although the cable ties can be cut & the suit cases opened, you would know if someone cut the ties. If you have the TSA locks, someone could open them and you would never know until you got home if something was missing!

I have neon cable ties that we got from wal-mart. Although the cable ties can be cut & the suit cases opened, you would know if someone cut the ties. If you have the TSA locks, someone could open them and you would never know until you got home if something was missing!

How would you automatically know if something is missing because the cables were cut? By law, the TSA has the right to search your suitcases. So, let's say, you arrive at the destination airport and notice that the cables have been cut, what do you do then, go through your entire suitcase in the airport to see if anything is missing? If you don't pack anything valuable in your check-in, you will have nothing to worry about. Just out of curiosity, what do those who are worried about locking their suitcases, pack in their checked baggage?

Here's my 2 cents. I have now gone through 4 TSA-approved locks since they first came out in January. Found the larger, heavier ones at a local travel shop for $10. It seems not all airports are aware of these locks. If you are traveling out of larger cities, they do. Smaller ones, no. Flew out of Savannah and they cut the lock off, although very kindly put it in the case. I have also found them very difficult to change the combination numbers and not have them suddenly change to another combo after being tossed around the luggage department. At this point, I'm going back to the old reliable cables and quit wasting money - - - and, of course, not pack anything of value in my bags.

Archived